• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Here I sit in my comfortable apartment, safe and dry on this tight little island laughingly called the United Kingdom, which never sees a hurricane or an earthquake, while apocalyptic floods hit friends simultaneously across the globe. I'm very grateful to know that my dear friends in Texas and Louisiana are safe, loved ones reunited with family, and the community rallying round to support one another. Let's pray that the worst is over, (though one heart wrenching interview with a young pregnant Houston woman broke my heart this morning), and we know that the dead remain to be counted...

We are all thinking of those in pain, suffering, many of whom have lost everything. We feel horrified, even as we watch the newsfeed.

In no way to diminish the scale of this tragedy, but rather to underline its significance, to attempt to set it in a global perspective, while I look to friends West of me in peril, I also look to those East, who have also endured unprecedented flooding. My heart goes out to both equally. 

In Bombay, they have had the worst floods in 10 years, while in Bangladesh, Nepal and India:

Heavy monsoon rains of historic proportions have slammed Nepal, Bangladesh, and India for weeks, leading to what international rescue and aid organizations say is the worst flooding in decades.

Nearly 1,200 people have been killed by the flooding and landslides in the three countries so far, while millions continue to be displaced from their homes. Torrential monsoon rains have destroyed tens of thousands of houses, schools, and hospitals, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The agency estimates that almost 41 million people have been affected in three countries.

Many of the flooded areas already have high rates of malnutrition. The disaster has raised concerns of food shortages and water-borne diseases, as thousands of hectares of farms have been washed away and relief work continues to be disrupted by continuous rain.

Governments can surround themselves  with as many advisors as they want who don't 'believe' in global warming. It is certainly not my place to speak for those in Houston or Dhaka who are in dire need right now, but however inconvenient the truth, surely now its time to face it?

Some went out on the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters.
They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep.
For he spoke and stirred up a tempest that lifted high the waves.
They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths; in their peril their courage melted away.
Psalm 107: 23–26

780.jpg