• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preview: Silver 2

33 posts in this topic

I see people had a hard time with this one. Have to remember that bigger scans really amplify the defects. So before we go any further here is what this book received

cc6a.jpg

I notice that people grade more loosely when a book is posted raw as opposed to in a slab in this forum.

Overgraded... crazy.gif...blunted llc , color loss at the bottom edge and lrc blunting just don't add up to 9.4 ... JMO sorry.gif

Judging a book in hand is one thing, from a big scan it becomes much more difficult.

here's a suggestion nik from a non player, post/have only real life comic size scans so nothing is magnified. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Judging a book in hand is one thing, from a big scan it becomes much more difficult.

here's a suggestion nik from a non player, post/have only real life comic size scans so nothing is magnified. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

But a book is graded using amplification to detect flaws... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

how many people here actually do this, i know i don't. confused-smiley-013.gif POV has magnified glasses and he still couldn't detect the CT on one of his GA horror books. foreheadslap.gif

I use 7.5 magnification when grading my books... wink.gif

Is not 9.4 reserved those comics that are near perfect.. with no color breaks anywhere, and or no chipping of anykind??

Let me answer that.

Ah, NO!!!

The book you are describing is a 10.0 book.

I own 20-30? CGC 9.4 Gold to Silver-Age books and I can honestly say that there isn't one of them that I can't see at least two to three flaws (i.e. spine stress, tiniest of corner creases, nicks at the edges, etc.)

The problem is looking at a basic scan on eBay, makes an 8.0 book look like a 9.4. Grab a Heritage catalof and from the small scans even the VG books look NM. Then look at the website and you can see ALL the DEFECTS.

Is not 9.4 reserved those comics that are near perfect.. with no color breaks anywhere, and or no chipping of anykind??

Let me answer that.

Ah, NO!!!

The book you are describing is a 10.0 book.

I own 20-30? CGC 9.4 Gold to Silver-Age books and I can honestly say that there isn't one of them that I can't see at least two to three flaws (i.e. spine stress, tiniest of corner creases, nicks at the edges, etc.)

The problem is looking at a basic scan on eBay, makes an 8.0 book look like a 9.4. Grab a Heritage catalof and from the small scans even the VG books look NM. Then look at the website and you can see ALL the DEFECTS.

Well..I know the current OS desription of a 9.4 "near perfect" might not be the same as what CGC follows.

Can they differ that much?

The impetus for my question , was indeed this 9.4 D.D. Nikos posted.

When I compare this 9.4 to all the others out there(large scans or small).. I just cant agree with the 9.4 grade.

"Near Perfect" to me cannot include the 3 obvious flaws this book has, and will not alter what I feel a 9.4 should look like.

Am I alone in this? confused-smiley-013.gif

Z

I see people had a hard time with this one. Have to remember that bigger scans really amplify the defects. So before we go any further here is what this book received

cc6a.jpg

I notice that people grade more loosely when a book is posted raw as opposed to in a slab in this forum.

Overgraded... crazy.gif...blunted llc , color loss at the bottom edge and lrc blunting just don't add up to 9.4 ... JMO sorry.gif

Man, that Bronze Example #1 was blunted so badly the book was almost ROUND but everyone thought it was in the mid-NM range! 893frustrated.gif

You are all nutty as turds, my friends.

cc6a.jpg

Yikes, seems too high again. I'm a grinch -- there appears to be an actual hole in the paper on the BLC spine. I'd have said maybe 8 or 8.5. 9.4, wow! 893whatthe.gif