• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

if you're only going to buy comics with no variants, you're going to save a ton of money in the coming months.

My thoughts exactly. I plan to put that money toward OA instead of the manufactured collectibles the publishers are producing.

i dont think having an RRP of a book that was on the cover of previews should surprise people. Also, if it really does only launch with two variants, thats pretty impressive.

Hickman said he didnt plan any variants, you have a store variant that would have solicited it themselves, and one from Image (RRP). Hickman didnt introduce either variant, but flipping and speculating doesnt matter at all to Image or Creators

if people offer to add to the print run and get more eyes on the book, no one is going to say no.

54k print run!

Thats me cancelling my midtown order right now.

Screw that.

I'm all in anyway for the best comic of the year. - out soon.

Those in the 'circle' know which one.....

We will tell you lurkers after release day......

It's the internet! There are no circles. The formula isn't a secret anymore, and people will figure out whatever book you're talking about and push it past 20K orders. Especially if it's an Image book.

I just think we've passed the lazy money making days of finding diamonds in the rough because people hadn't caught on or weren't speaking about them. The book was on the cover of Previews and has a no-brainer plot line-- not sure why it's a surprise? There are other boards like CGC where people are talking about this book, too. It's not just us, guys.

54k print run!

Screw that.

Do you feel special now............ :whistle:

While this large of a print run (Hickman actually says that comic stores bought a "" load) is anything but ideal. East of West's success is going to hang on the demand to surpass this initial supply. Hickman carries a large readership from Avengers and FF, some of which will take a looksies at EoW. I think Hickman's name and rep brings 40k-50k readers to check out the book. I was listening to an interview with Sean Gordon Murphy, and he was saying the big name writers on the premier Marvel/DC books bring an instant 50k readership regardless of the topic of the new book. He was referring to Scott Snyder and The Wake, but I think that applies to Hickman also.

Then I think the story strikes a universal cord where most of us have felt that we were on the verge of the end of our economic, political, social, and/or actual World as we've known it for the last five years. Plus, it is a love story at the end of the World and a sci-fi western, and those usually do well. So I the story concept draws in others that aren't flys to the Hickman light.

If the story is as strong as most on the Board think it is, or at least hope for, EoW will avoid the dollar bin. Maybe I am too optimistic. But that is my hope. I invested big in Saga last year when the Boards was saying similar things about a large print run. I also invested big in Clone, so by batting average is not 1.000.

54k print run!

Screw that.

I wish there was a speculation-specific board for these gems.

Can we talk about the actual book? The preview was cool. I was dying for something about the book. Still lots of mystery around it, and there really haven't been too many pre-launch interviews around the title.

54k print run!

Screw that.

lol:foryou:

Thanks Kayak for the welcome. I have been lurking for awhile and learning as I am a little over a year into reading comics and also investing in them. I think there are a number of smart and insightful people on this board. The ItsJustRyan type of posters who are respectful and knowledgeable kept me coming back to this board over others. There is some inane crazy chatter in here, but you get that anywhere.

Anyways, thanks to all the boardies that educated me last year on print runs, slabbing, ongoing vs. mini, online preorder discounts, etc. on all the basics.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

54k print run!

Holy cow, is this for real?

The only person who has said that is Mashed Potatoes. I'm not sure if anybody can back that up (shrug)

I listened to the same interview and Hickman definitely said the print run is 3x anything he's ever done with Image. Not a surprise given the cover of previews and those who are speculating heavily on the title.

54k print run!

The only person who has said that is Mashed Potatoes. I'm not sure if anybody can back that up (shrug)

I listened to the same interview and Hickman definitely said the print run is 3x anything he's ever done with Image. Not a surprise given the cover of previews and those who are speculating heavily on the title.

But does that mean 54k? He could have just said 3x without meaning actual numbers.

54k print run!

But does that mean 54k? He could have just said 3x without meaning actual numbers.

Either way that sounds like at least 45k.

54k print run!

Either way that sounds like at least 45k.

Well, I'm only in for 5 copies and one for me to keep. So I'm not sweating the print run. It's all these people ordering a crazy amount who is going to regret it.

I'm really pulling for Pretty Deadly. Looks great, but not much beyond what was said at SDCC.

(worship) YES!!!

I am excited to read the new comics in the following order:

1. Sex Criminals

2. East of West

3. The Wake

4. Sandman

5. Pretty Deadly

6. Trillium

7. Lazarus

8. Fabulous Killjoys

Not interested in Jupiter's Legacy or The Bounce.