• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What impact will the payroll tax hike have on your spending?

30 posts in this topic

I'm going to try and spend 10% more this year, so I can be a good citizen and make up for the 5 people on this thread who will spend 10% less (2% each).

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping ...(I saw that on some t-shirt)

Seriously, it will have no impact...

I'm going to try and spend 10% more this year, so I can be a good citizen and make up for the 5 people on this thread who will spend 10% less (2% each).

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping ...(I saw that on some t-shirt)

Seriously, it will have no impact...

Nice! Keep that spending going!

The average low information voter isn't as intuitive..

What about us no information non-voters? We have no idea what will happen to us.

I'm gonna spend money like it's going out of style!

The payroll tax increase plus other increases in withholding will be reducing my monthly take home by a little over 2.25%.

Keeping one kid in college and another in braces and other necessary kid expenses has already squeezed our budget, but I think any decreases in spending will be minimal.

i know it feels like a tax hike, but let's be honest, it was a tax holiday many of us got used to. problem is i suspect my employer felt more comfortable reducing our pay by 2.5% because we were getting the tax holiday and I'm not sure they're giving it back any time soon.

it is about $80 out of my bi-weekly paycheck. and about the same out of my wife's, so $80 a week. so, given that we rarely have anything leftover/extra $-wise, it looks like the 3-4 times a week we order in sushi/chinese or pick up pizza/KFC might be over and I need to have the energy to cook dinner every night. We'll probably eat out once a week with the kids on the weekend still like we usually do and try not to spend too much by going to a diner or chinese or whatever.

plus I will probably buy lunch a little less, brown bag it from home, though with a lot of good $5 lunch options around me I don't save that much brown bagging it as a cheap-to-make ham and cheese sandwhich or something doesn't cut it for me hunger-wise.

i already stopped buying coffee and soda at work a long time ago.

and I will be saying NO to my 7 year old more when he bugs me for stuff.

I will probably be a little more cautious with buying comics, but generally speaking, my thought process on buying comics is that I should be able to sell them for more than I paid with a few exceptions like I REALLY want to read something (and then it is usually a tpb anyway). of course, few get sold right now as i seem to have trouble getting off my arse and listing anything.

but I've already cut out rack comics that aren't speculative anyway. I stopped buying walking dead after 100. I figure the subsequent issues will be a little overordered and I will eventually be able to get slightly dinged copies out of $1 boxes.

so anyway, given that we're not ordering in dinner I need to go make it: chicken, cauliflower, chick pea in korma sauce over coconut milk infused rice -- total cost ---about $6 with leftovers that should be good for 1-2 lunches. need to make up for the $40 we spent on a pretty lousy brunch with the kids today! but heck, it was a treat for the 7 year old who spent the day in little league tryouts and practice today.

Costing me about $60 per pay period, so not a major hit....but the budget is already tight, so I expect I'll run another sales thread or two to pick up the slack on my buying habits.

Now if the truck just holds out for a few months, lol

Costing me about $60 per pay period, so not a major hit....but the budget is already tight, so I expect I'll run another sales thread or two to pick up the slack on my buying habits.

Now if the truck just holds out for a few months, lol

yeah, it's the other stuff that gets you, like the $2K or so I am spending on repairing my roof after hurricane sandy (not covered by insurance as it is below my deductable, plus, the damage happened because the roof is old anyway, so it just sped up me needing to spend the money). at least with the tax thing the $2K of pain is spread out over the year, the roofer wants to get paid all at once!