• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since greggy's too lazy to post a Diego report...

51 posts in this topic

Actually, this is a pm I wrote a forum member, and it seemed to make a decent recap of the show, so I thought I would post it for others to read as well. Cheers.

First of all, San Diego is just absolutely beautiful, and the setting really does make for a great time, comics or no. The convention center is right downtown, as well, so it's an easy walk to dinner/drinks/what have you. The what have you ending up with greggy sleeping in deathlok's bed, but you didn't hear that from me blush.gif

Some convention impressions -

There was a ton of beautiful art for sale - I sure don't get a chance to see much nice art here in Vancouver. No big name art dealers really make it up here, as most seem to be either California or east coast. A *KILLER* neal adams splash was available (gl 81 pg 4, I think)... but the asking was 15k. Yowza. Lots of kirby, ditko, etc. Romitaman had some absolutely stunning pieces. A huge stack of pages where prime byrne x-men pages were run of the mill for the stack.

I was sorely tempted by a weird tales of the future #2 ($1200) but thought better of it given the price. Actually the only books I really looked at with a view to buying, were pre codes for some reason. Had the nice tomb of terror 15 cover for sale. Reasonable price ~$150 but in the end it was too beat up for me to pull the trigger. Startling Terror Tales 11, with the all time classic LB Cole death spider cover, $320, was going to buy until I took it out of the mylar and saw that the subscription crease was so severe that the bottom inch had torn. It looked extremely fragile and fairly brittle, as if one wrong move could split the cover in half along the subcription crease! crazy.gif

Mister Mystery 12 was available, with the classic injury to eye cover, but in fair shape at $150 I didn't bother.

Several Weird tales of the future #5s were at the show, along with one #4, but none of them really said "buy me". I think RTS had the #4, and it looked like a bargain until I noticed the fairly severe water damage and rusty staples. It was reasonably priced, but I just can't stand owning water damaged books, so it wasn't hard to pass on, for me.

RTS actually had a number of nice books, include *four* Suspense #4s and one Suspense #3. They also had two copies of the Criminals on the Run "fish in face" LB Cole cover, but I'm kind of out of the market for a while and would have needed a very nice book and/or a very nice price to get me to pull the trigger on anything significant.

Bechara had some beautiful books, that I guess he must have bought at the last heritage auction, such as the National #7 9.6 (beautiful colors - the deepest red) and Target (wolverton cover) 9.6, both mile highs. Also the classic Xela airbrushed robot cover on Startling 44(?) 9.4. Sick books. I didn't ask the prices of these; beyond my range.

Neat stuff had an action 1, as did hippy comix(?). Metro had two Tec 27s and a marvel 1, I think neat stuff had a marvel 1 as well, and there may have been another copy as well. Actually neat stuff had some of the other early actions with the non-superman Leo O'Mealia (sp?) covers such as #3.

Verzyl had very nice stuff, including some stunning mile highs and a 9.0 Red Raven 1 (at least I think it was him that had it - I didn't take notes and the dealers are starting to blur together a little bit).

All in all it was an excellent chance to meet people, look at eye candy, wander around, meet artists, etc. Not really a place to buy expensive comics though, unless you're willing to pay for the convenience of selection.

Also a lot of tramps there selling nude pictures of themselves / kisses/ photos etc. Interestingly, one of the dealers is the drummer from System of a Down. He was dating of one the models, apparently. Again - eye candy, but the idea of paying some woman to get a picture taken with her turns me off.

I did go surfing as well, which was great fun. I tried to not spend to much time at the convention itself, in fact, and tried to enjoy the city a bit.

cheers,

Dan

sleeping.gif Where are the scans of you book purchases fool?

I'm waiting for redhook to do something with scans of my "special" book before I post the definitive con report! shocked.gif

What purchases foolio? You know I didn't buy anything!

I went to the con because it's something I always wanted to check out at least once, but I've cut back my collecting in a serious way lately, you know that. So why are you asking? 893naughty-thumb.gif Last time I buy a lap dance from one of the San Diego babies for you! mad.gif

..and it may interest the board members to know that despite his gruff, "lynch-Ian" persona ( tongue.gif ) , Deathlok (Rick) is a hell of a nice guy. A little fruity maybe, but all right! thumbsup2.gif

..and it may interest the board members to know that despite his gruff, "lynch-Ian" persona ( tongue.gif ) , Deathlok (Rick) is a hell of a nice guy. A little fruity maybe, but all right! thumbsup2.gif
fruity? confused.gif

Come to think of it, probably my highlight of the entire show was meeting Sergio Aragones. He is just so damn cool! Instantly likeable and for my money, one hell of a cartoonist. cool.gif He also offered to a do free sketch even though he must have done hundreds of them. Sergio gets the bronty seal of approval! thumbsup2.gif

Any truth to the rumor that Neatstuff charges $5 for 'handling' each comic you buy from them at a Con?

laugh.gif

Don't know if they charge a handling fee, but they were working sales very aggressively. They were practically begging this guy to buy a Spider-man #1 10.0 from them for $500.

fruity? confused.gif

Aw shucks, I'm just kidding. Sorry, I'm in a weird mood right now.

(Not that there's anything wrong with "that", btw)

fruity? confused.gif

Aw shucks, I'm just kidding. Sorry, I'm in a weird mood right now.

(Not that there's anything wrong with "that", btw)

I just have never refered to someone as fruity before, unless you were making the ambiguous assumption. Which Saturday night should have proved otherwise.

Good report, Bronty. Got any pictures?

No pictures yet, as my friend's camera was on the fritz. However, aardvark88 may be getting some pics soon, I will post to this thread if/when available.

Not only that, but they were even giving the hard sell on batman milk containers ($5 each) from the 1960s!
That was another guy, not Carbanaro and co. He is a local I think, always sells those milk cartons and wacky packages posters. Weird guy. I think he has some books too.

Good report, Bronty. Got any pictures?
Are you saying you want to see pictures of Greggy on my bed? 893naughty-thumb.gif

So it's TRUE?????? 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

again....what happens in Deathlok's room...stays in Deathlok's room. Damn you Bronty! 893frustrated.gif

Are you sure? Because I swear it was the same table.... but then as I mentioned above, the dealers are starting to meld together for me a little bit.

OT - Metro did have that Cap Marvel Jr 29 9.9 double cover; as well... that was nice cloud9.gif