• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How comprehensive are grader notes?

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone give an example where they fail to list a major defect that was present at the time of slabbing?

I am looking at buying a 9.4 silver book the grader notes state:

Left top back cover crease

Right centre front cover multiple dents

But on the FC top right corner is a decent sized colour breaking crease. Is this likely to have occurred post slabbing? I.e. scs? It is an old label book...

Let me know your thoughts.

I don't want to post pics as it isn't my book yet. I am more interested in getting an answer re how comprehensive grader notes are and the likelihood they would not note something like this.

Cheers

Jake

Graders notes have always been, for the most part, relatively weak. They can offer some useful info.

They were decent when they were free. I wouldn't pay for them now though as they have never had enough info to warrant any charges.

A few years ago I bought a GK Jonny Quest # 1 CGC 8.0. it was a very sharp looking 8.0. When I received it and was able to examine it more closely, I was even more puzzled that it was only an 8.0 so I decided to call for the notes. The notes I was given were as follows and I quote..

"Comic has many krinkles"

That's it. Nothing more. lol

Graders notes have always been, for the most part, relatively weak. They can offer some useful info.

They were decent when they were free. I wouldn't pay for them now though as they have never had enough info to warrant any charges.

+1. I've purchased two or three and I won't do anymore. Paying $4-$15 for 20 words or less isn't much of a value.

Yeah I have been buying them on and off for a while. Usually they are helpful on inconspicuous defects but my question in this case was:

Wether it is likely they would not note a sersious defect.

As if they wouldn't then the damage probably occurred post slabbing and means that the book isn't really a 9.4 any more.

Can anyone give an example where they fail to list a major defect that was present at the time of slabbing?

But on the FC top right corner is a decent sized colour breaking crease. Is this likely to have occurred post slabbing? I.e. scs? It is an old label book...

I don't want to post pics as it isn't my book yet. I am more interested in getting an answer re how comprehensive grader notes are and the likelihood they would not note something like this.

Cheers

Jake

They do not list visually obvious defects in the notes.

Cheers

Jake

They do not list visually obvious defects in the notes.

Thank you!

Jeffro did you crack it and see if it was krinkled?

No. I'll only crack it out if I ever decide to press it.

Urban Dictionary - Krinkling

He krinkled and krinkled until he could krinkle no more.

Not to be confused with the second definition of Krinkle.

lol

All the best if you de-crinkle this beauty.

:wishluck: