• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

The crusaders captured the small village of Servian and then headed for Béziers, arriving on 21 July 1209. Under the command of the papal legate, Arnaud-Amaury, they started to besiege the city, calling on the Catholics within to come out, and demanding that the Cathars surrender. Both groups refused. The city fell the following day when an abortive sortie was pursued back through the open gates. When asked whether the Catholic townsfolk should be spared, Arnaud-Amaury is supposed to have said "Kill them all. God will know his own." The entire population was slaughtered and the city burned to the ground.

god-will-know-his-own-l_zpsc7c36ecc.jpg

By 7 August they had cut the city's water supply. Raymond-Roger, Comte de Toulouse, sought negotiations but was taken prisoner while under truce, and Carcasonne surrendered on 15 August. The people were not killed, but were forced to leave the town — naked according to Peter of les Vaux-de-Cernay, "In their shifts and breeches" according to another source.

cathars_zps0bcdc206.jpg

In June 1210 the well-fortified city of Minerve was besieged. It withstood a heavy bombardment, but in late June the main well was destroyed and on July 22, the city surrendered. The Cathars were given the opportunity to convert to Catholicism. Most did. The 140 who refused were burned at the stake.

Waldenser2_zpsd58f9e68.jpg

Resistance continued, and in 1234 The Inquisition was established to uproot the remaining Cathars. Operating in the south at Toulouse, Albi, Carcassonne and other towns during the whole of the 13th century, and a great part of the 14th, it succeeded in crushing Catharism as a popular movement and driving its remaining adherents underground.

Tribunal_de_la_Inquisicioacuten_zps333aa122.jpg

The crusaders systematically laid waste to the surrounding landscape of the Languedoc: uprooting vineyards, burning fields and farms, slaughtering livestock. It is estimated that an area the size of Wales was so utterly devastated that in a contemporary text it was written that “not a bird sang for a generation.”

LastoursCastles_FR-FR12818343040_1366x768_zpsaa9e590d.jpg

“When religion becomes artificial, art has a duty to rescue it. Art can show that the symbols which religions would have us believe literally true are actually figurative. Art can idealize those symbols, and so reveal the profound truths they contain.”

Richard Wagner

Holygrail_zpse7a5c711.jpg

"I can hardly describe my present state to you. When I came out of the Festspielhaus, completely spellbound, I understood that the greatest and most painful revelation had just been made to me, and that I would carry it unspoiled for the rest of my life."

Gustav Mahler

Gustavmalher_zpsca680582.jpg