• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Because its got - "I lied and am actually going to put out 10 variants"

Bedlam but worse.

Image - what are you doing?

I don't think it's worse than bedlam, if just because of the content...not everyone is into a comic about a serial killer (bedlam)..limited market for that type of comic..this one has more of a Saga/Sixth Gun like appeal.

Edited by krighton

I don't think it's worse than bedlam, if just because of the content...not everyone is into a comic about a serial killer (bedlam)..limited market for that type of comic..this one has more of a Saga/Sixth Gun like appeal.

Well said.... If it falls somewhere between Bedlam and Saga I'll be all :grin:

It's working for Image even if we complain because we still buy them. And people still buy them in the secondary market. Even look at next month's #1 and they have multiple covers already.

Thats not what I mean K and you know that mate.

It started as a 'no variant' book.

Now look.

Theres only the Virus left to come and its associated groupies - *POW* - 10 variants for issue #1.

To survive it will have to be better than Bedlam, and tbh, that is a very big ask.

I think we should alway (always) assume there is going to be a variant.

Variants create buzz, promote collecting, and help sales.

Why wouldn't a publisher want a variant? They don't give a flip about secondary markets, nor should they care. There job is to create and sale comics for primary markets.

Bedlam but worse.

Bedlam:

--------------

NYCC

NYCC Sketch

Forbidden Planet

Detroit Fanfare

Third Eye

Phantom

Regular

2nd Printing

East Of West:

----------------------

RRP

Forbidden Planet

Ghost

Regular

East of West has one shop variant, one "shop group" variant, and one official variant which is only available from image's shindig. I think it has a long way to go to be anything like Bedlam.

Hickman said he wasnt planning any variants, and in his defense, the ones that have been made have all been made by "other" people.

I'd be MORE scared off EoW by it being on the cover of Previews and multiple dudes bragging in the thread about buying 100, than I would be by the variants. It's the overabundance of FIRST PRINTINGS that has held Bedlam back, not the variants imo. Considering 1st prints are still for sale at mycomicshop and midtown, Bedlam clearly didnt "need" a second printing, and the first printing was massively inflated by speculators.

That's what I would fear with EoW, but if the story is good, and lots of shops have it, then you could end up with a Saga type book. High print run, but no HUGE drop off in sales to issue #2. Variants arent going to make or break EoW, ultimately it will be quality.

my two pennies.

Bedlam but worse.

Bedlam:

--------------

NYCC

NYCC Sketch

Forbidden Planet

Detroit Fanfare

Third Eye

Phantom

Regular

2nd Printing

East Of West:

----------------------

RRP

Forbidden Planet

Ghost

Regular

East of West has one shop variant, one "shop group" variant, and one official variant which is only available from image's shindig. I think it has a long way to go to be anything like Bedlam.

Hickman said he wasnt planning any variants, and in his defense, the ones that have been made have all been made by "other" people.

I'd be MORE scared off EoW by it being on the cover of Previews and multiple dudes bragging in the thread about buying 100, than I would be by the variants. It's the overabundance of FIRST PRINTINGS that has held Bedlam back, not the variants imo. Considering 1st prints are still for sale at mycomicshop and midtown, Bedlam clearly didnt "need" a second printing, and the first printing was massively inflated by speculators.

That's what I would fear with EoW, but if the story is good, and lots of shops have it, then you could end up with a Saga type book. High print run, but no HUGE drop off in sales to issue #2. Variants arent going to make or break EoW, ultimately it will be quality.

my two pennies.

Lets see the numbers in a couple of weeks.

Or do you know a virus isn't planned?

Genuine question.

Because if one is, then all the other stores in the virus group will be adding to the total.

Then there are the upcoming Cons....

2c also

Sorry, forgot to add that Stephenson said that ALL non Image variants are approved by Image.

Anyhow...moving on.

Why wouldn't a publisher want a variant? They don't give a flip about secondary markets, nor should they care. There job is to create and sale comics for primary markets.

I agree totally Ryan, It looks like it might come full circle again with all these variants.....just waiting for all the foil covers and bagged ones with a card or something inside lol

I agree totally Ryan, It looks like it might come full circle again with all these variants.....just waiting for all the foil covers and bagged ones with a card or something inside lol

Plus sniff-o-covers!

Plus sniff-o-covers!

Maybe some GFTales with a sniff in the right spot :idea: