• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,847 posts in this topic

And RMA isn't when he makes it a point of demanding of others they only post about comic book market history if they can prove it in writing?

See how that reverse logic works? Just because you want to support RMA, you ignore the fact he does that to people. But when they apply the same approach...petty.

All I know is around my neck of the woods NM 87 was a 60 + dollar book in NM raw right after the release. If anyone says otherwise it may be true may be false it doesn't really matter. OVG was and still is behind the times no matter internet feedboack now versus then. The book was hard to find and still is in high grade. NM 98 wasn't until about 7-10 months ago when movie news went from rumor to official and that is a fact.

Take it to the bank ya'll. :sumo:

Edited by natevegas

All I know is around my neck of the woods NM 87 was a 60 + dollar book in NM raw right after the release. If anyone says otherwise it may be true may be false it doesn't really matter. OVG was and still is behind the times no matter internet feedboack now versus then. The book was hard to find and still is in high grade. NM 98 wasn't until about 7-10 months ago when movie news went from rumor to official and that is a fact.

I hadn't gotten back into comic collecting until around 2007. In chatting with folks at stores about what was worth reading and collecting, someone said there was a rumor of Deadpool getting a movie. I thought they were joking, as I never remembered this character being a prime role in those 90's stories. I think up to 2008 I was able to pick up nice examples still for $25. If only I had hung in there and trusted the rumor.

(:

I hadn't gotten back into comic collecting until around 2007. In chatting with folks at stores about what was worth reading and collecting, someone said there was a rumor of Deadpool getting a movie. I thought they were joking, as I never remembered this character being a prime role in those 90's stories. I think up to 2008 I was able to pick up nice examples still for $25. If only I had hung in there and trusted the rumor.

(:

We are all in that same boat buddy! :ohnoez:

We are all in that same boat buddy! :ohnoez:

I loved the movie. Still have two of my NM #98 9.8's set aside. But honestly, I so want to see Cable explode onto the screen delivered by an actor that can make him that big a deal.

Could just be a 90's yearning.

frankly, the nm 87 argument really devolved. i know everyone is free to argue as they wish and i would never suggest otherwise, but maybe there is an new area we can explore?

fact is there are regional differences. can't say re: this particular book, but i honestly think BA and SA prices were depressed, for example, in the NYC/NJ area for a long time, pre interweb, because there were so many old timey dealers with huge stockpiles here. that stuff has been spread around nationally since then, but in the early 90s i think it was still the case. and some dealer at some show starts pushing a book for $25, maybe others get the bright idea to do so. the world was so different before ebay and chat boards. this kind of stuff could actually happen. a book could get pumped up by calling every shop in a 100 mile radius over and over again asking if they have it and maybe making a strategic buy or four.

Just like #298 was the book to have for a while, not #300.

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, it was Liefeld...not Cable...that started the fire.

That changed, but it took a while to change.

ASM #298 was the "money book", and #300, because it was an anniversary issue and bigger, was about the same for a while...but it wasn't about Venom for quite some time.

It did become about Venom sooner than later though.

What does "sooner" mean, and what does "later" mean?

I said this to Bosco, and I'll say it to you: these things aren't scientific, and you will not find precision about who became hot, when, and where.

Looking at a copy of X-Force 3 from 1991 and the American Comics advertisement already had broken out ASM 331-333 and 345 - 347. This was way before ASM 361. So why would they be charging $5 a copy and limit 1 if not Venom? I know this goes against your line of thinking RMA but the facts and research here need to be acknowledged so that we can get a clear grasp of what was going on...

If you could post pictures of these ads, that would be tremendously helpful to everyone.

ASM #347 was "way before" #361? There were 11 months in between those two issues. And there was another 5 months in between ASM #347 and the ad you're referring to.

And how do you know what "goes against my line of thinking"? Where did I say that Venom was completely ignored until ASM #361, and nobody ever cared about the character until then?

I didn't, and wouldn't, say that. But Venom, like Deadpool, took a considerable amount of time to catch people's attention. Yes, there was a shift, starting around 1991, between viewing #300 as a "McFarlane book" to being "1st Venom"...but it was gradual, and didn't happen overnight.

And, like New Mutants #100, the catalyst for the madness was ASM #361, which found full expression with Lethal Protector.

No need to put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

Did you read what I posted? Even if your "region" was selling them for $25 in April-May of 1990...which I find so unlikely as to be statistically impossible...these things didn't operate in a vacuum, and, as I already pointed out, by November...fully half a year later....NM #87 was still only a $5 book in the Overstreet Update. The OPG is, ostensibly, an average. If New Mutants #87 was selling for $25 in April-May of 1990 anywhere in the US...how could it only be $4 in September in the Update, and $5 in November in the Update?

Does that sound reasonable to you?

Statistically impossible?

- Region 1 sells a NM 87 for $5

- Region 2 sells a NM 87 for $7

- Region 3 sells a NM 87 for $6

- Region 4 sells a NM 87 for $9

- Region 5 sells a NM 87 for $25

Average price = $10.40

Just with those five tiny samples, a $25 sale gets hidden in the average sale price rather easily. So if a price guide is sampling across many regions, those $25 sales happening in a region seem to hide themselves in the average.

See how that works statically with a small sample?

Not the point, as usual.

The "statistically impossible" isn't about IF someone sold a copy for $25...the statistically impossible is THAT someone sold a copy for $25.

Pretty basic.

The newer people aren't going to be aware of this, but you have been warned by moderation not to pick fights with various people on the boards over the years.

You really ought to cut it out.

Don't know if you're angry at something today, and need to vent, but you're not going to find what you're looking for here.

The new people may not be aware of this, but you have gone overboard to prove yourself right. To include a few moderation actions for going to the extreme when people differ with your opinion.

Meanwhile, stop acting like an innocent.

Like I said...whatever has happened in your life to cause you to attempt to pick old fights, you need to look elsewhere.

Reasonable people will read the exchange, and make their own determinations as to who, what, where, when, and how. You had no reason to enter the debate by responding directly to me, and you've been told not to do that before by moderation.

If you're going to say things that aren't true, you need to be prepared to be corrected, regardless of the source.

If you're going to make things personal, you have been warned about that, on multiple occasions, and you need to look elsewhere.

If you wish to discuss the facts, by all means, feel free.

If, however, you are going to continue to make this personal, the moderators will be involved, and this thread will be locked down.

Go elsewhere to get whatever out of your system that needs to be gotten out.

There is no need to make it personal, none whatsoever.

This is being personal? This is the general result when not being open to other opinions and experiences.

No, Bosco, you're being disingenuous. You don't belong trying to engage me in a conversation. I don't talk to or about you publicly, and I don't post responses to your comments. You are supposed to behave the same way. It has nothing to do with "not being open to other opinions and experiences", which Chuck, Jeffro, Park, comix4fun, and countless others can tell you isn't true, all of whom have disagreed with me at one time or another. This has to do with you.

You can tell someone they are wrong, lying, confused - whatever makes you feel justified. But those are the facts for my region. Other regions could and probably did differ. That doesn't make it wrong.

Why you trying to make it as if someone noticing you have changed your views is all of a sudden being confrontational? It shows this exactness you expect of others doesn't always apply as over time you change your views through experience or learning.

Now the price thing is something you always differ over. That's just a stance based on if it wasn't noted in the guide as the price of the time or mentioned in passing as a result at a reported show, then it didn't happen. That doesn't mean you have to tell people they are wrong. It just means you didn't experience it at the time. And that is okay.

Are you aware that you've just responded to your own words?

Both the two above quotes are yours.

Are you aware of that?

But telling anyone that collected at that time they don't know what they are talking about concerning New Mutants #87 was hot at the time seems kind of confrontational, and cuts off dialogue versus sharing experiences. That's dumb.

Nobody has done that.

The real problem is that you look for opportunities to score points, to get digs in, as you believe you've done here with my "changing position" as to when New Mutants #87 was what, why, and how, which has never changed. That's disingenuous, and just Bosco being Bosco.

And RMA isn't when he makes it a point of demanding of others they only post about comic book market history if they can prove it in writing?

See how that reverse logic works? Just because you want to support RMA, you ignore the fact he does that to people. But when they apply the same approach...petty.

If you want to make this personal, take it elsewhere.

Not the point, as usual.

The "statistically impossible" isn't about IF someone sold a copy for $25...the statistically impossible is THAT someone sold a copy for $25.

Pretty basic.

But it very much is the point. Don't you get that?

For a period of time these higher sales occurring end up hidden in the average that gets reported out. And sure, Overstreet and a few others would summarize some of the market events going on. But if they perceived these as outliers, then the folks collecting the data could see these as oddities not worth calling out.

Dismiss the thinking if you like. But it happens in statistical analysis, which is why companies arm themselves with DA's and Statistical Scientists to better predict through models and detailed analysis. It's the reality of business.

Not the point, as usual.

Pretty basic.

But it very much is the point. Don't you get that?

For a period of time these higher sales occurring end up hidden in the average that gets reported out. And sure, Overstreet and a few others would summarize some of the market events going on. But if they perceived these as outliers, then the folks collecting the data could see these as oddities not worth calling out.

Dismiss the thinking if you like. But it happens in statistical analysis, which is why companies arm themselves with DA's and Statistical Scientists to better predict through models and detailed analysis. It's the reality of business.

Not the point. The "statistical impossibility" is not IF someone sold one for $25, how does that "hide" in the averages. I don't dispute that, because it's not disputable.

The statistical impossibility is THAT someone could sell one for $25 in April-May of 1990.

Do you not understand the difference? I really don't think you do.

And are you aware that you responded to your own quote, several posts back?

If you wish to discuss the facts, by all means, feel free.

I will. And I am.

Like someone posted a moment ago, they saw a $60 price on a New Mutants #87 early on. Do I doubt it? Not at all. It was a time LCS owners were realizing the market was moving back to being an investment vehicle again. So books were coming out and not too long after were being put on the wall for sometimes crazy prices.

My LCS owner was aggressive like this. Great guy. But he knew well enough to jump on these trends quickly. When he received Emerald Dawn #1, the demand was big. A weekly later, he had them in the box for $8. Two weeks later, on the wall for $12. And they were selling.

High sales happened. And with New Mutants #87, the prices came on fast in some areas. Faster in others. Cable appeared to be something different.

Not the point. The "statistical impossibility" is not IF someone sold one for $25, how does that "hide" in the averages. I don't dispute that, because it's not disputable.

The statistical impossibility is THAT someone could sell one for $25 in April-May of 1990.

Do you not understand the difference? I really don't think you do.

And are you aware that you responded to your own quote, several posts back?

Then it isn't the 'statistically impossible' you are going for. Because it is statistically possible. That's easy to prove. It is you feeling it is not actually possible sales in the $25 or greater range took place. I can confirm I saw such sales in my local stores. Not sure if the person mentioning a $60 pricetag actually knew if it sold. And I am sure others have such experiences to share. If you are willing to listen.

I made a mistake when I posted a response? How dare you call this out. Duel at 12 PM tomorrow. Feathers and tar.

Just kidding. No duelling.