• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

A walk down Copper Age memory lane.

:cloud9:

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

28840-4249-32020-1-what-if-.jpg

I forgot about this one.

I remember when Hawk & Dove came out and seeing that cover thinking its Art Adams, I bought it immediately without thinking, next month everyone was talking about that book and this new artist. the next big liefeld book was What If #7.. When it got to NM85/86 Rob was already the new "new kid on the block" (fresh soon after Mcfarlane) and then everything else followed

A walk down Copper Age memory lane.

:cloud9:

I remember having that Hawk & Dove mini series. The artwork was actually not bad compared to the later New Mutants work.

I forgot about this one.

Scott Williams.

At some point Williams decided he was mainly just going to ink Jim.

In various documentaries you hear the IMAGE founders speak about how even inkers who would normally be viewed as great really didn't fit them, which is why when they started their studios you saw an influx of new inkers.

I remember loving that book, but when I look at it now, all I can see is his misplaced head, lol .

oh man yes. Not a bad piece otherwise but the seeds of what would come later are already there lol

Both with the anatomy, and the ridiculously huge gun

If you wish to discuss the facts, by all means, feel free.

I will. And I am.

Like someone posted a moment ago, they saw a $60 price on a New Mutants #87 early on.

Who?

What is "early on"? May of 1990? April of 1991?

Without facts, these statements...like trying to prove how "hot" something was at a specific time...have no meaning.

You have to use evidence when you have it, and come to reasonable (that being the most important word in this entire discussion) conclusions about what happened, when.

As has been noted, ECC had an ad that listed NM #87 for $7, in an ad that was placed with Marvel roughly around the time that NM #96 was on the stands, which would have been around November of 1990.

ECC, as can be seen from their ads, was no slouch on the "hot comics = high prices" dept.

So, you see, it's not reasonable to conclude that anyone was asking...much less actually selling...New Mutants #87 for $25 or $60 in April or May of 1990, despite your protestations to the contrary.

In fact, in one of the Overstreet Update market reports described above (#22, which was written in January of 1992), Bill Townsend of Electric City Comics says: "Everybody wants, but nobody has, New Mutants #87. When I think of all the copies I sold for $5 a year ago, I cry" (emphasis added.)

Now, of course Bill wasn't being strictly precise...but, that would have put it around Dec 90/Jan 91, which would make perfect sense.

So, if Bill Townsend...a major dealer at the time...was selling these books for $5/ea around the end of 1990 and beginning of 1991...does it really seem reasonable that anybody was asking for, much less getting, $25...or $60...a copy in April or May of 1990?

It would have made news if such a thing happened. Someone, somewhere, somehow, would have mentioned it.

Yet....not a peep, and two different sources, 6 months later, (Nov/Dec 1990) saying the book was around $5-$7.

It's not a reasonable claim.

Do I doubt it? Not at all. It was a time LCS owners were realizing the market was moving back to being an investment vehicle again. So books were coming out and not too long after were being put on the wall for sometimes crazy prices.

My LCS owner was aggressive like this. Great guy. But he knew well enough to jump on these trends quickly. When he received Emerald Dawn #1, the demand was big. A weekly later, he had them in the box for $8. Two weeks later, on the wall for $12. And they were selling.

Is that the same LCS owner that didn't think ASM #129 was worth more than surrounding issues in early 1989...?

By the way, Emerald Dawn #1 was an instant hit. That cover and the story that went with it were major draws.

High sales happened. And with New Mutants #87, the prices came on fast in some areas. Faster in others. Cable appeared to be something different.

No doubt. But they weren't THAT fast.

Not the point. The "statistical impossibility" is not IF someone sold one for $25, how does that "hide" in the averages. I don't dispute that, because it's not disputable.

The statistical impossibility is THAT someone could sell one for $25 in April-May of 1990.

Do you not understand the difference? I really don't think you do.

And are you aware that you responded to your own quote, several posts back?

Then it isn't the 'statistically impossible' you are going for. Because it is statistically possible. That's easy to prove. It is you feeling it is not actually possible sales in the $25 or greater range took place. I can confirm I saw such sales in my local stores.

Ok. Confirm away.

Confirmation being something besides just your word for it, of course.

A sales receipt, a video recording, anything that would independently confirm such an occurrence.

I don't expect such confirmation to be forthcoming, but it would be nice to have it. Otherwise, it's just your word, and I don't expect my word to be taken at face value around here, so why would anyone else?

Not sure if the person mentioning a $60 pricetag actually knew if it sold. And I am sure others have such experiences to share. If you are willing to listen.

I am willing to listen to any reasonable claim. It is not a reasonable claim to say reputable (or even disreputable) comic dealers were asking for, much less getting, $25 a copy for New Mutants #87 in April or May of 1990, when, a full 6 months later, the book was about $5-$7.

I wouldn't ask you to waste your time being "willing to listen" to outlandish, silly, time-wasting claims, and take them seriously, like "aliens came from Venus and took over the offices of Marvel Comics in 1961, and were responsible for creating Fantastic Four and other super-hero comics, to disguise their true intentions of world domination through long-underwear theology", and then berate you for not having an "open mind" about it.

Why do you?

I made a mistake when I posted a response? How dare you call this out. Duel at 12 PM tomorrow. Feathers and tar.

Just kidding. No duelling.

It does say something about your attention to detail.

I forgot about this one.

I bought and loved pretty much every issue of that second series of What If? for the first few years. So many excellent stories and it actually got me interested in some of the much-heralded Marvel epics I hadn't read yet. That's one series that could really use the Omnibus treatment. When I purged most of my collection in the late 90's, this issue was one of the few I kept and still have -- I've always loved this cover, anatomy be damned.

Man, I loved that What If? series as well.

Same here. One of my birthday cakes was the cover to #58. The picture is somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it.

FIND IT :sumo:

I'm heading back to NY next weekend. I'll see where my mom stashed it.

Without facts, these statements...like trying to prove how "hot" something was at a specific time...have no meaning.

At least four people posted in the past day they experienced New Mutants #87 pricing much higher than $5 early on in the run for their region. Ignoring this because it wasn't making headlines yet would be missing out on a part of comic history. And sure, at times, people's memories can get slightly cloudy. But when more than one points this out, it helps validate things were moving fast back then due to speculators and companies wishing to take advantage of market trends.

Oddly, you have the opposite stance with Superman #75's release date. Multiple examples in print were provided to confirm November 18th was the date (newspaper clipping; photos of events at stores; Roger Stern noting the date in his book "The Life and Death of Superman'). It made more sense once you shared your West Coast experience was a later release date. That didn't make the 18th less valid.

As far as your statement X-Tinction Agenda is what made Cable popular, I have to disagree. Liefeld and Cable were already hot properties, which is why when the news hit Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld would have a series of crossover books making up the run, speculators ordered heavy on these books.

Is that the same LCS owner that didn't think ASM #129 was worth more than surrounding issues in early 1989...?

The NJ/NY area was heavily supplied by multiple comic book stores at this point, including the five I frequented. The store you reference missed the mark early with Punisher's early appearance to my benefit, while pricing Punisher #1 LS high rather quickly. It happens. Look at folks finding hot books in dollar bins at comic stores and shows because dealers miss a trend.

It does say something about your attention to detail.

I'll be fine. But thanks for noting this.

X-Tinction Agenda advertisement leading up to its release.

JU0hrNL.png

Wolverine as the attention-grab for Uncanny X-Men.

1. Uncanny X-Men #270 (November 1990)

4. Uncanny X-Men #271 (December 1990)

7. Uncanny X-Men #272 (January 1991)

Cable as the attention-grab for New Mutants.

2. New Mutants #95 (November 1990)

5. New Mutants #96 (December 1990)

8. New Mutants #97 (January 1991)

Archangel as the attention-grab for X-Factor.

3. X-Factor #60 (November 1990)

6. X-Factor #61 (December 1990)

9. X-Factor #62 (January 1991)

Man, I loved that What If? series as well.

Same here. One of my birthday cakes was the cover to #58. The picture is somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it.

FIND IT :sumo:

I'm heading back to NY next weekend. I'll see where my mom stashed it.

Now he has us all waiting.

:ohnoez: