• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Scans do not do justice to Steve's art. It's a marvelous experience to see it in person. (worship)

Michael asked if I would post some of my work on this thread.

Please find five paintings posted, the Bride image was painted in the mid 90's, The child in the cemetery was my daughter and was painted in the mid to late 80's, the others are more recent...

I can imagine that scans don't bring out the handling. If you take an artist say, like Velasquez, or Monet, the depth of texture and brushstroke making are quite unlike the effect they render. Up close they are virtually abstract. I see a hint of that phenomenon in some of the scans of Steve's work but look forward one day to seeing them in reality. I imagine them to be far richer than scans can show and your eye witness account bears this out.

And you know, while Steven's talent is vast, so too has his work ethic been extraordinary, from a very early age. Huge, huge admiration for that.

Edited by alanna

tho' the scans are but a shadow, I could stand to see a few more of Sir Sartre's shadows... and Bonhooghly and its folk rock.

I'm hopeful Steven will post more as well - maybe some close up details.

As for the folk of Bonhooghly, I'm only scratching the surface - some far more compelling photos still to come.

40 years ago, my grandfather sponsored an Indian family to come to the US. All I have is pictures of him with them, never met them. He always wanted to go to India but never could. Your thread reminded me of him. For that, and the beautiful photos, I thank you. (thumbs u