• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

I've noticed X-Factor 24 (1st Archangel) has had a nice spike since the Apocalypse movie announcement. 9.8s are going for $200 as compared to $160 before the announcement. There's not too many of them in the census.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about slabbing my copy or selling it raw. $200 may be sufficient motivation to include it. hm

You have to realize that everything that gets posted here, even if it appears to go overlooked, gets disseminated to every other comic related destination on the internet.

And the reverse also holds true, and lots of you are too insulated and somehow believe that when it appears on CGC, it's never been discussed anywhere else.

I have seen many cases of "hot books" being discussed elsewhere well before the news hits the CGC forums, then it may even reach comic news outlets, and people on here naively take credit for the sudden price spike.

We're not always first with the news, and I think people need to understand that.

The real question is, what is your motive for making sure everyone "knows their place"...? I don't think there's anyone who doesn't understand that the CGC boards aren't always first with the news. There is a gulf of difference between the following two statements:

"The CGC board is on the cutting edge of the market, and everything posted here is devoured voraciously, with instant and far-reaching implications, before it's ever discussed elsewhere" (which is what you're saying others are saying)

and...

"The CGC board has influence on the market (to whatever degree), especially in niche areas that have previously gone under the radar." (which is what I have always said.)

No one said the CGC board is the end-all, be-all to the market's pulse, but it clearly appears that when someone says something that might suggest ANY amount of influence, and out come the "pipe down, sonny, you're getting too big for your britches" comments.

Are people simply incapable of seeing degrees? Is it always all or nothing?

(I suspect, for many on these boards, it's always all or nothing.)

It is a fact that there are things discussed here that have never been discussed (at least in depth) elsewhere. It is a fact that there are things first discussed elsewhere that eventually make their way here. It is a fact that there are things discussed elsewhere that NEVER make their way here.

So, why the endless controversy, as if no one understands those things?

The need to talk about something....?

One possible lesson out of this is that sustained price increases require wider dissemination of awareness. In other words, if no one knows a book is a key or it's hot, it's hard to turn a value increase into a permanent thing. Scarce books (like Supergirl #1 3rd print) can be scarce, but if no one knows they're scarce, and there's no demand as a result, price isn't going anywhere. Talking about the scarcity is a necessary starting point to the whole process...

This is a very good point, and I'll expand: scarce books that no one knows are scarce never see the light of day, and therefore can't be bought by anyone.

I think my motive on the Hulk #377 thread was pretty clear: I was hoping to expose the market, and drive it down to the point where a copy would be available for $10 or so.

It was a calculated risk, and in this case, it was too good to be true: the resultant demand turned out to be much more than the supply, and prices have been very steady. That is, the market hasn't moved on. The supply did NOT turn out to be more than the demand, and the increased discussion increased demand. I was aware of all of this beforehand, and did it anyways. It didn't pay off....this time.

Now, this DOES happen all the time, especially when the market has "moved on" en masse, and books that sold for $100 today now sell again for $10 in 6 months. It happens all the time.

In this case, it turned out not to be true...BUT, with a nice side effect: there are now copies available for those who want the book and don't CARE about the price. There have been 16 copies in various grades for sale in the last two months alone on eBay. There is still a copy available now.

Whereas, before, the book either didn't show up for literally years (because no one cared), or it was hidden in the other JCPenney reprint lots (from which it came.)

It's much like the convention dealer who doesn't bring his (insert not-so-common, but still in demand, books here), because he doesn't think he can sell them, and that no one will be interested...and yet, there have been people, like myself, who have always been willing to buy such books, and at a better price than "dollar books"...if they don't know, the opportunity is missed.

After all...no one can buy what isn't offered for sale, regardless of the amount someone is willing to pay.

You have to realize that everything that gets posted here, even if it appears to go overlooked, gets disseminated to every other comic related destination on the internet.

And the reverse also holds true, and lots of you are too insulated and somehow believe that when it appears on CGC, it's never been discussed anywhere else.

I have seen many cases of "hot books" being discussed elsewhere well before the news hits the CGC forums, then it may even reach comic news outlets, and people on here naively take credit for the sudden price spike.

We're not always first with the news, and I think people need to understand that.

The real question is, what is your motive for making sure everyone "knows their place"...? I don't think there's anyone who doesn't understand that the CGC boards aren't always first with the news. There is a gulf of difference between the following two statements:

"The CGC board is on the cutting edge of the market, and everything posted here is devoured voraciously, with instant and far-reaching implications, before it's ever discussed elsewhere" (which is what you're saying others are saying)

and...

"The CGC board has influence on the market (to whatever degree), especially in niche areas that have previously gone under the radar." (which is what I have always said.)

No one said the CGC board is the end-all, be-all to the market's pulse, but it clearly appears that when someone says something that might suggest ANY amount of influence, and out come the "pipe down, sonny, you're getting too big for your britches" comments.

Are people simply incapable of seeing degrees? Is it always all or nothing?

(I suspect, for many on these boards, it's always all or nothing.)

It is a fact that there are things discussed here that have never been discussed (at least in depth) elsewhere. It is a fact that there are things first discussed elsewhere that eventually make their way here. It is a fact that there are things discussed elsewhere that NEVER make their way here.

So, why the endless controversy, as if no one understands those things?

The need to talk about something....?

People love to talk about the Hulk 377 3rd print, but one of the best jobs the group ever did was putting some knowledge out there that the Sonic newsprint book (if there was indeed ever such a thing) was indistinguishable from the ad version that came stapled in the Superman and JL books. I haven't really checked, but hopefully, people have stopped paying obscene prices for those. If not, shame on them. The information is out there.

By the way...is there anyone left who doesn't think this board wields tremendous influence on market trends?

Actually, THIS is what you said. Perhaps your shortest post ever.

By the way...is there anyone left who doesn't think this board wields tremendous influence on market trends?

An over-inflated sense of your importance in the world is the first sign of impending insanity.

hm

Is that really all I said.......?

hm

By the way...is there anyone left who doesn't think this board wields tremendous influence on market trends? After not having any copies for years...years!...there are now EIGHT copies of Supergirl #1 3rd print up for sale...

...half of those from MCS.

Granted, the market for such things is very, very small, and once I get my ONE high grade copy, and maybe 2-3 other guys, the rest will languish as they are overpriced, but still....EIGHT copies...plus the one I bought.

Amazing.

This is the post to which you refer.

By the way...is there anyone left who doesn't think this board wields tremendous influence on market trends? After not having any copies for years...years!...there are now EIGHT copies of Supergirl #1 3rd print up for sale...

...half of those from MCS.

Granted, the market for such things is very, very small, and once I get my ONE high grade copy, and maybe 2-3 other guys, the rest will languish as they are overpriced, but still....EIGHT copies...plus the one I bought.

Amazing.

In fairness, you did actually say a tad more . . .

An over-inflated sense of your importance in the world is the first sign of impending insanity.

I think an over-inflated sense of your importance in the world is really just standard operating procedure for the vast majority of humanity.

It takes power outside yourself to realize exactly where you stand in the order of things. No one reaches that place on their own.

....and you promised you were going to ignore me.... :luhv:

I think an over-inflated sense of your importance in the world is really just standard operating procedure for the vast majority of humanity.

Not really, for anyone over 40. It's called humility.

It takes power outside yourself to realize exactly where you stand in the order of things. No one reaches that place on their own.

All it really takes for this is to have a family.

Not really, for anyone over 40. It's called humility.

I disagree with you entirely. Hubris knows no age limits, or any other limits.

Nearly every religion on earth calls pride the ultimate problem of humanity, and rightfully so...age may teach one to mask it, but hardly resolve it.

All it really takes for this is to have a family.

I will politely agree to disagree.

Hubris knows no age limits, or any other limits.

Well, there certainly is no shortage of that around here. :grin: But, it is truly a sign of immaturity.

I agree, but not in the sense you mean. Age only teaches one to mask it, not resolve it.

There's even a phrase to describe that: false humility. It's just theatre. It is self-seeking and self-serving. In that respect, nearly everyone lacks that maturity.

Genuine humility, that is, seeking and doing good for others with no expectation of anything in return, or more, to one's personal detriment, is exceedingly rare, and impossible to achieve on one's own.

Those who think they possess genuine humility almost without fail do not. And those who appear to BE the most humble are usually the most prideful of all. The genuinely humble are almost always overlooked in this world.

Hubris knows no age limits, or any other limits.

Well, there certainly is no shortage of that around here. :grin: But, it is truly a sign of immaturity.

I agree, but not in the sense you mean. Age only teaches one to mask it, not resolve it.

There's even a phrase to describe that: false humility. It's just theatre. It is self-seeking and self-serving. In that respect, nearly everyone lacks that maturity.

Genuine humility, that is, seeking and doing good for others with no expectation of anything in return, or more, to one's personal detriment, is exceedingly rare, and impossible to achieve on one's own.

Those who think they possess genuine humility almost without fail do not. And those who appear to BE the most humble are usually the most prideful of all. The genuinely humble are almost always overlooked in this world.

Nice

Not really, and it's actually a symptom of the psychotic and maladjusted. One outcome is megalomania, but there are many others, depending on how out of the touch the person is with their own abilities vs. their perceived ego.

Self-awareness is the true judge of a person's character and intelligence.