• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne's Holy Grail Posted On E-bay!

10 posts in this topic

ACA Comix Number 1 is available on Ebay

This goes out to any and all John Byrne fans, especially those who read and replied to my journal I posted about the very same comic: ACA Comix Number 1, John Byrne's 1st published comic book (not first published work, but first published comic book).

Let me just say, I am in no way associated, representing, or connected with the seller who is posting their copy of ACA Comix Number 1. I have no idea who this person is.

I am only alerting the collecting community at large, especially those JB fans who have been wanting this rare gem.

One interesting thing to note, the seller claims to have been a personal friend of John Byrne in his youth, and managed to get it signed on the back cover with a personal note: "For my friend Richard, John '71"

Anyway... it's up for sale on eBay... Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-BYRNE-1ST-C...ultDomain_0&hash=item20cdca69fd

Good Luck! I hope it finds a nice home!

Happy New Year

SW3D

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Well on the CGC census, there exists one copy at 8.0, so I imagine they would.

And you are so right, I am very appreciative of the copy I own... I still can't get over how lucky and fortunate I am... 3 dollars!!!

I'm actually holding off on getting it graded for the moment until I obtain some information. I plan to contact the Alberta College of Art and speak to someone in Archives and see if they can provide me with details of the Gallery Expo tied to the comic. I'm genuinely interested in knowing why the school chose to have such an event to begin with (I think an Art Expo featuring Comic Art is very unusual for something like that in 1971, especially a Canadian school), which artists exhibited at the event (imagine if comic pros exhibited?), who were the invited guests (perhaps comic pros and other famous students), how many catalogues were printed (I'm guessing 500 to 1500), and any info on JB (perhaps even a photo).

SW3D

Maybe you're right... nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Just curious... what do you think of the ACA being sold on eBay? Does it look like JB signed it?

That does look like the signature he used in those days, but it would be difficult to verify. I'll be surprised if whoever is selling that gets his asking price. I'm a huge Byrne fan, but I personally wouldn't pay a G for it.

I forgot to mention to you...I might have one of the rarest Byrne items ( though I would probably rather have the ACA book ). Before JB turned pro he did a 3 plate portfolio of characters he created to use as pitch ideas to the companies. They were inked by Duffy Vohland and they only made 100 copies.