• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Finally got around to reading #1-2, and glad I did. It would be good if Joe Casey could read these books and get an idea of how to set up a story so the first issue draws you in and makes you NEED to read the second. I read Bounce a few days ago and got a very "meh" feeling from it, much like I did with his other book Sex. But Hickman knows how to tell a story and suck a reader in. Can't wait for #3!

Finally got around to reading #1-2, and glad I did. It would be good if Joe Casey could read these books and get an idea of how to set up a story so the first issue draws you in and makes you NEED to read the second. I read Bounce a few days ago and got a very "meh" feeling from it, much like I did with his other book Sex. But Hickman knows how to tell a story and suck a reader in. Can't wait for #3!

Wow, do I agree 100% with this! I don't even understand the purpose of bounce. East of West is terrific though. Come on number 3!

Strangely, I feel quite ambivalent about East of West. I am a HUGE Hickman fan, and picked the series up on that basis, but the first couple of issues have left me a little cold. Planning to stick with it for a few more, but I can see myself dropping this.

Wow, do I agree 100% with this! I don't even understand the purpose of bounce. East of West is terrific though. Come on number 3!

Double Quoted for Truth.

I picked up my copy of the RRP over the weekend at a little over a hundo for a 9.2 ish. Pondering the "mechanical pencil eraser trick" to get rid of some ink rub... Damn you Hickman with your stark white covers!!! :ohnoez:

:gossip: Let me know if you're successful using a kneaded eraser. I'm still in the market for a copy; the ink rub issue I keep seeing has held me back from making a purchase.

Yeah, I haven't read up enough on it to effectively make the call whether I want to try it out or not yet. Just a thought I had...

Is a KNEADED the way to go ya think?

Wouldn't that scruff away at the page or rub away the outside surface of he cover?

A kneaded eraser would be a safer option over a mechanical pencil eraser. Also, the ink stains are on the back cover, which is white, so there's nothing to rub off but the stains.

Also, I assume he wouldn't rub the eraser on the cover madly like he's trying to start a fire, because that would def scruff the page no matter what he used.

Strangely, I feel quite ambivalent about East of West. I am a HUGE Hickman fan, and picked the series up on that basis, but the first couple of issues have left me a little cold. Planning to stick with it for a few more, but I can see myself dropping this.

Honestly, this sounds like me.

I can see a lot of potential and a lot of intelligence at work, but it hasn't hit me at that gut level just yet. Nevertheless I'll probably give it another issue or two.

Wouldn't that scruff away at the page or rub away the outside surface of he cover?

A kneaded eraser would be a safer option over a mechanical pencil eraser. Also, the ink stains are on the back cover, which is white, so there's nothing to rub off but the stains.

Also, I assume he wouldn't rub the eraser on the cover madly like he's trying to start a fire, because that would def scruff the page no matter what he used.

Believe me - I'm looking into all the options very cautiously. Not about to start rubbing like mad without all the info I can get :P And even if I do attempt it - it will be VERY carefully. There is a small amount of light rub on the front near the staple (thin area probably a quarter inch in length), and a very minimal amount on back - but nothing like the infamous ebay copy. Probably not even enough to worry too much about, but I'm toying with the idea of testing a small spot LIGHTLY to see the effects.

I will likely attempt on an old reader copy of Pax Romana and see how that works first.

i am wondering if this book is being supported by these boards lol

I think its a good title. Then again what do I know. :roflmao:

Haha, really? I'm so suprised by the disinterest. Different opinions and all. This one sucked me in and the only thing that pisses me off is the fact that I have to wait a month to find out what's next.

Edited by Mr. Hog

i am wondering if this book is being supported by these boards lol

I think its a good title. Then again what do I know. :roflmao:

Haha, really? I'm so suprised by the disinterest. Different opinions and all. This one sucked me in and the only thing that pisses me off is the fact that I have to wait a month to find out what's next.

I was teasing yeah I like EOW. Think issue 3 will continue gaining readership. :headbang:

Edited by natevegas