• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

but this astonished me, to learn so late in life that my childhood playground had also been home to such a phenomenon in the century before I was born, still more that a great American artist had come there to paint some of his most interesting work! And I an artist!

7426272184_1216392207_b.jpg

This picture by John Charlton is one of my favorites. It shows the start of a dramatic lifeboat rescue on New Year's Day, 1861. The ship ‘Lovely Nellie’ had been wrecked off Whitley Bay. The storm prevented the lifeboat being launched at Cullercoats. It had to be towed by horses and villagers three miles along the coast. Charlton probably painted real-life Cullercoats fishwives for his picture. He has shown the lifeboat coming down the steep slope of Briar Dene [another of my local haunts]. Charlton regularly spent time at Cullercoats. He exhibited paintings in London and Newcastle.

John Charlton - The Women.jpg

Edward Corvan wrote and performed a popular music hall song about the Cullercoats Fish Lass in 1862:

Aw's a Cullercoats fish-lass, se cozy an' free

Browt up in a cottage close on by the sea;

An' aw sell fine fresh fish ti poor an' ti rich--

Will ye buy, will ye buy, will ye buy maw fresh fish?

newhaven-near-edinburgh-fish-wives-early-1900s-DBPA86.jpg

Jean F. Terry wrote, in 1913, "The Cullercoats fishwife, with her cheerful weather-bronzed face, her short jacket and ample skirts of blue flannel, and her heavily laden "creel" of fish is not only appreciated by the brotherhood of brush and pencil, but is one of the notable sights of the district".

DMR_NEC_100417women_07.jpg

William S. Garson, in his 1935 book, The Romance of Old Tynemouth and Cullercoats, wrote: "The Cullercoats fishwife plays a man's part in helping to launch the lifeboat, frequently wading waist-high into furious and ice-cold waters, and she never hesitates to allow her man to take a place on the boat, though he may go to face death and disaster."

2009_CSK_05879_0968_000().jpg

Winslow Homer lived in the fishing village from the spring of 1881 to November 1882, and soon became sensitive to the strenuous and courageous lives of its inhabitants, particularly the women, whom he depicted hauling and cleaning fish, mending nets, and, most poignantly, standing at the water's edge, awaiting the return of their men.

Here is a gallery of paintings by Homer and his British contemporaries in celebration of their lives, lost before I was ever born, but could well have been my ancestors...

b9a449711fc79ee52f655f6a16d8b1de.jpg