• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the Innocent with DJ first print $135 shipped

46 posts in this topic

The usual rules apply: no HOS or probies. First unqualified "take it" in thread takes it.

I pay shipping within the U.S. If you're outside the U.S. I subsidize the first $10 of shipping. Outside the U.S., I ship only via methods that will allow me to fully insure the book, so shipping can get expensive. My listings are honest and so are my customs declarations; so please know the rules in your country and determine whether this will be a problem for you.

Here it is. A 1954 first print of Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham.

This is the book that nearly destroyed the comic book industry. If not for Dr. Wertham's work, there probably would not have been a U.S. Senate investigation into comic books nor a Comics Code. If Wertham had gotten his way, the sale of most comic books would have been banned to kids under the age of 15. Here's your chance to read why.

You can tell it's a first print by the R colophon on the publication page. For more on how to tell a first print from on of the zillion other prints, check out the Seduction of the Innocent website SeductionOfTheInnocent.org.

This book does not have the bibliography. You can see the stub in the next-to-last photo indicating that the bibliography was neatly excised, as it was for almost all first prints.

Book is in great shape. It used to belong to a church library, so there's a stamp inside the FC and a card jacket there as well. There are no further markings in the book. Dust jacket has some wear and tears, particularly at the spine. The dust jacket has some fading of the red letters on the spine. Interior spine break is pictured in the photo of the title page. Tape at the top of the dust jacket spine should be evident in the photos.

Up next... many photos.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

The usual rules apply: no HOS or probies. First unqualified "take it" in thread takes it.

I pay shipping within the U.S. If you're outside the U.S. I subsidize the first $10 of shipping. Outside the U.S., I ship only via methods that will allow me to fully insure the book, so shipping can get expensive. My listings are honest and so are my customs declarations; so please know the rules in your country and determine whether this will be a problem for you.

Here it is. A 1954 first print of Seduction of the Innocent by Dr. Fredric Wertham.

This is the book that nearly destroyed the comic book industry. If not for Dr. Wertham's work, there probably would not have been a U.S. Senate investigation into comic books nor a Comics Code. If Wertham had gotten his way, the sale of most comic books would have been banned to kids under the age of 15. Here's your chance to read why.

You can tell it's a first print by the R colophon on the publication page. For more on how to tell a first print from on of the zillion other prints, check out the Seduction of the Innocent website SeductionOfTheInnocent.org.

This book does not have the bibliography. You can see the stub in the next-to-last photo indicating that the bibliography was neatly excised, as it was for almost all first prints.

Book is in great shape. It used to belong to a church library, so there's a stamp inside the FC and a card jacket there as well. There are no further markings in the book. Dust jacket has some wear and tears, particularly at the spine. The dust jacket has some fading of the red letters on the spine. Interior spine break is pictured in the photo of the title page. Tape at the top of the dust jacket spine should be evident in the photos.

Up next... many photos.

:takeit:

Up next... many photos.

:takeit:

Bring this gem to Denver Comic Con and I'll take it off your hands :baiting:

I'm not in the market for this - but I'm curious. If most of the first prints have the list of referenced comics excised, do later editions have the list? If so, how is the value effected?

If memory serves the book went back to print a time or two in the 50's, without the bib page, and the first time it was readily available was in the 1972 university press reprint. (Sorry, don't remember WHICH university)

I haven't ever set eyes on the more recent reprints, but I'm leaning toward thinking that it would be included there too.

SOMEWHERE in the basement Crypt of Comics I have a xerox copy of the original. If I can lay my hands on it I'll post it here.

Twisty, do you have a pic of page two also? It would be good to have the both posted for those interested (and I won't have to go digging in the Crypt)