• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Louis finally gets a Wizard comic con.

49 posts in this topic

Never had an issue in St. Louis and live about 3 hours away to the East so I have been there plenty of times. Where I dont go is East St. Louis. The malls outside of St. Louis are fine coming from the East as well such as O'Fallon. Collinsville and Caseyville are about the last stops before you want to just keep going till you cross the bridge. As some have mentioned crime has come way down in the last 15 years, but it got a bad reputation in the 90s at least that area did.

I highly recommend seeing the Arch if you havent.

O'Fallon, Collinsville and Caseyville are NOT "downtown St. Louis."

$70 admission?!? Wow. That's ambition.

I thought so too. I hope it's worth it.

About the cost of a movie with the wife... and you get to leave the wife at home. Win-win I say.

That's an expensive movie. Unless by movie, you mean peep show.

$70 admission?!? Wow. That's ambition.

I thought so too. I hope it's worth it.

About the cost of a movie with the wife... and you get to leave the wife at home. Win-win I say.

That's an expensive movie. Unless by movie, you mean peep show.

If you buy the advanced tickets, it averages out to $20 a day.

And if you head just a little south or southwest of the convention center, you'll be in gentrified, affluent neighborhoods. So there's that. St. Louis is not really any more dangerous than towns of similar sizes.

Violent crime has gone down in St. Louis over the last few years, but at a much slower rate than the nation. St. Louis still regularly ranks statistically as one of the most dangerous places to live, though in recent years it's fallen behind Detroit and Flint, MI on the FBI's annual report.

Being in the top three makes it a little more dangerous than towns of similar size.

As far as overall crime (burglary and auto theft aren't considered violent), St. Louis far exceeds every city on the Crime List Index.

It's worse than Baltimore? :eek:

Yep. It ranks higher than Baltimore.

Never had an issue in St. Louis and live about 3 hours away to the East so I have been there plenty of times. Where I dont go is East St. Louis. The malls outside of St. Louis are fine coming from the East as well such as O'Fallon. Collinsville and Caseyville are about the last stops before you want to just keep going till you cross the bridge. As some have mentioned crime has come way down in the last 15 years, but it got a bad reputation in the 90s at least that area did.

I highly recommend seeing the Arch if you havent.

O'Fallon, Collinsville and Caseyville are NOT "downtown St. Louis."

Not sure where I mentioned they were. Was merely trying to mention if someone is coming from the East where the last good places to stop might be or to shop before you get to East St. Louis.

And if you head just a little south or southwest of the convention center, you'll be in gentrified, affluent neighborhoods. So there's that. St. Louis is not really any more dangerous than towns of similar sizes.

Violent crime has gone down in St. Louis over the last few years, but at a much slower rate than the nation. St. Louis still regularly ranks statistically as one of the most dangerous places to live, though in recent years it's fallen behind Detroit and Flint, MI on the FBI's annual report.

Being in the top three makes it a little more dangerous than towns of similar size.

As far as overall crime (burglary and auto theft aren't considered violent), St. Louis far exceeds every city on the Crime List Index.

But isn't that bc they lump in East St. Louis?

But isn't that bc they lump in East St. Louis?

No. East St. Louis has its own breakdown and if it could increase its population to meet the criteria of most lists (usually a minimum of 200,000 people) it would easily be #1 in murders per 1000.

North City is really bad. South City has some really bad areas. South of Manchester Rd up through the heart of the city has some really bad areas. Until Shaws Garden started buying up and expanding, down around Blaine and Thurman was one of the most violent crack infested areas anywhere around. Even areas close to just west of the Central West End on both sides of Delmar (including Wellston) are horrible. Areas along the riverfront are really run down and full of prostitution and crime. One of the most infamous drug dealing spots in the whole city is right there at the gas station and hotel where Grand ends at Hwy 70.

Maybe that doesn't entirely reflect downtown St. Louis proper, but the area is so small and easy to veer off into, that it can make knowledge of your surroundings important. I haven't lived in downtown St. Louis in over ten years, but when I did I got to know my way around quickly. I had to.

For the last eight years I've worked on the outskirts of Washington Park, which borders ESL and its really bad as well, featuring the media covered 'Gas Station of Death', known for it's numerous murders of unsuspecting travelers venturing off the highway before they get to STL.

Not long ago here some drug dealers shot at an ambulance getting on the highway because they apparently felt they needed to properly finish the job.

Working on the border of it, we're pretty well out of range of what goes on, but the specter of it is something we're very cognizant of.

The greater St. Louis area, including the metro east is an economically poor overall area and has some of the worst crime areas in the country. You can live your whole life here and never personally experience anything, but it just makes sense to be aware.