• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underlined Pop up Ads annoying

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone else see those blue underlined key words that turn out to be ads for just about anything. Is this something new CGC added or has my PC been hijacked (shrug)

I checked to see if when I chose quote that something would show up. Nothing different... :facepalm:

Does anyone else see those blue underlined key words that turn out to be ads for just about anything. Is this something new CGC added or has my PC been hijacked (shrug)

I checked to see if when I chose quote that something would show up. Nothing different... :facepalm:

It's your PC. It happened to me a week ago and I removed it.

It's your PC. It happened to me a week ago and I removed it.

+1

It could be a program that installed itself or it could be an add-on to your browser that installed itself. Some of the spyware checkers like Adaware, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware etc. will find and remove them. But often you need to run a few of them as no one spyware remover gets them all.

You can also check the adoins installed on your browser, usually under the Tools menu. Look for things you don't recognize and look them up on the net.

Also do the same with installed programs using Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Look for unfamiliar entries and search for those names.

If you find something lettuce know what you found. Some of the "free checkers" or "free cleaners" on the net are actually installers of other spyware programs so a little care must be taken.

Removed it how?

I simply did a System Restore to restore my OS to a date before the underlined Pop-up Ads started.

Here's how to do a System Restore.

I tried that in addition to running a bunch of malware programs but it never worked.

I finally had to reset my Firefox which was OK except that I lost all my add ons, which required that I had to adblock all the lame signatures again.

I am pretty well done with that. :whee:

A system restore won't remove any files. It might work on some but the spyware files are still on the system and can reactivate. Also you have to determine what program is doing this, as some of these programs will actually infect the System Restore files. It is best to actively determine what is infecting your system and take steps to remove it.