• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sooo...this is gorgeous. How much did it cost?

57 posts in this topic

I think a lot of '70s art is becoming relatively underpriced ...

:wishluck:

lol...I didn't mean that '70s art is going down in value, just that much of it seems to be going up at a (much) slower pace than '60s large art and the molten mid-'80s to early '90s OA market. All of the really nutty prices we've seen have come from the '60s, '80s and '90s over the past couple of years. hm

It's a great splash, no doubt. But it only appeals to those inside the hobby (who love the storyline). At these prices, isn't that a limiting factor? Wouldn't an early Romita spidey cover or some other iconic image be a better buy for the money? I know we all buy what we like, but at six figures we all need to consider resale, no?

Hari, I think you're being very rational, but rationality escaped this market in 2012, if not before! At, say, $120-$130K, I'd certainly prefer other OA myself to this splash (even though I'm a huge fan of ASM #121-122). But, then again, I'd certainly prefer other art than that $65K X-Men #137 page, that $77K Kirby half-splash, that $155K Kirby FF #55 page, that $448K DKR splash or that $657K McSpidey cover too - and, yet, they all sold for what they did. I doubt any of those buys will prove to be good long-term purchases, but they all found buyers, and I bet at least some of those buyers knew from the outset that they probably wouldn't get their money out of these pieces (at least adjusted for inflation).

I personally don't think that the ASM #122 splash would be a great buy from a long-term resale perspective in the low $100Ks, but, given my read of the current market dynamics, I think there's a pretty decent shot at getting there if it were to be auctioned without reserve today (in the future, though, who knows). And, given where Stephen's offer was turned down, I think it's a good bet that the page already left the previous owner's collection at or close to $100K.

Completely agree. Just saying that, for me and I suspect several others, comic art at these price levels should speak to the outside world on first glance, and not just be seen as important within the hobby. Those pieces with both internal and external (to the hobby) appeal will ultimately continue to rise more than those pieces with just internal appeal. Granted this is a subjective determination, but I would say the DKR splash has both, as does the spidey 1 cover. On contrast, the 'face it tiger' page does not, for example, and in my assessment neither does this splash. People start caring about this distinction when a certain price threshold is passed. For me, that's at 6 figures, for others less, and still others (someday), perhaps higher.

It's a great splash, no doubt. But it only appeals to those inside the hobby (who love the storyline). At these prices, isn't that a limiting factor? Wouldn't an early Romita spidey cover or some other iconic image be a better buy for the money? I know we all buy what we like, but at six figures we all need to consider resale, no?

Hari, I think you're being very rational, but rationality escaped this market in 2012, if not before! At, say, $120-$130K, I'd certainly prefer other OA myself to this splash (even though I'm a huge fan of ASM #121-122). But, then again, I'd certainly prefer other art than that $65K X-Men #137 page, that $77K Kirby half-splash, that $155K Kirby FF #55 page, that $448K DKR splash or that $657K McSpidey cover too - and, yet, they all sold for what they did. I doubt any of those buys will prove to be good long-term purchases, but they all found buyers, and I bet at least some of those buyers knew from the outset that they probably wouldn't get their money out of these pieces (at least adjusted for inflation).

I personally don't think that the ASM #122 splash would be a great buy from a long-term resale perspective in the low $100Ks, but, given my read of the current market dynamics, I think there's a pretty decent shot at getting there if it were to be auctioned without reserve today (in the future, though, who knows). And, given where Stephen's offer was turned down, I think it's a good bet that the page already left the previous owner's collection at or close to $100K.

I am also in utter awe at the prices on OA these days. It seems C grade material cost $1k+, B grade is in the $5k to $20k range, A- is $20k+ and A material is $100k+. It is both amazing and sad. I have resigned myself to knowing I will never own the stuff I really want because prices have climbed so high.

I am also in utter awe at the prices on OA these days. It seems C grade material cost $1k+, B grade is in the $5k to $20k range, A- is $20k+ and A material is $100k+. It is both amazing and sad. I have resigned myself to knowing I will never own the stuff I really want because prices have climbed so high.

I'm one that doesn't hold any nostalgic value to this splash, and I would actually rather have a Ditko splash over this due to the historic significance of Ditko as the original artist and co-creator of Spidey. I would shell out 40-50K for the page, but no more as I can (maybe) get a romita splash from pre-100 issues for that amount. The earlier the better.

Still, I agree with the above comment. The prices have been INSANE the past year. Unless for some reason these prices cool down, I will only own one A+ page in my life. That's a bummer.

Here is a major question: Will the prices cool? As people who have nostalgic ties to these early issues, whether it be ASM, JIM, TOS or what-have-you, start to...get older...what then?

Here is a major question: Will the prices cool? As people who have nostalgic ties to these early issues, whether it be ASM, JIM, TOS or what-have-you, start to...get older...what then?

I don't see how most of it from any time period will maintain. I mean forget about even the top level stuff. How pricey is an average cover from a below a average artist from a Marvel or DC book from the past 30 years cost? It seems like a few grand on average. I just don't see fresh meat coming in and paying even that type for money for black and white art years down the line.

I don't see how most of it from any time period will maintain. I mean forget about even the top level stuff. How pricey is an average cover from a below a average artist from a Marvel or DC book from the past 30 years cost? It seems like a few grand on average. I just don't see fresh meat coming in and paying even that type for money for black and white art years down the line.

I know I just play in the kiddie pool, but I look at it as I'd rather spend several thousand on an interior from a really good artist than a mediocre cover from a B/C list artist in the same price range.

But that's just me.

I know I just play in the kiddie pool, but I look at it as I'd rather spend several thousand on an interior from a really good artist than a mediocre cover from a B/C list artist in the same price range.

But that's just me.

I just don't see a younger generation of future collectors being into black and white panel pages especially with a major chance of decreased lack of nostalgia. So many collectors have admitted nostalgia drives much of their collecting.

But that's just me.

I just don't see a younger generation of future collectors being into black and white panel pages especially with a major chance of decreased lack of nostalgia. So many collectors have admitted nostalgia drives much of their collecting.

What do you see them collecting if not black and white sequentials?

I think there are still pockets of value, and even bargains here and there, even in today's OA market. But, if you want the best examples of mainstream Marvel superhero art, forget it - demand exceeds supply and so prices have risen high enough to ration that limited supply, at the expense of 99.9% of OA collectors out there. Even the top 1% of OA spenders have largely been squeezed out by the top 0.1% of spenders when it comes to high-end Marvel art.

Still, I agree with the above comment. The prices have been INSANE the past year. Unless for some reason these prices cool down, I will only own one A+ page in my life. That's a bummer.

Yes, and given that you say you only own one A+ piece, I bet it would take quite a lot to pry it out of your collection. This is a very common phenomenon these days - who wants to sell the crown jewel(s) of their collection when they most likely will not be able to replace it with anything of comparable quality for less than insane money in this environment? And who wants to sell privately and risk losing out on hitting the jackpot like that good-but-not-great Ditko ASM page that sold for a hundred grand? All of which increases the resistance to selling for less than top, top dollar in this market. This dynamic won't last forever, but while it's in effect, you have to pay up or go home empty-handed.

I tend to believe that future generations will have both less nostalgia and less spending power than today's thirty to fifty-somethings which currently dominate the OA marketplace. As a result, I think a lot of OA will be cheaper, adjusted for inflation, 25 years from now. But, if you want to own and enjoy the art for the next quarter century instead of someone else, the prices are what they are. For now, anyway.

The cream is certainly very expensive but there is plenty of nice art available -

To me C material does not cost $1K plus..because I won't pay $1K plus for C material...but there is no standard grading system (although there may be some agreement on A material).

I feel you can acquire B+ / A- material for $2 - 12K

I bought quite a bit of art that I enjoyed adding to my collection, some stats:

Average price $950

Median price $410

Top 10% by number, cost me 50% of total spend - for me, these were "A-" pieces and keepers

Great art in this hobby doesn't usually translate to more value....there are a lot of great golden age pages that regularly sell at auction for around a thousand dollars or less. They may not have the most popular hero but are visually stunning and far more rare. There are a lot of different avenues to collecting. At the last HA auction I picked up two Ogden Whitney Herbie pages for under a thousand each, they easily stand up visually to my Kirby or Everett pages and are more experimental. I think as a collector it is important to look between the cracks and find the gems that are being looked over. I personally see collecting these types of things as being a caretaker as well, and preserving important and often overlooked things for the future.As Charles Bukowski once said, "if you want to know where it's really happening go the place with the shortest line."

In our society putting a higher value on something can also help to contribute to its preservation, no one really wants to throw away a thousand dollars!

I bought this asm 122 splash for 1500 dollars at the 1994 Philadelphia comicfest show, and that price was considered very high at the time....i also paid 800 dollars in the same deal for the battle page from asm 122 just before the goblin dies, as spiderman is kicking the outta the goblin, and his cycle starts back up in the last panel... I sold both pieces for very high prices in 1999 or 2000 ... i believe i sold the spalsh for around 20k and the battle page for around 8-10k. i dont know what this 122 splash sold for as it was just purchased recently......but this spalsh was offered back to me this past year for 150k and i passed on it.... i would doubt no other page 1 spalsh by gil kane from any book would come close to what this 122 is worth. its the amazing fantasy 15 of gil kane splash pages i feel... And to me its its better than most all small art asm covers but a handful....and a true classic! I probably should have kept it...but the dollar signs at the time were more important to me..lol