• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Just read issues 1-5. I'm afraid I didn't quite like it (I do like TMP).

I just didn't feel what the story was about. Three of the four horsemen are kids, Death has gone nomadic, with two invincible sidekicks. They lay waste to pseudo-China (which you wouldn't really feel posed much of a threat anyway) and he finally got back to his wife.

Why? :(

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but it kind of echoes my feelings about the book so far. (Disclaimer, I've read EoW #1-4 only, didn't get to #5 yet.)

There's tremendous talent in the plotting, craft in the setup, the art is a pleasure to look at and the covers are cool. Even so, I'm kinda on the fence as to continuing and can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's that the characters didn't grab me emotionally, or only grabbed me in fits and spurts, compared to a title like Saga which has more warmth and dark humor to it.

Now I look forward to being told that I should go read My Little Pony. :grin:

I get that sentiment. It's different than what I infer from the OP. He seemed to not understand what was going on in the plot. While it can be difficult to put the pieces all together, they are there. It just requires a little more work and recall than some books. Personally, I love that and it helps me get some re-read value out of the book.

If EoW isn't your cup of tea, that's cool. It's not for everyone. Saga is a much warmer book. EoW is much more serious, which makes sense given the subject matter.

+1 every one is entitled to there own opinion regardless of the backlash with more time i will assume people will truly begin to see what is so special about this book later in the series when more can be understood. #mylittlepony lol

My sentiment was not one of misunderstanding, I think my summation of the EoW story is correct. I just can't appreciate it, I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this as this is the EoW thread, but I'm just being honest about it. Like I said, I love Manhattan, God is Dead is ugly, Infinity is lukewarm...so Hickman is a hit and miss for me. Similar to Point Five's sentiment, none of the characters were relatable for me. Death's sidekick were invincible, so they can do pretty much anything, no threat was present to the protagonist. Perhaps, the story will develop in the second arc, I don't know.

Death's sidekicks are not invincible and that much was stated when he told the 2 of them they couldn't get near the president or at least that's how I interpreted that conversation. I don't even think Death himself is invincible based on the flashbacks and the fact that the other 3 horsemen thought he would or should show up when they did in issue #1. I think you will see that every character in EOW has something or someone they fear. That is just a guess at this point but allies seem very important to each faction.

Just read issues 1-5. I'm afraid I didn't quite like it (I do like TMP).

I just didn't feel what the story was about. Three of the four horsemen are kids, Death has gone nomadic, with two invincible sidekicks. They lay waste to pseudo-China (which you wouldn't really feel posed much of a threat anyway) and he finally got back to his wife.

Why? :(

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but it kind of echoes my feelings about the book so far. (Disclaimer, I've read EoW #1-4 only, didn't get to #5 yet.)

There's tremendous talent in the plotting, craft in the setup, the art is a pleasure to look at and the covers are cool. Even so, I'm kinda on the fence as to continuing and can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's that the characters didn't grab me emotionally, or only grabbed me in fits and spurts, compared to a title like Saga which has more warmth and dark humor to it.

Now I look forward to being told that I should go read My Little Pony. :grin:

I get that sentiment. It's different than what I infer from the OP. He seemed to not understand what was going on in the plot. While it can be difficult to put the pieces all together, they are there. It just requires a little more work and recall than some books. Personally, I love that and it helps me get some re-read value out of the book.

If EoW isn't your cup of tea, that's cool. It's not for everyone. Saga is a much warmer book. EoW is much more serious, which makes sense given the subject matter.

+1 every one is entitled to there own opinion regardless of the backlash with more time i will assume people will truly begin to see what is so special about this book later in the series when more can be understood. #mylittlepony lol

My sentiment was not one of misunderstanding, I think my summation of the EoW story is correct. I just can't appreciate it, I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this as this is the EoW thread, but I'm just being honest about it. Like I said, I love Manhattan, God is Dead is ugly, Infinity is lukewarm...so Hickman is a hit and miss for me. Similar to Point Five's sentiment, none of the characters were relatable for me. Death's sidekick were invincible, so they can do pretty much anything, no threat was present to the protagonist. Perhaps, the story will develop in the second arc, I don't know.

Death's sidekicks are not invincible and that much was stated when he told the 2 of them they couldn't get near the president or at least that's how I interpreted that conversation. I don't even think Death himself is invincible based on the flashbacks and the fact that the other 3 horsemen thought he would or should show up when they did in issue #1. I think you will see that every character in EOW has something or someone they fear. That is just a guess at this point but allies seem very important to each faction.

Nods, and based on missing that I don't believe a careful reading was given to the 4 books that were stated to be read. Plus, Issue 5 is really the book that really gives cohesion to the series.

Many time I find when people say they don't like a book it appears to have been skimmed rather than reading every panel. I have been guilty of that before myself, but then again I won't openly criticize a book if I have only skimmed it. It wouldn't be fair.

I initially only skimmed 5 ghosts and almost didn't get into it, but picked it up again and gave it a closer reading and became hooked and one of its biggest fans.

Issue 7 was damn good and answers some questions that I had. I love how they just transition into the backdrop of the characters and story. Damn this title is insanely awesome! :cloud9:

I really enjoyed this issue.

I loved the panel of Death and the Witches approaching the lake, as well as the splash page in the flashback. Ezra's backstory was top notch.

Ladies and gentlemen, this book keeps on surprising. I read the 3 page preview on CBR and it didn't make sense and kind of made one of the horsemen appear a little weak. A day later and I read #7 and it makes perfect sense and demonstrates loyalty and sacrifice from those I would never have expected to be the ones to demonstrate it.

I'm consumed by the possibilities that this story and mainly it's characters present with each new issue. I can see an entire universe, or at least a planet being built with limitless possibilities. They are adding layers to the characters in each issue while introducing new people/creatures on a regular basis. They all seem to follow a preordained destiny but I have a feeling some intend to create their own future.

Ladies and gentlemen, this book keeps on surprising. I read the 3 page preview on CBR and it didn't make sense and kind of made one of the horsemen appear a little weak. A day later and I read #7 and it makes perfect sense and demonstrates loyalty and sacrifice from those I would never have expected to be the ones to demonstrate it.

I'm consumed by the possibilities that this story and mainly it's characters present with each new issue. I can see an entire universe, or at least a planet being built with limitless possibilities. They are adding layers to the characters in each issue while introducing new people/creatures on a regular basis. They all seem to follow a preordained destiny but I have a feeling some intend to create their own future.

:applause:

Just finished #7 myself. Awesome issue. Not as much action as those in the past, but revealed several layers of mythology that is starting to really round this world out. I love the mixture of futuristic and ancient architechture, landscapes, and creatures/spirits. It also made me realize that if the horsemen change gender each time they are ressurected, that it may have played into death defecting.( I.E. he fell in love with xiao lian, a woman, so wanted to remain male.)

Loved the lake scene, really showed that although there are signs of the future everywhere, there are ancient forces at work here. East of west is very quickly surpassing saga as my new favorite series.