• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Are we done with being silly?

Being silly? Because someone pointed out your view on Cable taking off in the hobby changed three times. Seems like you went excessive to over-emphasize how nobody better question your changing view on things.

No, Bosco. As usual, as you have done countless times in the past, you're trying to incite a fight.

Not going to happen.

My "view" on "Cable taking off" did not change, it did not evolve.

They are estimates, and estimates, by their very nature, are not precise.

You're trying to play "gotcha!", and it's disingenuous.

Now, are we done being silly?

Is this a topic that truly fires you up or do you just like to argue in general? It's odd

Being silly? Because someone pointed out your view on Cable taking off in the hobby changed three times. Seems like you went excessive to over-emphasize how nobody better question your changing view on things.

No, Bosco. As usual, as you have done countless times in the past, you're trying to incite a fight.

Not going to happen.

Is this a topic that truly fires you up or do you just like to argue in general? It's odd

RMA is the [undisputed] world champion re: arguing comics re: 1986 - 1998 or so. He bends, but never breaks, whereas the the rest of us are left mere shells of men when he is done.

RMA is the [undisputed] world champion re: arguing comics re: 1986 - 1998 or so. He bends, but never breaks, whereas the the rest of us are left mere shells of men when he is done.

A comic book warrior, with a web belt fully loaded with textnades, with pins always half-pulled.

:ohnoez:

New Mutants #87 was NOT "$25...after four-five months from (sic) its publication."

Sure it was. At that point I was helping my LCS setup at shows throughout NJ and NY. The hot books were New Mutants #86 first because of 1st Liefeld (I never saw much excitement with his 1st cover on 85), and right behind it was New Mutants #87.

Guides did their best to keep up with the prices popping up rapidly on these semi-hot and hot books. Shows and local stores would pick up on what collectors were taking took, react to it rather fast, and then slowly it would make its way into guides.

You can tell someone they are wrong, lying, confused - whatever makes you feel justified. But those are the facts for my region. Other regions could and probably did differ. That doesn't make it wrong.

Not going to happen.

There is history of which you are likely unaware.

Just like #298 was the book to have for a while, not #300.

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, it was Liefeld...not Cable...that started the fire.

That changed, but it took a while to change.

ASM #298 was the "money book", and #300, because it was an anniversary issue and bigger, was about the same for a while...but it wasn't about Venom for quite some time.

A comic book warrior, with a web belt fully loaded with textnades, with pins always half-pulled.

The newer people aren't going to be aware of this, but you have been warned by moderation not to pick fights with various people on the boards over the years.

You really ought to cut it out.

Don't know if you're angry at something today, and need to vent, but you're not going to find what you're looking for here.

New Mutants #87 was NOT "$25...after four-five months from (sic) its publication."

Sure it was.

No.

At that point I was helping my LCS setup at shows throughout NJ and NY. The hot books were New Mutants #86 first because of 1st Liefeld (I never saw much excitement with his 1st cover on 85), and right behind it was New Mutants #87.

Guides did their best to keep up with the prices popping up rapidly on these semi-hot and hot books. Shows and local stores would pick up on what collectors were taking took, react to it rather fast, and then slowly it would make its way into guides.

Did you read what I posted? Even if your "region" was selling them for $25 in April-May of 1990...which I find so unlikely as to be statistically impossible...these things didn't operate in a vacuum, and, as I already pointed out, by November...fully half a year later....NM #87 was still only a $5 book in the Overstreet Update. The OPG is, ostensibly, an average. If New Mutants #87 was selling for $25 in April-May of 1990 anywhere in the US...how could it only be $4 in September in the Update, and $5 in November in the Update?

Does that sound reasonable to you?

You can tell someone they are wrong, lying, confused - whatever makes you feel justified. But those are the facts for my region. Other regions could and probably did differ. That doesn't make it wrong.

You're projecting, Bosco. I don't need to "feel justified" about anything, and that you use the word "feel" reveals who is the one doing the feeling.

I want you, and me, and everyone, to have accurate, truthful information, with a good faith effort at reaching a reasonable conclusion, where absolute fact can't be known. That's my goal, and always has been.

There is no need to make it personal, none whatsoever.

The newer people aren't going to be aware of this, but you have been warned by moderation not to pick fights with various people on the boards over the years.

Don't know if you're angry at something today, and need to vent, but you're not going to find what you're looking for here.

This +1 MILLION.

Just like #298 was the book to have for a while, not #300.

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, it was Liefeld...not Cable...that started the fire.

That changed, but it took a while to change.

ASM #298 was the "money book", and #300, because it was an anniversary issue and bigger, was about the same for a while...but it wasn't about Venom for quite some time.

It did become about Venom sooner than later though. Looking at a copy of X-Force 3 from 1991 and the American Comics advertisement already had broken out ASM 331-333 and 345 - 347. This was way before ASM 361. So why would they be charging $5 a copy and limit 1 if not Venom? I know this goes against your line of thinking RMA but the facts and research here need to be acknowledged so that we can get a clear grasp of what was going on...

The new people may not be aware of this, but you have gone overboard to prove yourself right. To include a few moderation actions for going to the extreme when people differ with your opinion.

Meanwhile, stop acting like an innocent.

There is no need to make it personal, none whatsoever.

This is being personal? This is the general result when not being open to other opinions and experiences.

Why you trying to make it as if someone noticing you have changed your views is all of a sudden being confrontational? It shows this exactness you expect of others doesn't always apply as over time you change your views through experience or learning.

Now the price thing is something you always differ over. That's just a stance based on if it wasn't noted in the guide as the price of the time or mentioned in passing as a result at a reported show, then it didn't happen. That doesn't mean you have to tell people they are wrong. It just means you didn't experience it at the time. And that is okay.

Did you read what I posted? Even if your "region" was selling them for $25 in April-May of 1990...which I find so unlikely as to be statistically impossible...these things didn't operate in a vacuum, and, as I already pointed out, by November...fully half a year later....NM #87 was still only a $5 book in the Overstreet Update. The OPG is, ostensibly, an average. If New Mutants #87 was selling for $25 in April-May of 1990 anywhere in the US...how could it only be $4 in September in the Update, and $5 in November in the Update?

Statistically impossible?

- Region 1 sells a NM 87 for $5

- Region 2 sells a NM 87 for $7

- Region 3 sells a NM 87 for $6

- Region 4 sells a NM 87 for $9

- Region 5 sells a NM 87 for $25

Average price = $10.40

Just with those five tiny samples, a $25 sale gets hidden in the average sale price rather easily. So if a price guide is sampling across many regions, those $25 sales happening in a region seem to hide themselves in the average.

See how that works statically with a small sample?

Statistically impossible?

- Region 1 sells a NM 87 for $5

- Region 2 sells a NM 87 for $7

- Region 3 sells a NM 87 for $6

- Region 4 sells a NM 87 for $9

- Region 5 sells a NM 87 for $25

Average price = $10.40

Just with those five tiny samples, a $25 sale gets hidden in the average sale price rather easily. So if a price guide is sampling across many regions, those $25 sales happening in a region seem to hide themselves in the average.

See how that works statically with a small sample?

No offennse but you might be to young to understand history here. With 7 months or less NM 87 was a wall book rather it be 60 dollars or 85 dollars is beside the point. Trying to pin down how hot this book was in different areas is besides the point. NM 87 was a hotter book faster than NM 98 is beyond a shadow of a doubt. To try to pretend otherwise is just madness at this point.

To quarrel over where this book was hot versus overall areas is dumb to be honest. It .took off here locally in the midwest region way before NM 98 did by leaps and bounds. NOBODY cared about NM 98 as much as NM 87 at the time. And that is a fact.

2c

Edited by natevegas

No offennse but you might be to young to understand history here. With 7 months or less NM 87 was a wall book rather it be 60 dollars or 85 dollars is beside the point. Trying to pin down how hot this book was in different areas is besides the point. NM 87 was a hotter book faster than NM 98 is beyond a shadow of a doubt. To try to pretend otherwise is just madness at this point.

To quarrel over where this book was hot versus overall areas is dumb to be honest. It .took off here locally in the midwest region way before NM 98 did by leaps and bounds. NOBODY cared about NM 98 as much as NM 87 at the time. And that is a fact.

2c

No offense taken at all.

And yes, New Mutants #87 was definitely THE hot book of the run for a long while once the Liefeld excitement calmed down. That's a given.

But telling anyone that collected at that time they don't know what they are talking about concerning New Mutants #87 was hot at the time seems kind of confrontational, and cuts off dialogue versus sharing experiences. That's dumb.

2c

No offense taken at all.

And yes, New Mutants #87 was definitely THE hot book of the run for a long while once the Liefeld excitement calmed down. That's a given.

But telling anyone that collected at that time they don't know what they are talking about concerning New Mutants #87 was hot at the time seems kind of confrontational, and cuts off dialogue versus sharing experiences. That's dumb.

True yet the champion at the time was NM 87 over NM 98 by a landslide. I like both books moving forward to be honest. :baiting: