• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there such a thing as an 'open' board?

73 posts in this topic

Still, looking around at the number of former and present OS advisors, major dealers, BSDs and the like that are still present and accounted for, I think the two that have been "run off" are more than compensated for by the dozen(s?) that still remain.

Who are the two? Tom B and Linmoth? I don`t think JP counts as "run off" because he was never really here. I still chuckle about all the board members naive enough to think that JP would actually deign to grace us with his presence or that he could actually contribute anything of value to the conversation.

hey - -we were all just being nice so he's stick aroiund and we could get info from him.... It was a bit much, but had he ever repled or stuck around I an very sure many of us would have asked pointed questions and criticisms as to his comics collecting track record as time went on...

dont you agree?

POV make a great point, this is a place to learn, it's an evolution. a learning curve built in.

That's my problem, I open mouth and insert foot. I should learn to lurk longer.

Also like POV, I didn't quit posting. I'm not a shrinking violet, and don't scare easily. Once that rocky start was behind me, I found it to be a lot of fun. But then, I participate. And if you think it felt closed to you, I was basically talking my way into a boy's club (and I'm not just female, I'm a DC fan!)

As a female I'm used to abuse and condescension. But I'm not a thornless rose either. (I won't even mention my piddling pile of Archies that I saved from the crayons and scissors of smaller siblings)

The boards are in essence, my office water cooler. My pattern has been to check in fairly often, especially if there is a hot topic I am interested in. To me, it definitely is a community. It has never occured to me to wonder why someone else spends more or less time on the boards. The only reason I notice post totals is probably because I'm a stat freak, with some OCD mixed in. I also could tell you how many books total I've read since 1976. Or what Cleon Jones batted in 1969. Strange but true.

AHA! This is why I feel a kinship with Redhook! OCD! And also because I work at home and spend too much time here.

If you see value here in learning about the comics market, prices, good stories, convention reports, etc etc etc, just keep speaking up.

That's why I'm staying.

I agree that as a newbie, it's intimidating to post or start a thread. But, the analogy to a large party is a good one. Just find a conversation that interests you, see if you can add to it, and start to build a relationship.

Helps if you have a drink in your hand acclaim.gif

It takes a long while for members to break the ice, some longer than others , but once you are tolerated it is a pretty good feeling and a great place to be.

This place is very infomitive, you get to chat with good honest people that usually have the same pation about your hobby, you find honest graders,(and warnings about others). Its funny as [!@#%^&^] sometimes in here, sometimes dull but in general there is always alot happening, remember variety is the spice of life.

Tolerated would be fine with me.

When I sold my business I thought I could kick back and enjoy life a little.

But circumstances dictated I had to go back to work. I found my little niche in selling comics. And I have come to love it. And when I found this board my appreciation of the art and literary form grew. And even though the Book of Khaos states; Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors comics; I find myself casting lusty glances at DiceX ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #46 VARIANT! CGC 9.4.

And yea though I walk in the shadow of poverty I say "I will never be hungry for comics again!"

well said no ,you are not coming across as :"... putting foot in mouth...." we arive here from

differant places, we speak with differant vocies., but this is a place to try . people here a very forgiving and there is a lot of 'tough' love . grow be part of what you see,help make it better,

just be you, by telling us a story. flowerred.gifhi.gif

hey - -we were all just being nice so he's stick aroiund and we could get info from him.... It was a bit much, but had he ever repled or stuck around I an very sure many of us would have asked pointed questions and criticisms as to his comics collecting track record as time went on...

dont you agree?

I agree!

I'm also a little perturbed that a thread was started and the original poster didn't stick around or reply to any comments. FUELMAN SAYS: just post away and, if you see a question from someone, give your oppinion/reply. We are not grading each other & there are no failing grades given.If you have what you feel is an interesting idea start a thread. Most of all, contribute!

As ffor "Major Players" coming here to post:

1) This is a forum for discussing comic related issues, not a "This Space for Rent" billboard to sell your books, try to attract new buyers with your most recent aquisitions or promote your TV/Radio show. Take it to the Market Section for that.

2) If you are a "Major Player", and you don't tell people who sing your praises to "Please don't sing praise to us", don't get all upset when you receive negative comments. In particular, don't start PMing those posters with F-Bomb emails.

sign-rantpost.gif

And welcome to the Boards! flowerred.gif

dont you agree?

I agree!

I'm also a little perturbed that a thread was started and the original poster didn't stick around or reply to any comments. FUELMAN SAYS: just post away and, if you see a question from someone, give your oppinion/reply. We are not grading each other & there are no failing grades given.If you have what you feel is an interesting idea start a thread. Most of all, contribute!

As for "Major Players" coming here to post: All are welcome, but:

1) This is a forum for discussing comic related issues, not a "This Space for Rent" billboard to sell your books, try to attract new buyers with your most recent aquisitions or promote your TV/Radio show. Take it to the Market Section for that.

2) If you are a "Major Player", and you don't tell people who sing your praises to "Please don't sing praise to us", don't get all upset when you receive negative comments. In particular, don't start PMing those posters with F-Bomb emails.

3) Don't start a thread which is a subtle slam at another dealer: That ain't proffesional!

sign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

And welcome to the Boards! flowerred.gif

Posting this pic because, um, well, I wanna and I can't think of anything to add!!

557292-6thsense.jpg

It would be better if you stuck George Bush in the picture in place of Bruce Willis! 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

It would be better if you stuck George BushC in the picture in place of Bruce Willis! 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

DANGER DANGER Water Cooler Alert DANGER DANGER

FUELMAN appoligizes to the Repulican candidate,...My bad! flowerred.gif

It would be better if you stuck George BushC in the picture in place of Bruce Willis! 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

DANGER DANGER Water Cooler Alert DANGER DANGER

BTW- where can I get one of them, there talkin' robots? I WANT ONE! 27_laughing.gif