• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there such a thing as an 'open' board?

73 posts in this topic

You know I've posted here occasionally; and answered here occasionally - Most times for points which hit a nerve, or for which I thought I had something to offer. But in the main I remain as one of the many who try this board, and simply give up soon realizing that it is simply an extended email discussion among a small handful - I've watched very credible people try it once or twice, but soon disappear - their posts hi-jacked into another in-tangent. I'm sure those select few will at this very reading be formulating their sarcastic responses, with the appropriate smiley faced cut & paste jobs - You call new posters 'newbies'; when in fact some of those 'newbies' are major players, whose years of experience would add meaniful discussions to a 'true' comic board - I've seen them disappear after one post.

Do you think there is such as thing as an open Board, where the merit of a post is based on experience and expertise, and the quality of the post rather than the amount of posts on that particular Board and the fact that they know every member by their first name? - I personally think that it is the malaise of Boards -

I thought the reviews of San Diego were great, but in the main when reading the majority of posts on this Board I feel I'm eveasdroping on a private discussion - A shame really for the Collectors Society Board.............Go on shovel on the scrurrilous abuse.you always do.........precisely my point!

You know I've posted here occasionally; and answered here occasionally - Most times for points which hit a nerve, or for which I thought I had something to offer. But in the main I remain as one of the many who try this board, and simply give up soon realizing that it is simply an extended email discussion among a small handful - I've watched very credible people try it once or twice, but soon disappear - their posts hi-jacked into another in-tangent. I'm sure those select few will at this very reading be formulating their sarcastic responses, with the appropriate smiley faced cut & paste jobs - You call new posters 'newbies'; when in fact some of those 'newbies' are major players, whose years of experience would add meaniful discussions to a 'true' comic board - I've seen them disappear after one post.

Do you think there is such as thing as an open Board, where the merit of a post is based on experience and expertise, and the quality of the post rather than the amount of posts on that particular Board and the fact that they know every member by their first name? - I personally think that it is the malaise of Boards -

I thought the reviews of San Diego were great, but in the main when reading the majority of posts on this Board I feel I'm eveasdroping on a private discussion - A shame really for the Collectors Society Board.............Go on shovel on the scrurrilous abuse.you always do.........precisely my point!

I agree completely. Shame on those thread hi-jackers. They know who they are. 893naughty-thumb.gif

There will never be a chat board that will be 100% meaningful and insightful. That would be boring to no end. Most of the long time users on these boards have discussed ad nausem the field of comic colelcting. How many times do you want to discuss Hulk 181 and how cool it is? These newbies you refer don't want to hassle with searching the threads to find a relevant post to their interest. So they start a new thread to talk about something that has been discussed over and over again. So this new thread gets hi-jacked or ends up a graemlin fest by those that have discussed it in the past.

There are very interesting discussions all the time on these boards. You say that these experienced collectors give up after one or two posts, how interesting can they be? The best way to earn credibility on the boards is to post more. If you are going to hide behind an online ID and not share anything then what's the point? These boards are more than just a place to talk comics, it's a place where friends can meet. Friends usually have fun, at least they should, which is what the hobby should be about.

I'm getting emotional here.....GROUP HUG!!! acclaim.gif

You take the wrong approach. You read a thousand times more than you write. I came here and started posting and immediately got into trouble. In retrospect, I guess I posted ambiguosuly and left myself open for negative comment.

BUT - that got cleared up and I am now a tolerated member of the forum. Had I tucked my tail between my legs and ran when the going got a bit rough, I would probably be posting the same thing you are.

Your observations are all based on your reticence to stick to it and just get involved. You say "when reading the majority of posts on this Board I feel I'm eveasdroping on a private discussion" - well YEAH - you set yourself up for that. You don't post and you just read. And you get the feeling you are eavesdropping. Well, you ARE eavesdropping, in a sense, because it is more than one-way.

Now I have no idea who you are or why you posted this: if it is genuine my words are addressed to you. If you are one of the many who come on here and just stir up trouble, nmy words are for those who DO come here for cimc talk and feel similarly.

You know? I have gotten to know more collectors I trust and consider a friend from these boards than I have in anywhere else in 23 years of collecting. And meeting people at Wondercon I had never met before but only knew through here? Not a hint of awkwardness or hesitation. Like firiends who hadn;t sen each other in a while and then just picked up where they left off.

So you, or folks feeling eavesdroppingish, heed my words. You can either join and get to know a LOT of amazing peope or you can get your toe wet and then look for a bath-sized towel to stay dry.

Typo Edit: ::left the easy to decipher typos but could NOT dweal with bath-sozed::

There will never be a chat board that will be 100% meaningful and insightful. That would be boring to no end. Most of the long time users on these boards have discussed ad nausem the field of comic colelcting. How many times do you want to discuss Hulk 181 and how cool it is? These newbies you refer don't want to hassle with searching the threads to find a relevant post to their interest. So they start a new thread to talk about something that has been discussed over and over again. So this new thread gets hi-jacked or ends up a graemlin fest by those that have discussed it in the past.

There are very interesting discussions all the time on these boards. You say that these experienced collectors give up after one or two posts, how interesting can they be? The best way to earn credibility on the boards is to post more. If you are going to hide behind an online ID and not share anything then what's the point? These boards are more than just a place to talk comics, it's a place where friends can meet. Friends usually have fun, at least they should, which is what the hobby should be about.

cloud9.gif Finally, something that doesn't deserve a sleeping.gif

cloud9.gif Finally, something that doesn't deserve a sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

as you read this know i was once a lurker so i liked what i saw even before i got here.

POV make a great point, this is a place to learn, it's an evolution. a learning curve built in. Stay

and learn to hear what's between the lines. Look I had a ploblem with using a lot of the

"Graemlins " i use less, I used to use all capts. to reply, now i try not to as much.

posting, giving a responce, telling us this were nobody yet have gone-off on you,speakes to

the soul of this band of merriy pranksters. There is love , and , repect here if you look a

little closer. or as i like to say " at the end of the day it's all just talk & comics ".

Egam, like POV, I went through a baptism of fire when I started. Most people do. Also like POV, I didn't quit posting. I'm not a shrinking violet, and don't scare easily. Once that rocky start was behind me, I found it to be a lot of fun. But then, I participate. And if you think it felt closed to you, I was basically talking my way into a boy's club (and I'm not just female, I'm a DC fan!). Yet my boys here still accepted me. I thought that was very cool of them. They could have worked at making me feel unwelcome, to keep the estrogen levels at an absolute minimum, but they didn't.

Everyone who posts here, including you, makes a decision on how much and how often they post. Each member decides how to present himself and his views. Each member decides if he wants to be combative, playful, insulting, knowledgeable, petulant, etc.. You can chose which forum suits you best. You can chose whose messages you respond to. In short, your experience here is primarily controlled by you. So if you're not enjoying the experience, look to yourself first, as that is the one person's messages you can control.

-- Joanna

I see some truth in what your saying. Some people seem to be infatuated with their post counts... and there is a clique to an extent that exists here. But... if you have spent time on other boards... you already know that... as all boards are pretty much like that. And... thats fine with me.

I could not careless if I was never "accepted" fully on this board flowerred.gif... and I really don't care what my post count is at either. I come here to read about the comic industry... to relive my childhood to an extent... (thats when I was a comic collector)... and to hear about other people's collections... anyway... i think this board is pretty much what you make it to be.

Anyways... back to work... frown.gif

I see some truth in what your saying. Some people seem to be infatuated with their post counts...

No kidding, there's one self-absorbed individual who even goes as far as to brag about it in his avatar. mad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifgreggyavatar.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Egam, like POV, I went through a baptism of fire when I started. Most people do. Also like POV, I didn't quit posting. I'm not a shrinking violet, and don't scare easily. Once that rocky start was behind me, I found it to be a lot of fun. But then, I participate. And if you think it felt closed to you, I was basically talking my way into a boy's club (and I'm not just female, I'm a DC fan!). Yet my boys here still accepted me. I thought that was very cool of them. They could have worked at making me feel unwelcome, to keep the estrogen levels at an absolute minimum, but they didn't.

Everyone who posts here, including you, makes a decision on how much and how often they post. Each member decides how to present himself and his views. Each member decides if he wants to be combative, playful, insulting, knowledgeable, petulant, etc.. You can chose which forum suits you best. You can chose whose messages you respond to. In short, your experience here is primarily controlled by you. So if you're not enjoying the experience, look to yourself first, as that is the one person's messages you can control.

-- Joanna

You are so right, We (the males of this board ) need a female voice here and you speak

(sing), and write it very well. People here help in more ways than most, Stay tell us a story of you.

Yeah, this new thing of "celebrating post counts" is completely lame.

There. I said it. You guys who celebrate your 2,000th post? Just shut up and post. Nobody cares.

That being said, despite my best efforts to the contrary, I'm growing to like all of you bastards. This place may be clique-ish, it may be childish, but at least Greggy keeps most of his sexual advances hidden away safely in PMs.

Oh. Is that the sort of humor that was so irritating to the original poster? The inside joke? Is it funny to have the Canadian version of The Mad Groper hitting on you in Private Messages? Maybe this place is more of a support group for Greggy Survivors, did you ever think of that?!!

And as far as "[!@#%^&^] off the BSDs"... well, tough. We've got ourselves a pretty healthy little network of buyers, sellers, and traders right here and I don't think those Big Boys of the Comic Industry are going to start refusing our money any time soon (unless your name is Ian-- oops, another inside joke). If they get irritated with US, then they should see the less-informed, less-erudite, less-entertaining boards 'round the net.

In short, get in where you fit in. If they let ME stay around, they'll keep anybody.

Oh, and:

ooo.gifmad.gifcool.gifsmile.giffrown.gifblush.gifcrazy.giflaugh.gifshocked.gifsmirk.gifconfused.gifgrin.gifwink.giftongue.gifsign-rantpost.gif

893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifsign-offtopic.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifshy.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gifdevil.gifangel.gifflowerred.gifnews.gif

sleeping.gifboo.gifflamed.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gifjuggle.gif

There. I said it. You guys who celebrate your 2,000th post? Just shut up and post. Nobody cares.

That being said, despite my best efforts to the contrary, I'm growing to like all of you bastards. This place may be clique-ish, it may be childish, but at least Greggy keeps most of his sexual advances hidden away safely in PMs.

Oh. Is that the sort of humor that was so irritating to the original poster? The inside joke? Is it funny to have the Canadian version of The Mad Groper hitting on you in Private Messages? Maybe this place is more of a support group for Greggy Survivors, did you ever think of that?!!

And as far as "[!@#%^&^] off the BSDs"... well, tough. We've got ourselves a pretty healthy little network of buyers, sellers, and traders right here and I don't think those Big Boys of the Comic Industry are going to start refusing our money any time soon (unless your name is Ian-- oops, another inside joke). If they get irritated with US, then they should see the less-informed, less-erudite, less-entertaining boards 'round the net.

In short, get in where you fit in. If they let ME stay around, they'll keep anybody.

Oh, and:

ooo.gifmad.gifcool.gifsmile.giffrown.gifblush.gifcrazy.giflaugh.gifshocked.gifsmirk.gifconfused.gifgrin.gifwink.giftongue.gifsign-rantpost.gif

893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifsign-offtopic.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gifinsane.gifshy.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

sleeping.gifboo.gifflamed.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gifjuggle.gif

sleeping.gif

Oh, and:

lolinsane.gifshy.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifsign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gifgossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

zzzboo.gifflamed.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gifjuggle.gif

What He Said. It Is So True.

16 responces and no abuse, but also no reply.????

This could be the typical "pot-shot and run" scenario.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I give it four more posts and then I'm derailing this sonuvaperson_without_enough_empathy. devil.gif

You derailed it with your first post! grin.gif