• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Joe Kubert great ??

137 posts in this topic

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

I'd add Tarzan to Hawkman and the war comics as being his really good stuff. Fortunately, that's the bulk of what he did.

:)

Yep his Tarzan and Hawkman are peerless and I include Hogarth in that comparison.

I was thinking that as well. As a reference for figure work I prefer Kubert's style over Hogarth's.

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

I'd add Tarzan to Hawkman and the war comics as being his really good stuff. Fortunately, that's the bulk of what he did.

:)

Yep his Tarzan and Hawkman are peerless and I include Hogarth in that comparison.

I was thinking that as well. As a reference for figure work I prefer Kubert's style over Hogarth's.

kubertlearntodrawtarzan.jpg

The point I am making is that Kubert still drew beautifully in the same style he always did. even when he was 70 (plus).

I disagree slightly. Joe did lose a little bit. It was no where near as pronounced as Neal's dropoff but it was there.

Is it a dropoff or is it an artist who's been a pro for close to 50 years developing and changing over the course of time and you not liking the direction he went?

I think it could be both. Look at Frank Miller. His stuff is very hard to look at right now. Then compare it to the work he was doing on Daredevil in the 80's.

I realize that artist's styles will evolve but that doesn't mean it's better. Neal's 70s stuff is at the peak of his ability. it's beautiful to look at. His recent stuff not so much

Better is just an opinion. I prefer a lot of Neal's older work myself, but I have massive respect for any artist who's been doing it for as long as he has and is willing to try different things in his work even if some of those experiments may not make all the fans happy.

Of course it's an opinion. :facepalm: That's what we do here, offer opinions. It doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong, or vice versa.

By the way, do you know Neal's recent style is an experiment or evolution, instead of diminishing skills?

If you look at his progression from the time he started in the biz I think it's safe to assume that it's evolution. Some artists reach a point in their work where they find a lot of stuff that works for them and then they stay in that zone for years and don't evolve much...a lot of the initial Image artists come to mind.

An example of someone who's evolved but has retained his popularity is George Perez...and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Have to agree. Neal Adams art used to be so clean , it amazed me. Now I feel like he's old, tired and doesn't love that he's still drawing, same goes for frank miller. Adam's x men books are god awful . Even though joe liberty was just inking nite owl It's ten times better than Adams.

I love Joe Kubert's work. He and Russ Heath alternate as my all time faves, depending on my mood.

I could write pages on different stories or covers that he did that I love... the thing I enjoyed most was that you could tell that Joe Kubert really loved to draw. He put everything into it. And he did that right up until the last line he drew.

About a decade ago, I did an hour-long phone interview with Joe. One day I'll transcribe it.... but the thing I can't transcribe was how he talked about the work. He loved to talk about art, and the artists who worked for him. It was a real joy for him... which was a big part of the reason he made comics such a joy for all of us.

Shep

I love Joe Kubert's work. He and Russ Heath alternate as my all time faves, depending on my mood.

I could write pages on different stories or covers that he did that I love... the thing I enjoyed most was that you could tell that Joe Kubert really loved to draw. He put everything into it. And he did that right up until the last line he drew.

About a decade ago, I did an hour-long phone interview with Joe. One day I'll transcribe it.... but the thing I can't transcribe was how he talked about the work. He loved to talk about art, and the artists who worked for him. It was a real joy for him... which was a big part of the reason he made comics such a joy for all of us.

Shep

Very cool. I'd love to read it if you ever do get it on paper :applause: