• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Just goes to show that there are workarounds to communication even if we don't share a common language.

Perhaps the most fascinating thing I've learned so far on this trip is that the Rajabazaar community is further isolated because very few of them speak Bengali. Instead, they speak Hindi, the national language of India.

Foreign tourists have not been able to exchange currency owing to the critical shortage of newly printed replacement notes, and foreign cards have been blocked on ATMS with many visitors unable to pay even for food. Some have apparently been helped by local hoteliers and market stall vendors. I'm lucky to be staying with friends, but will come unstuck if the situation does not improve before we are due to travel to Darjeeling.

Only in India!

I was curious as to how this would play out after reading about the government's plans.

Will retailers accept any other currencies (for example UK pounds or $US)?

I know when the Yugoslav dinar became extremely devalued 20 years ago they were all too happy to accept $US, Euros, German Marks or UK pounds.

There are some stories of vendors accepting limited amounts of foreign currency to begin with but it was not sustainable. Indians are having to stand in line at ATM's literally all day just to get a few rupees, and there is no indication that matters will normalize soon.

I haven't needed to get any currency since the airport. Let's see what happens tomorrow when I go to Thomas Cook!

I managed to get about one third of what I needed on my first expedition to Thomas Cook. However when I went back today they had decided to limit currency exchanges to Rs 5000 - about $35.

We will eek out what I have and if necessary Purnabha will borrow from friends and I will reimburse him on my return.

A great deal has changed in the past few days - so much that it isn't possible to summarise right now. But in general terms I would say that being with Roshni has helped me to get to the heart of the matter, and devise a more radical solution.

I still have to discuss this properly, but I think their current premises are indequate. I think they need a two or three room base outside Rajabazaar, close enough to be accessible to children they teach, far enough away to operate as a safe house for abused women in need of respite.

That doesn't fully close the loop - we also need to understand how this might connect to employment opportunities and training, and right now we don't have a workable financial model, but I am confident we will get there before I leave, provided it's what Roshni wants.

IMG_4729_zpsudqxpknn.jpg

It's nearly impossible for me to comprehend what life would be like if everything changed financially for me overnight. In a life full of insurance for insurance' sake and a safety net for nearly every aspect of life it's completely alien to me.

But I'll bet for all the things they don't have they treasure each other.

It's nearly impossible for me to comprehend what life would be like if everything changed financially for me overnight. In a life full of insurance for insurance' sake and a safety net for nearly every aspect of life it's completely alien to me.

I was looking for the "like" button on this.

I was looking for the "like" button on this.

There is no "like" button on the Island of Serendip. Only hugs.

This tiny girl decided to adopt me on Childrens Day. At one point she whispered something in my ear but her voice was so soft I couldn't make it out. Lucina was sitting next to me and I asked her to translate. I had just finished off the last of a bottle of water, and the child wanted the cheap, empty plastic bottle for a toy.

They can fill your heart with a whisper.

IMG_3991_zpsqil133xb.jpg

I've so far taken nie on 2000 photos and will not try to construct a cohesive narrative until after my return. For now, anecdotally, you are getting the equivalent of 'Kilroy was here.'

We still have to pack in trips to the Sundarbans and Darjeeling, and an ever-growing list of matters with Roshni yet to resolve...

This tiny girl decided to adopt me on Childrens Day. At one point she whispered something in my ear but her voice was so soft I couldn't make it out. Lucina was sitting next to me and I asked her to translate. I had just finished off the last of a bottle of water, and the child wanted the cheap, empty plastic bottle for a toy.

They can fill your heart with a whisper.

IMG_3991_zpsoe4ctjpz.jpg

You need to show her how to do the water bottle flip thing. My kids have spent hours doing that.

This is Arshi. Her mother recently decided it was high time she got married. Shahina and Tahsina learned of this, and met with her mother to dissuade her. It wasn't easy. There are five children in he family and their tiny home is far too small for all of them. Roshni argues that the girls need an education in order to have the freedom to make their own choices.Tonight I toured the neighbourhood with them, visiting home after home in which this battle for hearts and minds is being fought.

Arshi has just turned fourteen - the same age at which her mother got married.

IMG_5403_zpsisab4sbe.jpg

Well, I'm back. After meeting with Roshni on a number of occasions we are overflowing with ideas. Give me a few days to screw my head back on and I'll give a more comprehensive account of the past three weeks.

As I thought of Nikhat and Arshi on the flight home I found I was leaking tears. Hopefully, we have found some answers to their complex situations in our final conversation. Was that really just last night?

IMG_6826_zpsjdafv3rg.jpg