• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2024 at 6:53 PM, MAR1979 said:

Thanks for explaining. 

I do not agree that watchers is = buyers. I'm sure there are many like me who do it out of curiosity as we already own the item. No longer will I click on "Add To Watchlist" and have deleted my current watched comics due to what you have mentioned.

Some books, I watch to buy. Other books, I watch to… erm, watch.

In so many ways, the behaviour of people on the CGC boards is not reflective of the hobby as a whole. We are the voyeurs of the hobby, in that we like to watch. I am confident that our little fetish is not widespread.

When I sell books on eBay, they sometimes sell when there are no watchers or views. But when I have books with many watchers and many views, they are far more likely to sell. The correlation between watchers and sales is strong in my experience, and @whetteon’s data speaks to this correlation.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 9:46 PM, Brock said:

Some books, I watch to buy. Other books, I watch to… erm, watch.

In so many ways, the behaviour of people on the CGC boards is not reflective of the hobby as a whole. We are the voyeurs of the hobby, in that we like to watch. I am confident that our little fetish is not widespread.

When I sell books on eBay, they sometimes sell when there are no watchers or views. But when I have books with many watchers and many views, they are far more likely to sell. The correlation between watchers and sales is strong in my experience, and @whetteon’s data speaks to this correlation.

When I plan to bid on a regular auction I never watch it. I set my snipe and keep track of it on the snipe service dashboard. Manual bidding and watching is so 2002, was not aware so many folks still do that...

Has the market and this thread paradigm shifted to what is most watched rather than what is selling well?

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/26/2024 at 10:14 PM, MAR1979 said:

When I plan to bid on a regular auction I never watch it. I set my snipe and keep track of it on the snipe service dashboard. Manual bidding and watching is so 2002, was not aware so many folks still do that...

Where's the thrill in that...:baiting:

On 5/26/2024 at 10:14 PM, MAR1979 said:

Has the market and this thread paradigm shifted to what is most watched rather than what is selling well?

He has always posted the watch count since it is the information he can gather from E-Bay and I find it at least interesting to see what is being watched by the masses.  Very few books are what most would call hot (ie you post it up and it sells in a few days or even a few hours at an inflated price compared to the last sales).  I think we have to go back to saying a book is "hot" if it sells a few copies in a given month because using methods that worked for quite awhile is obsolete.

On 5/26/2024 at 6:23 AM, whetteon said:

SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #40 comic from 1992...CLASSIC Byrne cover.....ONLY $204.95! | eBay

Sensation She-Hulk #40, a raw copy, now only finding 47 watchers and fetching $202. Oh Gawd, such suckage. :eyeroll:

This particular book was highlighted recently in an online article about .....errr... strong female characters drawn and written by men for a predominately male audience. The jumping rope in the nude pages from this issue was central to the article.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:11 PM, littledoom said:

Not really, I’ve never found them in the wild or for cheap

If you had been buying boxes of 50 cent stock from shop owners and convention dealers in bulk 20+ years ago, you would have had found a decent amount of them.

That's how I got my high grade copies of Stevens books; buying 10 or so long boxes per month mostly from convention dealers.

But yeah, you won't typically find these books in bulk boxes anymore.

On 5/24/2024 at 12:37 PM, ygogolak said:

Ended at $405. 12 month is down. Was selling in the $600 range. Still an impressive book and sales prices.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:14 AM, whetteon said:

Everything is cooling from 3 years ago

I said 12 months, not 36. I also said it was still impressive.
The average for 2024 sales is $385. So it's heating up from that. Is that better?

On 5/29/2024 at 5:30 PM, valiantman said:

Just adding a little bit to the "watching" conversation...

I usually have 300 to 500 items on my watchlist on eBay.

The reasons that I watch are:

1) Price is too low at the time I click "watch", but I will unwatch when it gets to the normal price range

2) Price seems too high but I am interested to see if it sells because I might sell mine if so

3) I'm looking for "one of these" (watching four to six of the same item, to see if one might end low that I can grab)

4) Price seems too high but I am interested to see if I get a discount offer by email

5) I already own several of these and I want to see the finish price

Of the 300 to 500 items that I keep in my watchlist, my eBay account shows that I made 4 purchases last month. 3 out of those 4 were "Best Offer" or "Discount Offer" versus the starting price. The other was under $10 buy-it-now.

+1 on all of this.

Also, things I want but not right now and don't want to forget about. I ended up getting a christmas gift for my wife last year that way.  Some are a few watches I want, but don't feel like buying or at the moment. 

I just pulled the trigger on a book I'd been watching for a few months this morning that I was finally ready to buy. 

On 5/28/2024 at 8:40 AM, 1Cool said:

He has always posted the watch count since it is the information he can gather from E-Bay and I find it at least interesting to see what is being watched by the masses.  Very few books are what most would call hot (ie you post it up and it sells in a few days or even a few hours at an inflated price compared to the last sales).  I think we have to go back to saying a book is "hot" if it sells a few copies in a given month because using methods that worked for quite awhile is obsolete.

How would one find this information about how many comics of a particular type sold each month on eBay that doesn't require me to spend $1K+ to access their database or whatever that service is called?

All of the reasons mentioned above about why you "watch" an auction still imply 1) you have an interest in the comic (do people watch comics they don't care about?) 2) you have plans to purchase said copy if the price is right or 3) look at points 1 and 2.  I nor anyone but God himself can determine intent on a watched comic auction on eBay. But nowhere above did I read that you watched the auction because you weren't interested, which is the point of the list and the website I run.

I also have a most active list of how many bids a comic has received. This is less accurate because it could be two bidders in a bidding war. Finally, there is a most expensive watch list but this tends to be comics that have already shown significant interest and are no longer "heating" up. I recently added a flaming icon when a comic auction displays in two or more lists. This, at least to me, means there is a lot of interest in the said auction and could be interrupted as "hot", "heating up" or even "trending". 

I look forward to everyone's feedback on how to improve the website.

Wizard #1 SDCC (1991) Todd McFarlane Spider-Man (File Copy) CGC 9.8 | eBay  I don't know why so many of these are suddenly on eBay or why they continue to be listed one after the other but there is lots of interest. I know because I keep seeing a copy show up every week and it's always on my list but the price goes too high. 

Wizard #1 SDCC for sale | eBay - sold listings.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:30 PM, valiantman said:

1) Price is too low at the time I click "watch", but I will unwatch when it gets to the normal price range

2) Price seems too high but I am interested to see if it sells because I might sell mine if so

3) I'm looking for "one of these" (watching four to six of the same item, to see if one might end low that I can grab)

4) Price seems too high but I am interested to see if I get a discount offer by email

Of the 300 to 500 items that I keep in my watchlist, my eBay account shows that I made 4 purchases last month. 3 out of those 4 were "Best Offer" or "Discount Offer" versus the starting price. The other was under $10 buy-it-now.

These are exactly the same reasons I watch and why my watchlist is so huge.

On 5/29/2024 at 5:30 PM, valiantman said:

6) Accidental Clicks

On 5/31/2024 at 12:03 PM, whetteon said:

Wizard #1 SDCC (1991) Todd McFarlane Spider-Man (File Copy) CGC 9.8 | eBay  I don't know why so many of these are suddenly on eBay or why they continue to be listed one after the other but there is lots of interest. I know because I keep seeing a copy show up every week and it's always on my list but the price goes too high. 

Wizard #1 SDCC for sale | eBay - sold listings.

I had previously only seen the regular "Survey/Subscription Insert" one and the newsstand.  But I see that Probstein been dumping a bunch of these "San Diego Comic Con/Wizard File" copies lately.  Any idea if there is a difference beyond the ComicCon stamp on the front?  

On 5/31/2024 at 1:03 PM, whetteon said:

I also have a most active list of how many bids a comic has received. This is less accurate because it could be two bidders in a bidding war.

This could also be one person who was outbid just clicking an option that ebay suggests for your next bid. If I placed a dollar bid on a book, and then someone goes ahead and bids $100, eBay will tell me I was outbid, and will have a field that says something like  Bid $3 – Bid $4 – Bid $5. I can just keep clicking on the lowest option dozens of times, as the bid goes up by a dollar each time. So it could reach $25 with over 20 bids, or I could just type in "$25" and the item will have 3 bids. 

On 6/4/2024 at 4:10 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This could also be one person who was outbid just clicking an option that ebay suggests for your next bid. If I placed a dollar bid on a book, and then someone goes ahead and bids $100, eBay will tell me I was outbid, and will have a field that says something like  Bid $3 – Bid $4 – Bid $5. I can just keep clicking on the lowest option dozens of times, as the bid goes up by a dollar each time. So it could reach $25 with over 20 bids, or I could just type in "$25" and the item will have 3 bids. 

Very true. This is why I'm less excited my this stat.