• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's a Fair Deal! Take It!

5 posts in this topic

AKA... Two of a Perfect Pair!

AKA... Sometimes Losing at Auction is Actually Winning!

I am not sure what possessed me to do it! Is it mental illness or some kind of addiction? Or is it some kind of mania which has befallen me? I didn't need to make these purchases... they were not must haves or buys. In fact, I already own them... so these are dupes. So why did I buy them? Do I need to enroll in CGC Anonymous? Is someone out there planning an intervention? Do I need therapy? no!

Earlier this month, I was bidding for a CGC 9.8 of Swamp Thing Volume 1, Number 1 on ComicConnect. I patiently waited nearly till the bitter end of the auction when I placed a maximum bid of $1,600 thinking I would walk away with this beauty. This is a holy grail for me. I love Swamp Thing!.. And there are only 11 graded at 9.8 out of 872 in total. But, believe it or not, I was outbid... the winning bidder paid a whopping $2,600 for it! Can you believe?

Somewhat shell-shocked, I mindlessly searched and trolled my favorite auctions sites looking for another chance at a 9.8. Sadly, it never materialized. I gave up and told myself "get over it".

However, some weeks later, several 9.6's seemed to pop up out of the woodworks, and at prices which I considered FMV's (Fair Market Value) or near bargains. Feeling the need to preserve cash for the holidays, and knowing the ominous "Fiscal Cliff" looming as a "harbinger of financial doom", I told myself, " If you commit to a purchase, fight tooth and nail to get the best damn value you could possibly get!" And viola! Believe it or not, I did!

That majestic piece of comic heaven which stands before you, came into my world, at the negotiated price of $450 including shipping costs. Not bad huh?

Currently, the Overstreet Price Guide values a Swamp Thing Volume 1, Number 1, at $350... and that's for a 9.2 raw and ungraded. It goes without saying a CGC 9.6 should fetch multiple values! In fact, back in August 2012, a 9.6 sold for $750 on Comiclink.

Yes, it may not be the 9.8 I truly wanted, but at one grade below and at $1,150 less than what the 9.8 went for... I feel like I somehow won!

On top of that, on or about the same day of my purchase of ST#1, a Demon Volume 1, Number 7, in 9.8 gets my attention on eBay. There are only a total of 26 graded in the entire CGC Census, of which 8 are in 9.8. So I picked it up for $150... a bit over fair market value... but the Mickey the Pikey voice in me from Guy Ritchie's Snatch say's... "It's a fair deal! Take it! Have I made myself clear?"

So I did.

Check out the pair, see pic below.

By the way, if you never seen Snatch, take a look at this short segment... Brad Pitt and company are f*cking brilliant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-nirYb00s. The movie's gold!

Happy Collecting!

SW3D

12760.JPG

See more journals by screenwriter3d