• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Not exploding yet, but it will. OK, maybe not "explode" but will go up enough to make a good profit: Saga Of The Swamp Thing #25, 1st Constantine cameo app

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Copper-Age-19841991-/165364/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R40&_nkw=swamp+thing+25+constantine&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I though this proved to be a different character?

DC wikia lists it as him, so I guess for now it is:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Constantine_%28New_Earth%29

Well actually, I can't think of any retailer that charges more something in demand. Case in point my buddy in Toronto last year was shopping for Ipads, and there was an advertised price at a chain but limited their maximum number to 1. He had to go through hell-and-high water (with proof of going to multiple different stores) to get a second copy, as it was a twin-xmas gift. It wouldn't be in the store's best interest to open up demand for multiple copies, and can you think how it would fly with the consumer if people arrived to find the price jacked up an extra 10% because of increased demand?

In terms of a dealer selling comics, out of pure-randomness two guys happen to want one obscure comic at the same place and time, is it fair to charge a premium when under the vast majority of circumstances only one buyer would be interested? Would that same dealer sell the book lower if no one wants it for an extended period of time - probably not.

Of course they do.

Why do you think Apple sells 10 bazillion iphones? Because they keep charging the same price, and they have contracts to make sure their retailers charge the same price, as well. Best Buy cannot jack up the price on iphones, or they don't get to sell them.

Only in collectibles do sellers shoot themselves in the foot by trying to squeeze every dime out of anything someone might possibly be interested in. If one person asks for Strawberry Shortcake #6, that only means that that one person wants it.

By the way....I had a dealer who thinks like you. I bought some nice 3-Pack Only Whitmans for $8 each (the two I slabbed ended up 9.8 after I pressed them.) He said he had more, so I told him I'd be interested. This was at the local con. I kept asking him, and by the time he finally found the rest, it turned out he only had 2-3, they were VF copies, and they were $30-$40.

Pass. Just lost a sale, and he'll likely never sell them at any price now.

You're both comparing the intial market offering to the secondary market, which is a whole different ball game. By this logic Walking Dead #1 should be sold at cover price. As Lazyboy pointed out, there is nothing "limited" about an electronic that can be duplicated over and over as the same. With collectibles the initial offering is made once offered to the public and that's it. To be fair, Spreads did state that this model only applies to collectibles. But....how do you think all of those Tickle me Elmo's and Playstation's end up on Craigslist for inflated prices every Christmas? Secondary Market, the initial market supply did not meet the demand.

With the comparison to an Apple product, can you image if they only made 1,000,000 iphones? That's it, done. They would be well over $1k each on the secondary market.

This only applies to collectibles thought, right? Well, not exactly. Think about when a professional service is offered, say an attorney. When they start out, learning the profession, they charge a nominal fee. In 20 years once they have the experience are they still charging the same fee? I really hope not.

That concludes Microeconomics 101 for the day. Test next Thursday.

hm

I don't think any of your logic works.

:whee:

I agree, the analogy is not perfect....but it doesn't need to be. The point was simply demand, or, rather, perceived demand. There's plenty of documented demand for Walking Dead #1. The problem comes when someone asks about something, and in the mind of the seller, that's "demand."

It IS demand...of a sort....but not the sort of demand that drives up prices. That sort always requires at least two interested parties (excluding the seller.)

By the way...they DO make demand-based offerings after the initial offering: we call them reprints.

Oh, and a brand new comic book is not a "collectible"...it's a brand new comic book. I know that may throw some folks, but it's still true.

Not exploding yet, but it will. OK, maybe not "explode" but will go up enough to make a good profit: Saga Of The Swamp Thing #25, 1st Constantine cameo app

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Copper-Age-19841991-/165364/i.html?_sop=1&_from=R40&_nkw=swamp+thing+25+constantine&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I though this proved to be a different character?

DC wikia lists it as him, so I guess for now it is:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Constantine_%28New_Earth%29

All that really matters is what the market thinks, but Bissette has stated on several occasions that the guy in 25 was Sting. He and Totleben had been bugging Moore to have a Sting-like character for a while. It took them a while to get him to relent and we got JC in 37.

The funny thing is, it is just so much simpler to look at 25 as some kind of cameo. lol

Yeah, they want them because they are suckers!

But the main point is that they are continuously manufactured.

The point was that it's bad for business to raise the price of a comic based on one inquiry being seen as an increase in demand. That is bad business.

My question is how doe we know that the dealer has only had one person ask for the books? I find it rare that only one person asks for a specific book when I am selling at shows. If they do, it is usually for an obscure/low demand independent book. If I have it with me by some chance, I sell it. If not, then when I check at home to dig it out I will inevitably look at the pricing on eBay and GPA just to make sure I am not missing something. Sometimes I have to price it up, and the buyers tend to pay the asking price regardless at the next show.

Also, in RMA's Whitman 3-pack case, the more someone requests a book the more likely I am to double check the pricing on it.

You are correct, no one knows how much the dealer has been asked unless he/she chooses to reveal that information.

But that's where talking to the retailer helps you out....I do a LOT of jabbering with dealers about stuff, and in the process, they reveal all sorts of information that they probably wouldn't have if I'd just directly asked them.

In the 3-Pack example, I talked to the guy about them, found out that he had more, and also found out, because he told me, that they were "buried somewhere in a box at home."

And there, right there, is your clue: if there had been other demand for them, they wouldn't be buried in a box back home...they'd be on his display rack.

These kinds of clues are vital to successful negotiation.

I also like to walk around the con with a short box or so of purchases, and make a bit of a show about having it. One dealer even complained "you should be buying all of that from me"....and I told him, "oh, man, I'd love to, but these were really good deals that I couldn't pass up!" This is true (or I wouldn't have bought them), but it's also a subtle reminder to the seller that his prices aren't worth my time.

Doesn't work for everybody, but it does work.

That guy in your sig box gif is 12 feet tall!

hm

I agree, the analogy is not perfect....but it doesn't need to be. The point was simply demand, or, rather, perceived demand. There's plenty of documented demand for Walking Dead #1. The problem comes when someone asks about something, and in the mind of the seller, that's "demand."

It IS demand...of a sort....but not the sort of demand that drives up prices. That sort always requires at least two interested parties (excluding the seller.)

By the way...they DO make demand-based offerings after the initial offering: we call them reprints.

Oh, and a brand new comic book is not a "collectible"...it's a brand new comic book. I know that may throw some folks, but it's still true.

I don't see what's "logic", but if you say so.

Yes, the make a second print because of demand and it is typically not as sought after as a 1st until many years later, as we have seen lately. What's the second print of a ipad? This discussion has elevated to this level because of the comparison of a comic book to an ipad.

So, with the Lobo movie being axed I guess it's back into the junk bins again for those Omega Men books

Link?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/28/could-shazam-movie-be-dwayne-the-rock-johnsons-secret-dc-project/

Nothing confirms that it was axed there, just speculation.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/03/25/the-rock-pretty-much-admits-hes-going-to-play-lobo/

Edited by ygogolak

http://badassdigest.com/2014/03/25/the-rock-pretty-much-admits-hes-going-to-play-lobo/

I like how the writer of the article decides it is Lobo and can only be Lobo :

That's Lobo. There's simply no other DC character who fulfills those requirements.

Ahem... here are the three qualities:

Here are three qualities. The first quality we were looking for was that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on. What that does for me as an actor and the studio is it gives us space that we can explore; his complexities. The other quality was that he had to -- the character we were looking for had to be well-known but never brought to life. Then what that does again as an actor, it gives me a little bit of space, and we talked about personality. It just gives me a chance to put an imprint into his personality, with the set of tools that I could bring to the table and put a very unique twist on his personality, but still pay homage to who he is. The third thing -- and most important -- is he had to be a bad- mother-, okay, and on a Superman level of power, where could throw down.

To me, that says...

Darkseid.

Lobo has personality already, if D"TR"J wants to inject personality with his own "imprint," I see that Darkseid has more room for imprinting.

I know, I know... it probably will be Lobo... but I hope, for me and me alone, that it's...

Darkseid.

-slym

So, with the Lobo movie being axed I guess it's back into the junk bins again for those Omega Men books

Link?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/28/could-shazam-movie-be-dwayne-the-rock-johnsons-secret-dc-project/

Nothing confirms that it was axed there, just speculation.

"The Rock mentioned being up for Lobo, but that project had been shelved."

Whatever you wanna call it, it's not happening

I like how the writer of the article decides it is Lobo and can only be Lobo :

That's Lobo. There's simply no other DC character who fulfills those requirements.

Ahem... here are the three qualities:

Here are three qualities. The first quality we were looking for was that he had to be extremely complex and have a lot going on. What that does for me as an actor and the studio is it gives us space that we can explore; his complexities. The other quality was that he had to -- the character we were looking for had to be well-known but never brought to life. Then what that does again as an actor, it gives me a little bit of space, and we talked about personality. It just gives me a chance to put an imprint into his personality, with the set of tools that I could bring to the table and put a very unique twist on his personality, but still pay homage to who he is. The third thing -- and most important -- is he had to be a bad- mother-, okay, and on a Superman level of power, where could throw down.

To me, that says...

Darkseid.

Lobo has personality already, if D"TR"J wants to inject personality with his own "imprint," I see that Darkseid has more room for imprinting.

I know, I know... it probably will be Lobo... but I hope, for me and me alone, that it's...

Darkseid.

-slym

I'm not sure darkseid is as complex as lobo. Lobo is driven by violence, money, motorcycles, girls, drinking, kicking , fun, and is powerful but not OVER powered, which makes him generally more relatable and possibly more marketable to a movie audience. Darkseid is driven by power and destruction, is overpowered generally, which might make him more intriguing for a cosmic Game of Thrones movie revolving around New Gods, but less so IMO for a stand alone movie. But more importantly, people might see him as a thanos copy.

"That guy"??? Wow :whatev:<a  href=tumblr_mp3kwrscJk1qh6suyo1_400.gif' alt=

Edited by Lonzilla

hm

I don't see what's "logic", but if you say so.

Yes, the make a second print because of demand and it is typically not as sought after as a 1st until many years later, as we have seen lately. What's the second print of a ipad? This discussion has elevated to this level because of the comparison of a comic book to an ipad.

The comparison is not between a comic book and an ipad. The comparison is "types of demand." Apple doesn't raise their prices because there's interest. Like I said earlier, the analogy doesn't quite fit, but it's close enough for gov't work.

And you just fell victim to the same argument you decried earlier: "they make a second print because of demand"...that demand isn't for the book as a collectible, it's as a new comic book. Whether there is demand years later for it as a collectible is not the same type of demand, which I conceded was what made the analogy not quite fit.

I'm not sure darkseid is as complex as lobo. Lobo is driven by violence, money, motorcycles, girls, drinking, kicking , fun

Lobo is complex? Sounds like me on any given weekend

"That guy"??? Wow :whatev:tumblr_mp3kwrscJk1qh6suyo1_400.gif

Yes, that guy. The perspective is off when he "stomps" the guy on the head, and it makes him look 12 feet tall.

Special FX.

:cloud9: