• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Western Picture Stories (1937)

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to get the pictures to load instead of using the links? Thanks.

Hello there. I just picked this book up earlier today and I was wondering if it would be worthy of a submission? I got it along with a couple of other books.

This book lays perfectly flat. Very minor recessed staples. Pencil arrival mark in the 1st 'E' in Western to the 'T' in Picture. Very minor corner wear on the spine. Other corners are cut nice and square. Nice vibrant colors. Very minor rubbing of spine in the center. Just a few tiny stress lines near top staple. The back cover scan did not show what I wanted to show, so I took a photo of the bottom left corner. It appears that something got on the back cover, but it did not penetrate through to the inside back cover. I am not sure how much this would detract from the overall grade. The interior pages are remarkable. I have shown the whiteness level with the Overstreet Whiteness Card. When I first opened this book, the smell of the pages was like heaven. No musty smell, just beautiful old comic book smell.

I have not had anything graded through CGC, and I am sort of wondering what this book would grade? Any help would be appreciated. I have an idea in mind for the grade, but I do not want to sway anyone. Also, for the submission service break downs, what level would this book have to be submitted through? Standard or Express? The book value in NM- is listed at $3200, VF/NM $2259, VF $1318 and FN $618.

Thanks.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/mytfine1/MT07_zpse61fbfec.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/mytfine1/MT08_zps4f002579.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/mytfine1/MT09_zpsfd08422d.jpg

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu179/mytfine1/MT10_zpsd1a3ecad.jpg

Stunning copy. Looks 8.5/9.0, but the back cover spots will likely take it down a hair, though they are small. It would be criminal if CGC graded it any less than an 8.0 from what I can see.

I added image tags to the links for you. If you right click on the image in your library on photobucket there should be a menu for copying (IMG) address, or if you click to full page for a single image, it should be on the right as an option. It might vary depending on what browser you use.

Does anyone know how to get the pictures to load instead of using the links? Thanks.

Hello there. I just picked this book up earlier today and I was wondering if it would be worthy of a submission? I got it along with a couple of other books.

This book lays perfectly flat. Very minor recessed staples. Pencil arrival mark in the 1st 'E' in Western to the 'T' in Picture. Very minor corner wear on the spine. Other corners are cut nice and square. Nice vibrant colors. Very minor rubbing of spine in the center. Just a few tiny stress lines near top staple. The back cover scan did not show what I wanted to show, so I took a photo of the bottom left corner. It appears that something got on the back cover, but it did not penetrate through to the inside back cover. I am not sure how much this would detract from the overall grade. The interior pages are remarkable. I have shown the whiteness level with the Overstreet Whiteness Card. When I first opened this book, the smell of the pages was like heaven. No musty smell, just beautiful old comic book smell.

I have not had anything graded through CGC, and I am sort of wondering what this book would grade? Any help would be appreciated. I have an idea in mind for the grade, but I do not want to sway anyone. Also, for the submission service break downs, what level would this book have to be submitted through? Standard or Express? The book value in NM- is listed at $3200, VF/NM $2259, VF $1318 and FN $618.

Thanks.

MT07_zpse61fbfec.jpg

MT08_zps4f002579.jpg

MT09_zpsfd08422d.jpg

MT10_zpsd1a3ecad.jpg

I don't think they are stains on the back - I think that silverfish have eaten the surface layer of the paper.

I don't have any experience of how CGC treats such things, so can't say anything other than add that it's a lovely book.

Thanks everyone for the responses. As for silverfish, the cover does not feel that there is anything missing.

Hard to tell from a picture, but it does look more like the book came in contact with some sort of liquid or semi-liquid rather than bug damage, which usually starts at an edge and has a more ragged pattern.