• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,854 posts in this topic

BTW in my opinion, that Omegamen #3 is still considered cheap compared to what it sold in the 90s.. Lobo was DCs new messiah back then, and Bisley was a god. I am still a fan and hoard on as many Omegaman #3 under 10$ anywhere I can find them (theyre out there)

my recollection is that it was briefly a $10 book in the 90s when lobo got hot, but i could be wrong.

I am a married man! I should probably be out there trying to find a guy for her. She is very nice, very smart (various ivy league degrees) and makes a good living, but I hear from mutual friend/co-workers she just has a tough time in the dating world. She's not unattractive, but probably not attractive enough to get a lot of solicitations from guys she has any interest in, probably just random losers on the street or subway. I should probably just mind my own business and not be such a yenta.

Anyway, this was a healthy return on Omega Men 3. Don't think I remember a raw going this high:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Omega-Men-3-1st-appearance-of-Lobo-Extremely-High-Grade-issue-9-6-/351305066215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cb69e6e7

2485.jpg

Well, if she has copper-colored hair and she's looking to get some, then it's appropriate, I suppose.

You know, my post did contain an ebay sale of note on a CA book. that's the highest i can remember a raw copy going for.

as for the other stuff...well, maybe if Bishop is played by a hot enough guy in the movie there will be millions of african american comic nerdettes like my friend coming out of the woodwork and buying his first app? not likely though if comic dork co-workers like myself just give them a spare copy, however..

328cb56efb24e2993abf42b6ded41098f77d4003b2d465bcc9eea3f50c6cce5d.jpg

You uber-newbs need to take a course in quote nests.

What a mess.

;)

What a mess.

;)

The mess that is this thread has been created by uber old fogies talking about everything except Coppers Heating/Selling Well on Ebay.

Edit: , I also need to take a course in quote nests. doh!

:jokealert:

Edited by 21Pittsburgh58

I am a married man! I should probably be out there trying to find a guy for her. She is very nice, very smart (various ivy league degrees) and makes a good living, but I hear from mutual friend/co-workers she just has a tough time in the dating world. She's not unattractive, but probably not attractive enough to get a lot of solicitations from guys she has any interest in, probably just random losers on the street or subway. I should probably just mind my own business and not be such a yenta.

Anyway, this was a healthy return on Omega Men 3. Don't think I remember a raw going this high:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Omega-Men-3-1st-appearance-of-Lobo-Extremely-High-Grade-issue-9-6-/351305066215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cb69e6e7

2485.jpg

Well, if she has copper-colored hair and she's looking to get some, then it's appropriate, I suppose.

You know, my post did contain an ebay sale of note on a CA book. that's the highest i can remember a raw copy going for.

as for the other stuff...well, maybe if Bishop is played by a hot enough guy in the movie there will be millions of african american comic nerdettes like my friend coming out of the woodwork and buying his first app? not likely though if comic dork co-workers like myself just give them a spare copy, however..

328cb56efb24e2993abf42b6ded41098f77d4003b2d465bcc9eea3f50c6cce5d.jpg

What a mess.

;)

imitation is a form of flattery ;)

That's buyer beware. If someone comes into my shop and seems uninformed, I going to INFORM them. Not take advantage of their ignorance by selling them a lemon.

Nobody said to sell them a lemon. That's the extreme opposite of recommending they know the hobby they are now playing in. But if that is how you see it, so be it.

Not the same thing as a con. These are the people who actually CREATE the comics, for goodness sake. They are selling something with a premium of interest - their signature and their time.

Ahhh. But let's go down the path that you have taken. So someone in the know realizes how easy it is to get these signatures. Find the right show, bring the right amount of cash, and walk away with loads of books that then you tell people they can purchase the 'HARD TO FIND - RARE - STAN LEE' signature.

How can we have these people taken advantage of so easily? There should be signs hanging up 'STAN LEE WILL SIGN YOUR BANANA PEEL FOR A BUCK'.

Not the same as trying to sell a PREVIEWS as a first appearance.

Sure it is. Sellers do it now all over Ebay. Especially when they can get Stan Lee to sign a DC comic or something else that has nothing to do with him, and now state it is a one-of-a-kind item. All because Stan said 'Where do you need that signature?'

I've honestly never met anyone who said, "Hey Jim Lee sold me this book with his autograph for $40, I'm OUT."

How about all those 90's collectors and speculators that ordered directly from Image the rare, limited distribution, personally signed Jim Lee WILD C.A.T.S. #1's? Of course later on they said they were out - they tried to sell either to feed their collecting habit, or to turn a profit, and found out there were loads of this material going around. Not one word had to be uttered, because their financial disappearance made all the statement necessary.

Though with the cardies that were buying up loads of books leading to inflated distribution numbers, better they did leave. It was a falsely inflated market.

Heard from plenty of people who thought Death of Superman would pay their kids way through college.

And Bloodshot 1, and Turok 1, and X-Force 1, and X-Men 1, and ....

Very odd times indeed.

Buyer Beware.

What you're saying is, people should know: DON'T walk into a comic book shop or go to a comic book show, WITHOUT being completely educated as far as what to buy and especially NOT buy, because you could get ripped off very easily. Too bad, you lose.

If that is the way you read it. Meanwhile, we have threads here about every 1st appearance worth talking about, every investment worth making immediately, repeated posts about latest sales, and loads of historic details as well to tell the good and the not so good about our hobby.

Are you saying these new collectors and readers shouldn't do research as well as being treated fairly? That's not very safe advice. How could you set people up like that for potential failure?

Better to suggest not only they engage with sellers they can trust in not hyping them on the latest fad, but also point them to all the resources that are out there to educate them. Or do you think that research may not help in getting more immersed in our hobby?

Not a very welcome message to new comers.

Do you mean 'avoid reading about our hobby'? I totally agree. Not only should they engage with sellers that they can trust in presenting a fair statement about their comics, but also get to know that hobby as a parallel effort.

I'm surprised you don't see the value in research.

Sorry, I'm not going to blame the potential customers for deciding NOT to come in because of a message like that, I'm going to blame the creeps who are making the market that way.

The answer to this statement is 'it depends'. If they take the time to engage in the hobby, ask questions, listen, read and yes - also buy from sellers that treat them fairly - it's a safe bet they won't get burned.

I would never encourage someone to jump into any collectible hobby and not point them towards the right resources to also protect themselves through knowledge. That is just a dangerous approach otherwise to assume reputable sellers will be at every street corner to shy them away. Knowledge is power in this case!

Worst marketing campaign I've ever heard of.

You went sub-quote crazy, there. Better check that user manual.

:baiting:

I have no idea what you're trying to defend, other than a customer should be educated when he walks in the door of a comic shop.

And I call bull.

Hey, all of you 45-55 year olds out there who collected oh so many years ago, making' good money in your later years, ... haven''t kept up, too busy to read all the nonsense on this board as well as any others, COME ON IN TO MY SHOP..... I"LL educate you, give you some great advice. A) a PREVIEWS is not a first appearance.

Soccer moms.... looking for something for your kids but you're afraid to walk into the comic shop.... COME ON IN TO MY SHOP.... I will treat you fairly and educate you on what is good or bad for your kid and what's appropriate based upon your personal standards.

Anybody interested in comics that doesn't want to go through the hassle of reading the nonsense on this board or any others, NO EDUCATION NECESSARY - COME ON IN TO MY SHOP!

See? That's how you try and grow a business.

Educate me sir. Do you have any data on the print runs or Diamond Previews? :baiting:

I have a small store in Indiana. I give out Previews (and Marvel Previews) for free to subscription customers - I order 50 a month. A friend of mine has a bigger shop in Missouri (but still nowhere near a large Diamond retailer) and he does the same, except he orders 200 a month.

There are 3000 Comic shops roughly...it wouldn't surprise me if it's print run is over 100,000.

That's in TODAY's market.

In the early Spawn days (1993) there were over 10,000 Diamond accounts...

I ask store owners up and down the east coast. Most stores order no more that 1 or 2 but that's just me asking and like your info is just a guess. I appreciate the info you have provided though. I would love to get accurate numbers on this.

Talked to Dan Manser, the Director of Marketing with Diamond Distribution and he says that currently PREVIEWS is at about 50,000 copies a month, down over the last few years primarily because of access to the digital information. In the 90's the book had a regular print run of 90,000+ copies a month and a few times hit 100,000 copies.

A one page B&W preview amounts to a 1st app to this guy? :facepalm:

wouldn't there have been something like previews back then? what would comic shop owners be basing their ordering on 2 or 3 months before this -- just the title of the book and mcfarlane being on it (probably enough back then)? presumably spawn appeared in some sort of solicitation in print form before then.

calling these things a cameo or whatever is nuts. if you want to collect first advertising apps, that's fine, but call it what it is. and i love the other listing "significantly devalues malibu sun 13"

This Spawn Cover came out 1 month before Rust 1

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg

Here's my Spawn list:

Previews issue: first appearance and cover ( March 1992 )

Rust 1a,1b: Second appearance depending on what other Adventure comics are discovered ( April 1992 )

Malibu Sun 13: Third appearance, Second Cover, first appearance in a comic book publication ( May 1992 )

Spawn 1: Third cover, first appearance in a narrative.

Then there's Crusade Comics Spawn 1 which has a released date of 1992 for a convention that happened in August? I am not sure what the actual publication date is but it could predate all of the above. Either way it is definitely the first appearance of Sam & Twitch.

wouldn't there have been something like previews back then? what would comic shop owners be basing their ordering on 2 or 3 months before this -- just the title of the book and mcfarlane being on it (probably enough back then)? presumably spawn appeared in some sort of solicitation in print form before then.

calling these things a cameo or whatever is nuts. if you want to collect first advertising apps, that's fine, but call it what it is. and i love the other listing "significantly devalues malibu sun 13"

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg

Here's my Spawn list:

Rust 1a,1b: Second appearance depending on what other Adventure comics are discovered ( April 1992 )

Malibu Sun 13: Third appearance, Second Cover, first appearance in a comic book publication ( May 1992 )

Then there's Crusade Comics Spawn 1 which has a released date of 1992 for a convention that happened in August? I am not sure what the actual publication date is but it could predate all of the above. Either way it is definitely the first appearance of Sam & Twitch.

Not sure if you saw my comment earlier, but according to Diamond, those Previews during the 90's had a regular print run of 90,000 copies.

Here's my Spawn list:

Not sure if you saw my comment earlier, but according to Diamond, those Previews during the 90's had a regular print run of 90,000 copies.

and? how many of them are still around even? Most shops let customers use them and then thrown them out as they are beat.

Edited by ygogolak

Here's my Spawn list:

and? how many of them are still around even? Most shops let customers use them and then thrown them out as they are beat.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't image many are out there or even gathering dust in warehouses. Other than MCS most online retailers don't even have a category for them.

Thanks for getting some numbers on print runs though, it is useful info.

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg

Here's my Spawn list:

So if we just care about an image outside the story why is anyone even talking about rust 1 or even malibu sun 1? there he is in previews, first non-comic/advertising appearance. end of story. move on. slap a $50 price tag on it. $150 if spawn becomes relevant again. tah dah!

Edited by the blob

Here's my Spawn list:

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

a 90,000 print run was an extreme limited edition in 1992...

here's one that has a ton of sales that i guess was not on my radar other than being a batman book with a cool cover:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-566-1986-nm-Classic-Batmans-Rogues-Gallery-cover-and-story-/221680477703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d2fa607

A print run is not relevant on ebay.. Its about how many listings are on it.. Soooo

You can be the only one with an X-Men #1 1991 out of 6,000,000 that were printed and just name your price

John Maynard Keynes is rolling over in his grave. Without demand, supply is mute.

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

(shrug)

Welcome to the thread. Nobody, that I recall, has mentioned selling. We are having a grown (sometimes) discussion on the merits of ADs / previews / 1st appearances.

Please feel free to contribute something useful to the conversation.

1107623_zps02277c3f.jpg

Here's my Spawn list:

So if we just care about an image outside the story why is anyone even talking about rust 1 or even malibu sun 1? there he is in previews, first non-comic/advertising appearance. end of story. move on. slap a $50 price tag on it. $150 if spawn becomes relevant again. tah dah!

I think the appeal is that Rust #1 is Spawn's first appearance in an actual comic book. Malibu Sun #13 used to fill that slot because it had the dimensions of a comic book, even though it was only a preview book.

Personally, I don't really care about Spawn's ad in Previews, or if it turns out that he appeared earlier in a newspaper ad somewhere. First appearance in a comic only!

One may say that I could be biased since I have a few copies of Rust #1, but I was also making a very similar argument for Malibu Sun #13 months ago (without owning a copy).

But, to each his own.

here's one that has a ton of sales that i guess was not on my radar other than being a batman book with a cool cover:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-566-1986-nm-Classic-Batmans-Rogues-Gallery-cover-and-story-/221680477703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d2fa607

Sweet! I'll pull my copy tonight! (thumbs u

(shrug)

Welcome to the thread. Nobody, that I recall, has mentioned selling. We are having a grown (sometimes) discussion on the merits of ADs / previews / 1st appearances.

Please feel free to contribute something useful to the conversation.

hm7mt.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker