• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever read...

7 posts in this topic

The Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes from the 1970's? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12593&item=2259970717&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

I'm too lazy to get a picture myself. Anyway I was looking around the library of my school and happened to find Volume 1 (Batman) and Volume 2 (Wonder Woman). I took out the Bats and it's very interesting. It's really great info for GA books. It basically gives a breif story synopsis for each appearance that a person has had in the 40's and 50's but trails off and is only has intermitant synopsis for some of the 60's stories. I always wondered whether the most famous items in the Bat Cave were actually featured in stories or if they just made it seem that way and threw the big Dinosaur and Giant Penny in the Bat Cave. I went under the Bat Cave listing and there were the answers. It gave the issue that the more famous trophies were used in a crime.

The book says that there were supposed to be 8 Volumes but I have only seen the Batman and Wonder Woman volume. I have read that a Superman one was released but the other 5 never came out does anyone know if the Supes one definitely was printed?

Apparently not,....

The front of the book indicates that this was to be the first of an 8-part series. Volumes 2 (Wonder Woman) and 6 (Superman) were the only other two to be published (I've never seen a copy of either one). Volumes 3 (Capt. Marvel, Plastic Man & The Spirit), 4 (Green Lantern), 5 (Flash), 7 (Captain America, Sub-Mariner and the Torch) and 8 (Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Starman & Spectre) were never published.

Linkage... Cosmic Treadmill

Apparently not,....

The front of the book indicates that this was to be the first of an 8-part series. Volumes 2 (Wonder Woman) and 6 (Superman) were the only other two to be published (I've never seen a copy of either one). Volumes 3 (Capt. Marvel, Plastic Man & The Spirit), 4 (Green Lantern), 5 (Flash), 7 (Captain America, Sub-Mariner and the Torch) and 8 (Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Starman & Spectre) were never published.

Linkage... Cosmic Treadmill

Yeah that;s the site I found the info about the Supes being in existance and the other 5 not being printed. Just wanted to see if anyone else had some insight as you sometimes can't trust everything you read on a website...

I had the Batman Encyclopedia when I was a kid, and I would use it as a reference for buying Golden Age books when I was finally able to afford them. A buddy of mine would use the book to track down as many of the early Catwoman stories he could find. The only editions that came out were Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman(when the movie was released), and that was called THE GREAT SUPERMAN BOOK or something like that. I would have loved to read some of the other volumes, Fleischer did a wonderful job of creating the flavor of the stories in his synopses.