• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

i just want to see more RRP Blues listed on eBay! :D

+1 on this!

Hell I'd settle to see more raws pop up.

Question about the raws with printing defects. How much does this impact the grade? I've seen a couple gnarly print rolls, but just not sure what those would grade out at otherwise in great shape.

East of west has eisner nomination written all over it. Especially after saga dominated last year. I think sandman overture is the only real competitor I've seen this year. (I'm assuming its amazing because its gaiman and J H williams) And being that its a prequel to an already existing eisner winning series, I feel like the judges would lean towards a new book instead of a prequel.

Edited by Meta4

Its hard to say, but I think the more gnarly looking ink stains would definately get graded down. The very minor and faint ink stains seem to be treated as a printing defect, rather than damage. For example, something like this would most certainly be graded down, I'm guessing 9.2:

http://i.imgur.com/P6v9ZO9.jpg

While there are slabbed 9.8's with very minor ink markings, light pencil grey in color usually up by the top staple, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/WDrgRpX.jpg

I had one copy with a very faint pecnil grey roller line that went across the book by the top staple, like in the first picture, but none of the other dark ink stains. I'm curious how that will be treated, as its the same color as minor ink stains on already slabbed 9.8's, but stretches across the back cover as opposed to just being a smudge by the top staple.

Edited by Meta4

Also, I don't see what other book can challenge EofW for an Eisner for best new series. Can anyone list any 3-4 books of 2013 that can challenge EofW? I really can't think of any.

Pretty Deadly? lol

What are the rules for being nominated for the best "new" comic (other than being new)? Can it be a mini or maxi? They used to have a "best limited series" nom, but not anymore?

Trillium challenges East of West imo.

It's kinda weird, I haven't noticed it on the regular covers that I have and have seen, but it keeps coming up with the RRP's. As if they weren't hard enough to come by anyway... At least the ones I've seen with ink rub don't have it on the front cover

Trillium will be long done by then

Completely irrelevant since it's still a new book of 2013. S'why I asked if minis could be nommed, since there wasn't a category for best limited series last year. So where does a nom for Trillium go?

Im curious as to how many copies have the ink stains. I've seen a handful of them on ebay, but with so few copies actually for sale, its tough to know what percentage of the print run was effected. Between the ink stains and shipping damage, those 9.8's are going to be rare.

I'd like to see any pictures of 9.8s that have any kind of ink stains on the back to see what is allowed as printing error.

My RRP has has some very faint marks on the back. I'll get a picture tomorrow if I can be bothered.

Funny exchange lol

This years new series have been very good overall. I'm guessing they will have 5 nominations for each category and I can't get to just 5 on my own. I like

East of West, hands down my favorite book out right now.

Five Ghosts, got off to a fantastic start,which was meant to be a mini and ended up ongoing for which I'm thankful.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth, see Five Ghosts except funniest book in years imho

Trillium, it is great when a writer is also the artist. Very pure book.

The Wake, I can't put my finger on it but this book reminds me of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Maybe because it so different and to me there are similarities in the tone of the story.

Injustice Gods Among Us, DC without all of the restraints of history.

Superior Spider-man, Marvel without all of the restraints of Peter Parker ( good and bad )

Rat Queens, the second most fun book of the year but with only 2 issues out, it is difficult to accurately guess how good this is going to be long term. I think it will be great.

Letter 44, only 1 issue but wow what a start and everybody should try it because it is only a buck!

Jupiter's Legacy, this would probably get my vote for best of the year if it came out monthly. It has definitely been my most memorable read of the year.

Infinity, I like the story and the art a bunch. The introduction of a new, potentially very important character should at least get people to take a look.

Stars Wars by Wood, this series was and is as good as a Star Wars comic can be imho.

Lazarus, Rucka and Lark back together with a really neat idea.

Other new stuff that I thought was worth reading,

Helheim, Superman Unchained, Polarity, Snapshot, Uber, Ghosted, Sheltered, Velvet, and I'm sure I'm leaving off something that will make feel bad for leaving it out.

:sumo: East of West wins my vote :sumo:

Edited by The Authority