• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown Chinese Comic Book - Anyone?

27 posts in this topic

From the context of the collection, I'm guessing this book dates about 1953, printed in Hong Kong by the The Asia Press Ltd. Anyone know anything about this book? It's got an interesting (graphical) story plot - guns and knives, guys tied up, woman in distress, etc.

hk1as.jpg

hk1bs.jpg

And here is it's little brother, which has absolutely no information (in English) at all, but has a somewhat surreal cover and a heavy (graphical) propaganda message which ends up with two people being tied up and shot in the back in the very last panel:

hk2as.jpg

hk2bs.jpg

And here is it's little brother, which has absolutely no information (in English) at all, but has a somewhat surreal cover and a heavy (graphical) propaganda message which ends up with two people being tied up and shot in the back in the very last panel:

hk2as.jpg

Looks like Transplants avatar pic, Mr. X

MrX2.jpg

From the context of the collection, I'm guessing this book dates about 1953, printed in Hong Kong by the The Asia Press Ltd. Anyone know anything about this book? It's got an interesting (graphical) story plot - guns and knives, guys tied up, woman in distress, etc.

hk1as.jpg

So I asked a friend of mine who is from Guangzhou, China and although there is a little language barrier as she doesn’t speak English very well and my Chinese is nonexistent … here is what she says the cover says:

Top writing is “Bad day on a little boat”

Bottom writing is “published by Asian Press Limited”

She says the book looks Cantonese as it is not traditional Mandarin for sure.

hk1as.jpg

hk1bs.jpg

This one is a story or legend of a single boat that has an accident (and blood is spilled).

Its from "The Won-Ton Incident" Restaurant.

The menu is on the back.

We have a couple in Footscray, here in Melbourne.

They are only aged-looking and are for customers to read whilst waiting for their take-away.

Honest.

The menu is on the back.

They are only aged-looking and are for customers to read whilst waiting for their take-away.

Honest.

Not to hijack the thread, but when I had my shop, a guy came in trying to sell what he claimed was an original newspaper from the day after Pancho Villa led some 1500 banditos on a raid of a town in New Mexico. Claimed it had been passed down several generations. It looked too nice to be 70 something years old so I asked if I could take it out of the yellowing plastic bag. He agreed and when I opened it, it was a menu that was only a few years old. The guys story changed rather quickly.

The menu is on the back.

Honest.

Thanks, but if you're not legging my pull (down-under joke) :grin: and with all due respect (and a little research) they are not contemporary.

The books were in a collection I bought last year that had a very narrow time range. I have no reason to doubt their shared provenance.

So I asked a friend of mine who is from Guangzhou, China and although there is a little language barrier as she doesn’t speak English very well and my Chinese is nonexistent … here is what she says the cover says:

Top writing is “Bad day on a little boat”

Bottom writing is “published by Asian Press Limited”

She says the book looks Cantonese as it is not traditional Mandarin for sure.

Thanks! Another reason I love this place. :applause:

The menu is on the back.

Honest.

Thanks, but if you're not legging my pull (down-under joke) :grin: and with all due respect (and a little research) they are not contemporary.

The books were in a collection I bought last year that had a very narrow time range. I have no reason to doubt their shared provenance.

:sorry:

The menu is on the back.

Honest.

I’m not disparaging you at all Andy but I think you could possibly be wrong.

I had not showed the back of this book to my Chinese friend but I just did and she said it is an advertisement from the company (Asia Press Limited) that printed the book. The back cover is a list of the other books available and their associated prices.

the one with boat cover should translate:

a tale of spilling blood on boat

back cover is the name of the company, their phone number and all the books they published and price.

the book is made in HongKong. 

the publisher and artist is long gone. Googled , nothing. 

the price for your book is 0.60 back then, today avrage of new book is price at 20-40.  if you post some other page, there maybe the year some where.

the print is not in simplfier chinese, that's what they use in hongkong.

The menu is on the back.

Honest.

I’m not disparaging you at all Andy but I think you could possibly be wrong.

I had not showed the back of this book to my Chinese friend but I just did and she said it is an advertisement from the company (Asia Press Limited) that printed the book. The back cover is a list of the other books available and their associated prices.

I was kidding guys!

Won-Ton is a type of chinese dish! lol (thumbs u