• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your death covers

56 posts in this topic

Nowadays heroes and even villains get killed off with regularity, but back in the Silver Age it was a rarity and generally a hoax when featured on the cover by DC. Still it's a pretty cool sub-genre and I can't think of any from the Golden Age - even though a couple minor heroes did die, I can't recall any cover mentions. I don't have any, but I'd love to see a collection of posts of covers where the hero is supposedly dead.

Professor X died once or twice. Nice 12 cent black cover too on one of them.

Ed

Sorry it's not high-grade, but here's one:

IMG_zps14879b00.jpg

I don't believe this thread is exclusively for HG books; unless otherwise noted, I don't think any thread should be. That's a nice copy you have there. Need to find myself one.

SLR

A friend pointed out to me that as DC moved into the 1970s, their covers often depicted exactly what would have happened if the villain's plan had worked perfectly...even if that never actually occurred in the comic. JLA #106 had such a cover, with the entire Justice League dead, but of course, that doesn't happen.

Couple DC's. Probably early Bronze more than Silver but fits the theme. I think there's a later 60s 12 cent Aquaman IIRC where he's dead washed up on shore and where his girl was killed, or was it aqualad?

scan0575.jpg

scan0945.jpg

scan0942.jpg

scan0947.jpg

scan0957.jpg

scan0963.jpg

Great selection. 15¢ covers are arguably late silver ( but that's another thread), and though I'd put 20¢ covers firmly in the Bronze age, I see no reason to be super strict on the cutoff.