• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man, Does DC Showcase Presents Ever SUCK!

52 posts in this topic

So after buying almost the complete Marvel Essentials collection I decided to expand into the DC Showcase Presents by getting a few for Christmas. Bronze Age Batman, Justice League, Superman, etc.

But man, do they suck.

I am accustomed to reprinting entire issues, at least those that are new content, but the DC versions just take small snippets out of each issue that deal with the main character and delete everything else. WTF?

I could even understand if the content was offbeat or totally unrelated to the subject matter, but I bought one Batman/TEC collection with the express intent of re-reading some of those Robin Goes to College segments... which naturally were totally deleted. We get the "Next up, Robin Goes to College" plug at the end of the Batman story, then it's on the next issue.

And they even mention "Robin Goes to College" right on the back of the book! Talk about a punch to the gut.

This sucks hard and I feel like I wasted money on a pile of heavily edited junk. There's no flow, no nostalgia, no nothing, just a few pages of clipped-out stories from an issue and nothing else. Just pure garbage.

I honestly don't understand your complaint. Why would a Tec/Batman showcase reprint Robin backup stories? If you want the Robin or Batgirl ones, then you can pick up those separately. http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=13507031 and http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=11020201

You should look at what you are purchasing to see what is included in the collection. I love the showcases and think they are a fabulous way of reading back issues.

His complaint is very simple. Why can't DC just reprint the entire issue, instead of clipping and mutilating the book to only include certain things from the issue. Why should someone have to buy more than one trade paperback just to read everything that was included in one issue? Marvel sure seems to have figured it out. :ohnoez:

So after buying almost the complete Marvel Essentials collection I decided to expand into the DC Showcase Presents by getting a few for Christmas. Bronze Age Batman, Justice League, Superman, etc.

But man, do they suck.

I am accustomed to reprinting entire issues, at least those that are new content, but the DC versions just take small snippets out of each issue that deal with the main character and delete everything else. WTF?

I could even understand if the content was offbeat or totally unrelated to the subject matter, but I bought one Batman/TEC collection with the express intent of re-reading some of those Robin Goes to College segments... which naturally were totally deleted. We get the "Next up, Robin Goes to College" plug at the end of the Batman story, then it's on the next issue.

And they even mention "Robin Goes to College" right on the back of the book! Talk about a punch to the gut.

This sucks hard and I feel like I wasted money on a pile of heavily edited junk. There's no flow, no nostalgia, no nothing, just a few pages of clipped-out stories from an issue and nothing else. Just pure garbage.

I honestly don't understand your complaint. Why would a Tec/Batman showcase reprint Robin backup stories? If you want the Robin or Batgirl ones, then you can pick up those separately. http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=13507031 and http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=11020201

You should look at what you are purchasing to see what is included in the collection. I love the showcases and think they are a fabulous way of reading back issues.

His complaint is very simple. Why can't DC just reprint the entire issue, instead of clipping and mutilating the book to only include certain things from the issue. Why should someone have to buy more than one trade paperback just to read everything that was included in one issue? Marvel sure seems to have figured it out. :ohnoez:

It's a perfectly reasonable complaint. Yes, why can't DC just reprint the entire issue? It's not that much different than buying a DVD collection of your favorite TV series only to find that all the episodes are the "edited for TV" versions.

Issues like these are why I'm considering binding my own comics.

Nothing like a good ol' double standard to start the New Year! :grin:

Hate to burst anyone's bubble (actually, I kinda enjoy it), but this is exactly the same thing that Marvel did with the Captain America and Iron Man Essentials.

The first volumes reprint the stories from the Tales Of Suspense issues which the two characters shared (well, most of them). So, why did Marvel deem it necessary to divide those issues in separate volumes? Why not have an Essential Tales Of Suspense? hm

(And, more importantly, where was the outrage then? :gossip: )

But man, do they suck.

It's a perfectly reasonable complaint. Yes, why can't DC just reprint the entire issue? It's not that much different than buying a DVD collection of your favorite TV series only to find that all the episodes are the "edited for TV" versions.

Issues like these are why I'm considering binding my own comics.

Personally, if I buy a Batman showcase I only want Batman stories. If I wanted Robin stories, I would purchase the Robin ones. The way I understand how Showcases are collected by character. So I would not expect Tomahawk to be collected in a Batman / Superman World's Finest Showcase. When I read Jonah Hex showcase, I expected and was delighted that ONLY Jonah Hex stories were collected. Because I only wanted to read his stories. Would you expect DC to collect Green Arrow back up stories in the Batman Showcase? No I would expect them to be presenting in a Green Arrow Showcase.

I only recall a handful of Showcase collections that do print the back up stories along with the main in one collection. But that is an exception. I just think that the OP should have checked up the book prior to purchasing it. A quick Wiki look up reveals that ONLY batman stories were collected in that volume. DC has been printing Showcases for several years now so requesting C2C at this point makes me question if the OP even understands what a Showcase collection is about. Not trying to be argumentative here just tired of all the DC hate going on.

Did you even read the above message? I only had cover scans to go by on Amazon and this info:

Reprinting tales from DETECTIVE COMICS #391-407 and BATMAN #216-228, this value-priced collection includes the introduction of Man-Bat and Batman's battle with The League of Assassins.

Nowhere did I see that these were heavily edited excerpts from each issue.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble (actually, I kinda enjoy it), but this is exactly the same thing that Marvel did with the Captain America and Iron Man Essentials.

But both Subby and Iron Man are major characters with long-running books from that era.

Robin only appeared in Batman titles, was Batman's partner, and did not have a "Robin" series from that era. If there was a "Robin the Boy Wonder" SA or BA series that ran for 70+ issues then I would at least understand the separation, but back in the GA/SA/BA Robin was part of Batman.

I honestly don't understand your complaint. Why would a Tec/Batman showcase reprint Robin backup stories? If you want the Robin or Batgirl ones, then you can pick up those separately.

But why don't they include all the Robin appearances in Batman and TEC, including his first appearance? If it's a chronological character-based series then there are a LOT of missing Robin appearances not in that volume.

DC doesn't seem to even have any rules about this and it's obviously pandering for multiple volume purchases.

Did you even read the above message? I only had cover scans to go by on Amazon and this info:

Reprinting tales from DETECTIVE COMICS #391-407 and BATMAN #216-228, this value-priced collection includes the introduction of Man-Bat and Batman's battle with The League of Assassins.

Nowhere did I see that these were heavily edited excerpts from each issue.

It sounds like your problem is more with how Amazon respresents the book. If I am looking for something reprinted I tend to verify the source. A quick wiki lookup would tell you they are only reprinting Batman stories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Showcase_Presents_publications

Man, I miss Millar's TPB site.

I honestly don't understand your complaint. Why would a Tec/Batman showcase reprint Robin backup stories? If you want the Robin or Batgirl ones, then you can pick up those separately.

But why don't they include all the Robin appearances in Batman and TEC, including his first appearance? If it's a chronological character-based series then there are a LOT of missing Robin appearances not in that volume.

DC doesn't seem to even have any rules about this and it's obviously pandering for multiple volume purchases.

Showcases are not considered a chronological based collection. For that you need to get the Chronicles editions. But they are very slowly getting released. The rules (IMO) are what they can get the writer/artists to sign off on for the absolutely cheapest reprints possible. I believe John Ostrander was completely appalled at DC on what they required of him in order to reprint Suicide Squad in Showcase format. That showcase never came to light but we did get vol 1 in color. Now if they would only release vol 2...

Not trying to be argumentative here just tired of all the DC hate going on.

No hate here. I just agree with JC on this one. I own and have enjoyed a few Showcase trades. I just prefer having an entire issue reprinted, not only half or two-thirds of it. Hence my comment on binding my own comics. For example, I can take my Sgt Rock comics starting at # 302 and have them bound myself. Then I get the entire issue, not just what the publisher wants me to have. The reason I want that is because the Sgt Rock comic frequently featured very cool backup stories by up and coming DC artists such as Totleben, Veitch, the Kubert Brothers, and others.

If DC publishes a Showcase volume of these issues, I'm only going to get the Rock stories and nothing else. That's what is annoying and why I agree with JC

But both Subby and Iron Man are major characters with long-running books from that era.

Robin only appeared in Batman titles, was Batman's partner, and did not have a "Robin" series from that era. If there was a "Robin the Boy Wonder" SA or BA series that ran for 70+ issues then I would at least understand the separation, but back in the GA/SA/BA Robin was part of Batman.

I understand your point, but these particular Robin (and Batgirl, and Green Arrow) stories in Detective were completely unrelated to whatever was happening in the Batman stories from the same issues. From a reader point of view, it makes absolute sense to reprint them separate volumes.

But I get your frustration. If it's any consolation, you're not missing much by not reading them. I'm currently re-reading my Bat-collection and to be honest I'm actually only flipping through most of these back-up stories. :foryou:

I was actually considering buying some of these "reprints" but now that I found out they are edited and a lot of it is lost in the shuffle I'll pass. Even if the side-stories don't necessarily tie in with the main story I like having the FULL issue reprinted cover to cover.

That sucks

Personally, if I buy a Batman showcase I only want Batman stories. If I wanted Robin stories, I would purchase the Robin ones. The way I understand how Showcases are collected by character. So I would not expect Tomahawk to be collected in a Batman / Superman World's Finest Showcase. When I read Jonah Hex showcase, I expected and was delighted that ONLY Jonah Hex stories were collected. Because I only wanted to read his stories. Would you expect DC to collect Green Arrow back up stories in the Batman Showcase? No I would expect them to be presenting in a Green Arrow Showcase.

I only recall a handful of Showcase collections that do print the back up stories along with the main in one collection. But that is an exception. I just think that the OP should have checked up the book prior to purchasing it. A quick Wiki look up reveals that ONLY batman stories were collected in that volume. DC has been printing Showcases for several years now so requesting C2C at this point makes me question if the OP even understands what a Showcase collection is about. Not trying to be argumentative here just tired of all the DC hate going on.

I'd go along with this. (shrug)

The TPB is called "Showcase Presents Batman" and features Batman stories. If they included all the backup features, the Batman content would be cut in half. I'm a completist in some matters, but if I bought this book, Batman stories are pretty much what I'd want to be reading.

Sounds like they are reprinting tales from those books. :makepoint:

I understand your point, but these particular Robin (and Batgirl, and Green Arrow) stories in Detective were completely unrelated to whatever was happening in the Batman stories from the same issues.

No, and that's my entire point. The Robin stories were a part of the Batman issue/continuity, and there were even lead-ins to the Robin story at the end of the Batman tale. In the TEC where Robin leaves for college and drives away in the Batman part, it totally disrupts the issue because you don't see the second part about Robin getting to college.

In other issues, Robin is shown reading a letter from Batman (a framing mechanism to "tell" the Batman story) and then at the end says something like "I hope Batman is reading my letter too") after which (in the actual comic book) we get Batman framing the Robin tale.

They really are interwoven and connected as a Part 1/Part 2 format, and that's my big gripe with the Showcase design. It absolutely kills the flow of the stories as the writers had obviously intended them to be read.

Just to show people who may not have read the issues what's going on, I'll post the ending page of the Batman tale from TEC 394with Robin reading; Batman's letter (which is the last panel we see in the Showcase Presents before going on to next month's Batman story) and after that I posted the two Batman framing pages from the "follow-up" Robin story,

It's quite obvious they were meant to be read sequentially, and that this is absolutely killed by the stupid decision to clip/edit the story for the Showcase Present edition.

133402.jpg.0f16ff281884433e1db99dfe18b6c720.jpg

133403.jpg.df4f1eb2d39d4f78ade8256a3847c58e.jpg

133404.jpg.43a5671864082fe112674eee3a7bb60d.jpg

Just to show people who may not have read the issues what's going on, I'll post the ending page of the Batman tale from TEC 394with Robin reading; Batman's letter (which is the last panel we see in the Showcase Presents before going on to next month's Batman story) and after that I posted the two Batman framing pages from the "follow-up" Robin story,

It's quite obvious they were meant to be read sequentially, and that this is absolutely killed by the stupid decision to clip/edit the story for the Showcase Present edition.

This is only one story, though. And it really doesn't subtract anything important from the main Bat-stories in the following issues.

The whole point would be moot if DC had simply whited-out the last panel from the Tec 394 Bat-story in the Showcase edition. hm

This is only one story, though. And it really doesn't subtract anything important from the main Bat-stories in the following issues.

Hey, you said they were "completely unrelated" and I posted some pages that tossed that argument down the drain, and I could do the same with the sequence where Robin leaves for college within the Batman story (it's a very important part of the SA/BA Batman break) and then it totally leaves that part of the story out.

There are also many instances like I posted above, where Batman is writing a note to Robin about his exploits and vice versa, but I thought people might have actually read these books and not wrongly assume this was an "isolated incident". doh!