• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age dreams - they do come true

156 posts in this topic

As much as I like the third printing of Hulk #377, I think nothing beats the color scheme of the first printing. Two fluorescent colors, the right ones, and perfectly placed. :)
The 1st print looks great, but I like the more subtle, yet striking colors of the third print. All 3 are actually pretty sweet.

What I like about the first is the use of fluorescent inks. Fluorescent colors were unusual, and the 1980s fad about them was no longer there. Green is the Hulk color, making it fluorescent, in striking contrast with the other color and the black ink of the shadows and the whites produces an image of great impact. Third print is nice but basically follows the same color scheme, just without the fluorescent inks.

I do agree!

I like the 1st printing color scheme more than the 2nd or 3rd printing. But I can see how each (and all) appeal to different collecting focuses.

I like all the covers as well. I think I like the 3rd print the most in the end. But, when I was a kid and I saw the 377 on the shelf for the first time, I was immediately a fan of the cover. I used to just stare at it. I know own a few of the 1st's, 2 2nd's, and no 3rd's. Both my 2nd's are all fingerprinted up on the gold letters, and stressed spines. Still waiting for the day I find a 3rd in the wild.

As much as I like the third printing of Hulk #377, I think nothing beats the color scheme of the first printing. Two fluorescent colors, the right ones, and perfectly placed. :)
The 1st print looks great, but I like the more subtle, yet striking colors of the third print. All 3 are actually pretty sweet.

What I like about the first is the use of fluorescent inks. Fluorescent colors were unusual, and the 1980s fad about them was no longer there. Green is the Hulk color, making it fluorescent, in striking contrast with the other color and the black ink of the shadows and the whites produces an image of great impact. Third print is nice but basically follows the same color scheme, just without the fluorescent inks.

I do agree!

I like the 1st printing color scheme more than the 2nd or 3rd printing. But I can see how each (and all) appeal to different collecting focuses.

I like all the covers as well. I think I like the 3rd print the most in the end. But, when I was a kid and I saw the 377 on the shelf for the first time, I was immediately a fan of the cover. I used to just stare at it. I know own a few of the 1st's, 2 2nd's, and no 3rd's. Both my 2nd's are all fingerprinted up on the gold letters, and stressed spines. Still waiting for the day I find a 3rd in the wild.

It doesn't happen a lot. Finding them in a dollar box. But, I've seen it happen here before.

Michael Dooney day!

mBH8DeJl.jpg

NgZ5429l.jpg

Love his Gizmo covers.

:whee:

(thumbs u

You, sir, have great taste in comics.

We must be twins, separated at birth.

:cloud9:

Good times when it comes to the Copper Age. And after seeing Chuck Gower's Michael Dooney Valkyrie art, it reminded me how much I liked his Gizmo series.

I thought the days of finding an affordable, complete set of Liefeld New Mutants lot were long gone. Then a close-to-complete set popped up on Ebay two weeks ago starting at $.99, and only "New Mutants books" as the title.

$18 shipped, and a week later...

DG6zZgBl.jpg

fGaVzWbl.jpg

I don't think this is considered Copper age, but it just doesn't seem Modern to me either. I just picked this rare gem up for $3.50 in my LCS. I don't know how they let this slip under the radar, but......Bagged with no board just sitting in the Goon section. This shop just doesn't make these mistakes-until now that is :devil:

9EyoDVnh.jpg

AB9vFEEh.jpg

While what I paid for them ~3 years ago was about right, my two Copper Age grails are TMNT 1 (cgc 5.0) and Tick 2 uncut signature series (CGC 9.0).

Both bought here on the boards. Thank you, gents!

Still need the New England Comics newsletters with The TIck, however...

I don't think this is considered Copper age, but it just doesn't seem Modern to me either. I just picked this rare gem up for $3.50 in my LCS. I don't know how they let this slip under the radar, but......Bagged with no board just sitting in the Goon section. This shop just doesn't make these mistakes-until now that is :devil:

9EyoDVnh.jpg

AB9vFEEh.jpg

Nice score!