• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating a Registry Top Books List

59 posts in this topic

lol, any suggestions on how we can achieve the objective here - which is to gain consensus on a top list of books, so that we can ask for a CGC registry set to be posted (only for those that are interested, of course).

I expect arguments no matter what, but I'm wondering if by going for a top 150, we have a better chance of consensus.

Bring solutions people!

Of course :devil: another way to do it would be to go to 300 books - and we start the existing list and let people vote on what to add (or remove, if any) - after a fixed amount of time, the remaining list is the top 300 and submitted for vote and then to Gemma? :insane: why do i waste time with this.....

This may take a while, but what if we broke it into groups of 50? Picking the first 50 should be pretty easy for the most part, and then we pick #51-100, and #101-150, and so on. (These could also be used to make smaller registry sets if folks wanted them, similar to sets like ASM #1-25, ASM #1-100, and so on.)

Is this list to be composed of the most important books, or just the most expensive? I would agree that ASM #10 probably shouldn't make the top 100 based on importance (or cover attractiveness), but for value it is probably up there. Knowing the criteria from which to choose would help. I would also argue that the complete Hulk #1-6 run probably doesn't make the list if importance is a factor, but likely would if we pick on value.

If we go with the top #200 on a value proposition alone then simply hitting up GPA or the latest OSPG would end the discussion pretty quickly, but if we want to talk importance then I would vote for breaking the discussion down to 50 at a tlme.

Finally, I seem to remember a vote on the most important SA books that took place not too long after I found the boards. Granted the results were completely skewed by folks who are anti-DC (Flash #123, arguably one of the most important books of the SA IMHO, didn't make the top 30 or so IIRC) but it would be a start if someone could find it. The problem with polls through is that it turns into a popularity contest, which won't necessarily reflect importance to the medium.

Interesting idea, but you need to first define the criteria for how each book is a "top book?"

In terms of (relative and/or absolute) value? Monetary? Historical? Each term of value is subjected to many fluctuations.

There really is no way to have a fixed list of top 100-200-300 books- a book's value will shift depending on how posterity defines it. There are major keys that will always stay at or near the "top" but others can easily fall prey to "faded" memories that pass with each generation.

And yes, consensus also changes with time. Moreover, how many collectors out there would place a Green Lantern 59 on the list without including a House of Secrets 1?

Here's a suggestion- set up a group of forumites who agree on a particular list and endorse it as "your" list of top books.

Always interesting to discuss the keys and rank them nevertheless!

Respectfully,

John

Generally dollar value is going to track relative importance for the most part. Not exactly, probably, but close enough; especially if you look at maybe 8.0 prices to weed out books that have outsized value at uber grades because they are tough in grade (like ASM #28 for example). And while books may fluctuate in relative value/importance somewhat, a list of the top 50, top 100, top 200, etc, is going to stay relatively constant at this stage of the game (barring some upswing in interest in some character that is currently not on anyone's radar). Any 12 cent book is at least 44 years old, and many are 50, so the importance of any individual book is likely to have been recognized by now.

Great discussion.

Personally, I am a little biased against the purely value-based system, because that factors in supply as well as demand (and everything else).

But, if that what the group wants, I'm in.

I really like the idea of everyone agreeing to a group of 5-10 or however many guys, who set the list based on their point of view (and some, relatively objective scheme) and we agree to accept it.

I mean, most of us won't challenge books 1-100 more or less anyways....and if book #200 creates controvesy.... well (shrug) find something else to do with your time :)

And, I'm still just as cool with a top 300 list.

KEEP IT UP, AND I'LL CROSS IMSM1 OFF THE LIST lol

(thumbs u

Dont see why its so high. Its a 1 shot. It's no ones first appearance, and its greatly (and rightfully) overshadowed by each characters subsequent #1 issue the following month.

(thumbs u

Dont see why its so high. Its a 1 shot. It's no ones first appearance, and its greatly (and rightfully) overshadowed by each characters subsequent #1 issue the following month.

It's the starting point for the stories found in Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1.

(thumbs u

For that matter, none of those books ought to command the money they do. Neither IM #1 nor SM #1 has a first appearance or significant event either. IMSM #1 is only worth less than either of the other #1s because it didn't technically start the runs, but in order of story it does come first and on that basis could be argued to be equally as important.

This may take a while, but what if we broke it into groups of 50? Picking the first 50 should be pretty easy for the most part, and then we pick #51-100, and #101-150, and so on. (These could also be used to make smaller registry sets if folks wanted them, similar to sets like ASM #1-25, ASM #1-100, and so on.)

Is this list to be composed of the most important books, or just the most expensive? I would agree that ASM #10 probably shouldn't make the top 100 based on importance (or cover attractiveness), but for value it is probably up there. Knowing the criteria from which to choose would help. I would also argue that the complete Hulk #1-6 run probably doesn't make the list if importance is a factor, but likely would if we pick on value.

If we go with the top #200 on a value proposition alone then simply hitting up GPA or the latest OSPG would end the discussion pretty quickly, but if we want to talk importance then I would vote for breaking the discussion down to 50 at a tlme.

Finally, I seem to remember a vote on the most important SA books that took place not too long after I found the boards. Granted the results were completely skewed by folks who are anti-DC (Flash #123, arguably one of the most important books of the SA IMHO, didn't make the top 30 or so IIRC) but it would be a start if someone could find it. The problem with polls through is that it turns into a popularity contest, which won't necessarily reflect importance to the medium.

I would suggest breaking it down into even smaller chunks of perhaps 10 books at a time. This would allow time for more meaningful discussion and other books to come into the discussion. Plus given the amount of discussion required it would hopefully make it more manageable to work through the list. It might also encourage more folks to offer up their list of the next 10 books, as not too many offered up their take at the top 100 in the previous thread.

(thumbs u

It's the starting point for the stories found in Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1.

If the stories were iconic then I'd see the point of including them, but they arent. Iron Man #1 kicked off a 300+ issue run that ran from '68 to '96. IMSM was just a marketing trick to onboard readers to the new titles from the old...

Submariner #1 didnt have that kind of impact, and Subby is better know for his work in F4 than his own title... so I dont consider it that "key" either (vs Iron Man #1)

There is some collecting significance to a number 1 issue - especially for two more popular characters, but I understand the points of both sides. If we were picking a top 100, I might assume IMSM misses the cut...:.but top 300, probably makes it.

Do we get agreement by first getting agreement on criteria?

My criteria when we did this exercise previously:

(Working from the parameters of only DC/Marvel being considered, sorry Dell, Gold Key)

1. 1st appearance of a key super-hero (or in the case of older characters, 1st Silver Age appearance).

2. 1st issue of a long running title.

3. 1st appearance of the title hero's "arch nemesis" (is possible for multiple arch nemesis based on longevity and criticality)

4. 1st appearance of any long running, central characters

5. Iconic events either in the comic content of the comic format.

Previously I had 2nd appearance of key super-heroes, but *meh* whatever.

Granted this still leaves some stuff up for debate,... like who is "key", or who is the "arch-nemesis" or what evens are iconic..

Anyone want to try out the criteria to see if it holds up?

There is some collecting significance to a number 1 issue - especially for two more popular characters, but I understand the points of both sides. If we were picking a top 100, I might assume IMSM misses the cut...:.but top 300, probably makes it.

(thumbs u I'd by to 300 sure....