• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sooo...this is gorgeous. How much did it cost?

57 posts in this topic

Easily six-figures and possibly 200k. Remember this is the same market in which an above average Kirby X-men half-splash sold for 77k and a Ditko Spidey splash sold for 140k. I think most people would MUCH prefer to own this piece and it's certainly far more significant. And while we're at i'd prefer to own this piece over the ASM #121 cover all day long.

Just one man's opinion...

Ken

That's probably true. I wonder how much other killer stuff he has.

But let's say this hit the block. What do you think?

Hard to say, but I would guess $25k to $30k

Has any other Gil Kane interior page ever sold for that amount?

Based on some of the pricing I have gotten on Romita splashes and how much the super nice Buscema went for on CLINK, is what I based my estimate on. I can not imagine it hitting over 100k, but who knows, seems like prices can go absolutely crazy.

And while we're at i'd prefer to own this piece over the ASM #121 cover all day long.

No question this is a great splash. But I would choose the #121 cover. Historic. Instantly recognizable. Etc. That's if they cost the same. If the cover costs 4-5X the splash, I may choose differently.

That's probably true. I wonder how much other killer stuff he has.

But let's say this hit the block. What do you think?

I'd say 75K. Can't see it reasonably breaking 100K as there is lots of great stuff out there at that price tag. It would have to find the "right" buyer who absolutely loves this storyline from a nostalgia standpoint to break 100K, in my opinion. Not saying it won't happen, but personally at over 100K there's lots of stuff I'd much rather have.

I'd say 75K. Can't see it reasonably breaking 100K as there is lots of great stuff out there at that price tag. It would have to find the "right" buyer who absolutely loves this storyline from a nostalgia standpoint to break 100K, in my opinion. Not saying it won't happen, but personally at over 100K there's lots of stuff I'd much rather have.

I think $75K is not an unreasonable price for the splash, but I could see it topping $100K in the current market environment. That said, your point about "finding a buyer who absolutely loves this storyline from a nostalgia standpoint" is very true - I suspect there will be fewer and fewer such potential buyers for this page at ever-increasing prices going forward. It seems like '60s large art will always be coveted being that's what kicked off the Marvel Age of Comics, but, after that, nostalgia keeps rolling forward with late '80s/early '90s art being the hot sector of the moment. I think a lot of '70s art is becoming relatively underpriced vs. some of the "hot" art of the moment from the '60s and '80s and I think there is only so much someone is going to pay for a Gil Kane small art non-cover from that era, even if it is ASM #122. hm

I had offered the previous owner 75K for the splash and was turned down.

That makes sense - $75K is what many, including yourself and Hari, would consider to be a "reasonable" price for the page, but it probably took closer to $100K to pry it loose. And, as I speculated, it would probably fetch in the low $100Ks now if auctioned without reserve and with both Fish and the previous owner likely out of the bidding in that scenario.

That makes sense - $75K is what many, including yourself and Hari, would consider to be a "reasonable" price for the page, but it probably took closer to $100K to pry it loose. And, as I speculated, it would probably fetch in the low $100Ks now if auctioned without reserve and with both Fish and the previous owner likely out of the bidding in that scenario.

It's a great splash, no doubt. But it only appeals to those inside the hobby (who love the storyline). At these prices, isn't that a limiting factor? Wouldn't an early Romita spidey cover or some other iconic image be a better buy for the money? I know we all buy what we like, but at six figures we all need to consider resale, no?

It's a great splash, no doubt. But it only appeals to those inside the hobby (who love the storyline). At these prices, isn't that a limiting factor? Wouldn't an early Romita spidey cover or some other iconic image be a better buy for the money? I know we all buy what we like, but at six figures we all need to consider resale, no?

I consider it at 4 figures! :). I'm sure there are others that do at 3. I don't mind a bit of a loss once in a while because it usually balances out with something else making a gain....but it's definitely something I think about the more I spend.

Hari, I think you're being very rational, but rationality escaped this market in 2012, if not before! At, say, $120-$130K, I'd certainly prefer other OA myself to this splash (even though I'm a huge fan of ASM #121-122). But, then again, I'd certainly prefer other art than that $65K X-Men #137 page, that $77K Kirby half-splash, that $155K Kirby FF #55 page, that $448K DKR splash or that $657K McSpidey cover too - and, yet, they all sold for what they did. I doubt any of those buys will prove to be good long-term purchases, but they all found buyers, and I bet at least some of those buyers knew from the outset that they probably wouldn't get their money out of these pieces (at least adjusted for inflation).

I personally don't think that the ASM #122 splash would be a great buy from a long-term resale perspective in the low $100Ks, but, given my read of the current market dynamics, I think there's a pretty decent shot at getting there if it were to be auctioned without reserve today (in the future, though, who knows). And, given where Stephen's offer was turned down, I think it's a good bet that the page already left the previous owner's collection at or close to $100K.