• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating a Registry Top Books List

59 posts in this topic

I think you're ambitious with this plan, and it could end up taking much longer to get this done. People will argue the merits of books 18 versus 19

Just to make sure this is clear, I'm not looking to force rank the top 200 (or 300, or whatever),

just establish them. The registry has it's own embedded ranking system thru it's assigned points by book/grade/slab type.

How about we start with my top 200 list and people weigh in on the top 150

E.g., which books are not on my top 200 list but belong i'n the top 150?

Then, we can take the new top 200 (with the other books suggested added). Finally, we either

A) use Overstreet or GPA to pull the top

B) nominate a group of boardies to review the list and select the top.

If we cant get this done, then our choices are "give up", or go back to Jenna and simply ask for a top book list, based on price in F/VF or VF or whatever.

Joey

Avengers 8 makes the list but not Avengers 9 ( 9 commands higher prices than 8; toughest of the early Avengers issues to locate in high grade ) :makepoint:

Avengers 8 makes it in my mind since its the first appearance of the Avengers top nemesis Kang. Has anyone else caused as much trouble as Kang?

Avengers 9 could be argued since its the first appearance of WonderMan, but is WonderMan important enough to justify inclusion in a "Key" list? I think the case can be made thanks to the role he played with The Vision, and later with the West Coast Avengers.... that'd be my argument not anything related to $$ or relative scarcity of a book.

coming late to the party. but I feel no more than 100 books is right for The Ultimate Key Book Registry list. Once you go deeper than that, too many marginal keys get included and the shades of grey between them blur decisions or rankings as to importance.

I dont participate in the registry cause Im not doing slabbed runs, but would be curious how peoples KEY collections would rate registry wise..

if 100 is just too small, why not a small and a larger more inclusive registry of 300. Like a "small straight" and a "large straight" in Yahtzee!!

Heck, 25 Gold, 25 Silver and 25 Bronze books would be the Ultimate three Registries to compete in, no? or 15/35/25 as one all inclusive best books ever registry!

Didn't someone already have a Boardie poll for the top 10 books ? We started with 100 or so candidate books and by process of elimination dwindled it down to the top 10.

I remember voting in the poll. Maybe a couple years back. If someone can find that thread perhaps it could be helpful.

:gossip: It would be best to have a Top Silver ( something of the sort already exists ) and a separate Top Bronze set.

Did you mean to give another link, Peter? this isn't a top anything set, but merely all silver age superhero books from 1961-65....

I never saw that set. Thats pretty cool. I wonder what percentage of thos books I have graded. hm

While a top 10 vote is cool, I'm after trying for a top 200 (or 300) book set. Takes more time to produce and so many cooler books which arent flashed as often!

My vote are three different sets. A 100, 200 and 300. Should be possible to establish. 300 will have some middling keys. Third and fourth appearances of major characters. And maybe 1st or 2nd of minors.

You could use overstreet's list Top 20 SA

AF15

FF1

Hulk 1

Showcase 4

ASM1

JIM 83

Xmen1

TOS 39

BB28

Showcase8

Flash 105

Showcase22

Adventure247

Avengers1

JLA1

TTA27

FF5

Showcase9

GL1

ASM2

FF2

Ugh. Second or third appearances other than reintro stories in AV4 or FF4? ASM2 instead of more important book like Flash 123?

I don't think we'll ever get a Board consensus on this but having said that I think we should first establish what constitutes the Silver Age for this category. Personally, I just don't see the late 60's flood of new titles on par with the early stuff.

I've always thought of the end of 12 cent books as the end of Silver. I know that a lot would disagree but it is an easy boundary.

I would also vote to take the second appearances like ASM #2 or Showcase #8 out of the list, and Flash #123 is an easy add IMHO. I wouldn't have a problem adding Tec #225 if there were a concensus.

But ASM 2 is vulture and SC8 is cap cold....if you're talking top 10-20 then I understand that logic....but not top 200 or 300.

if the boards can't get any consensus, then i'm going to (reluctantly) just suggest to Gemma that the top set be based off of prices for GPA 12-month average (perhaps 8.0s or 7.0s).

I'd prefer a group recommendation, but not sure it's going to be possible? (shrug)

Agreed. Ive always thought of tec225 as a silver book but it does predate the traditionally thought of beginning of the silverage book sc4. And I don't consider cap 117 to be silver. Too late by a few years for that.

Agree on Cap117 - remember my list was bronze and silver at first....

But ASM 2 is vulture and SC8 is cap cold....if you're talking top 10-20 then I understand that logic....but not top 200 or 300.

if the boards can't get any consensus, then i'm going to (reluctantly) just suggest to Gemma that the top set be based off of prices for GPA 12-month average (perhaps 8.0s or 7.0s).

I'd prefer a group recommendation, but not sure it's going to be possible? (shrug)

I believe he was talking about the comment I made regarding the overstreet top 20, NOT the top 200. Both of those books were included in the top 20 and I remarked that there would appear to be much better books for the top 20.

Then I agree wholeheartedly (thumbs u

I believe he was talking about the comment I made regarding the overstreet top 20, NOT the top 200. Both of those books were included in the top 20 and I remarked that there would appear to be much better books for the top 20.