• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Hickman's story telling in EoW is second to none for me right now. As TA said above, he is adding layer upon layer for multiple characters and creating a rich world that is starting to look like there could be limitless possibilities.

After reading 7 today, I went back and reread 1-6 for I believe the 3rd time.

I think thats one of the things that ai love so much about this series, it takes several readings to piece together all the pices that hickmans leaving us. I dont feel like I had a complete grasp of what was going on until the third read through the series. Each time you notice something else that ties it all together. Like the fact that "the message" was prophecied in pieces from three different people from warring nations. So its the only common ground that these nations have, The prophecy of their own destruction.

I still prefer Saga, but only slightly, and because you get a little bit of everything with it. I'm in love with BKV's writing as a whole and have become a huge fan of Staples. And I'm a sucker for a good LetterCol. EoW continues to get stronger as the pieces fall into place and is utterly epic and grandiose in scale. Neck and neck for me. I just feel lucky I get to read two truly great titles.

Hickman's story telling in EoW is second to none for me right now. As TA said above, he is adding layer upon layer for multiple characters and creating a rich world that is starting to look like there could be limitless possibilities.

After reading 7 today, I went back and reread 1-6 for I believe the 3rd time.

I like books you can read and enjoy more than once. The Watchmen, The Authority/Stormwatch, the Dark Knight, Sin City, and a few more that I've worn out in trades over the years. This is looking like 1 of those to me.

For me it is the best comic going. Just personal preference maybe but I think it is superior to Saga. Todd the Ugliest is the only other comic I enjoy as much but for completely different reasons. Five Ghosts is my guilty pleasure. Just a pot full of fun.

I feel the same way. Saga has a bit more humorous, playful feeling to it, east of west feels serious. I suppose being about the end of the world will do that to a story. I also feel like east of west has a few more layers to peel back to understand the story fully, which I love. Saga has some hidden developments, like prince robots relationship with gale, but east of west is given to us in pieces, its not until you put the puzzle together that it really starts taking shape.

last few pages were a bit confusing, i'll have to reread it.....having a hard time telling who's who in regards to the bad guys.

Actually it puts a lot of things in perspective regarding Ezra Orion. His continual need to become what his 'mother' wants of him.. his fusing with the beast has made him an agent of the end times.

Also realize that there is a huge time gap between the 3rd to last page and the 2nd to last page.

Edited by ZaCrew