• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official eBay Drank My Milkshake Thread

433 posts in this topic

ok I'm back in the saddle-cancelation accepted, item re listed, apology given.

You have to be very careful with these situations though. This sale was cancelled through no fault of your own so don't let it harm you any more than it should. I know through experience that if you get enough "hits" as a seller you can and will lose your Top Rated Seller Status if enough of these hits accumulate over 1 year's time.

One of the hits eBay tracks as a seller is how many sales transactions you cancel. If it is a cancellation requested by the buyer and you (the seller) initiate the request, just make sure you pick the "Buyer requested the purchase be cancelled" choice in the drop-down menu so you don't take the hit for it.

You may have already known this. I just wanted to point this out in the hope that it might help other eBay sellers avoid the same bad snowball affect I went through with eBay early last year. I lost my Top Rated Seller status for a few months last year when about half of the accumulated hits I had weren't actually my fault but ended up costing me my 20% discount. :mad:

I did not know that but that was the option I chose. My performance level is still above standard.

Is it always better to have the buyer request the cancellation?

I did not know that but that was the option I chose. My performance level is still above standard.

It is however I find many of them do not understand how to process a cancellation (or at least say they don't). I've had a few that had to be cancelled after they paid for the item because they figured out they read the offer incorrectly. These are only slightly more painful in terms of getting hit with a 30 cent processing fee from Paypal.

Sometimes it is the buyers fault, sometimes it is the seller (finding an error in your listing for example). But it is always better not to have sent the item as that typically costs you a ton more $ and aggravation. For this reason, when I am putting a shipment together, I review the offer and inspect the items to make sure they match that description. I do that because it is sometimes months.between the listing and the sale, I also verify the user isn't a nutjob (feedback) and that the payment is complete ("OK to ship") and includes a deliverable address (learned that one the hard way early on as someone put their e-mail address as their "ship to" addy.

Bottom line-- seller initiated cancels using the "buyer requested" option are essentially the same as ones done directly by the buyer.

It's always better for you as a seller but you also have to be honest. Just last week I had to cancel a sale of a low grade Wonder Woman comic because it was no longer in stock. Why? Because I had forgotten to remove it from eBay after a plumber came to our house for a service call. As he was getting ready to leave, my wife was chatting with him and explained what I did for a living. He came back in the house and ended up buying 3 Wonder Woman comics for his wife. One of them I dug out of my eBay boxes and forgot to remove the listing right then and there. That one was purely my fault so I rightfully have to take the hit for that one.

Update-I just got a paypal payment for the $200. Not through ebay. I have no idea how he sent me a payment without my email address also why he sent $200 when I told him I would accept $150.

I am concerned??

did he get my email address when I accepted his offer and he bought the item initially?

Quick question for the eBay crowd. I had an item listed for $1249.99 OBO and received an offer of $700 which I declined with no counter. I received a message from the individual who sent in the offer asking if $800 would do it and I replied no, I'm firm at this time etc.

The individual hits BIN and pays. I'm happy until I see 4 feedback and 0% below it. Then I look over the address and it's asking me to ship to a restaurant. Not very conforming.

Outside of fully insured with signature confirmation what else can I do to protect myself for a possible scam? Is this the cost of selling on eBay with situations like these or do others cancel a sale in a situation such as this? I'd prefer to not cancel it as I've just reached top rated seller status.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Quick question for the eBay crowd. I had an item listed for $1249.99 OBO and received an offer of $700 which I declined with no counter. I received a message from the individual who sent in the offer asking if $800 would do it and I replied no, I'm firm at this time etc.

The individual hits BIN and pays. I'm happy until I see 4 feedback and 0% below it. Then I look over the address and it's asking me to ship to a restaurant. Not very conforming.

Outside of fully insured with signature confirmation what else can I do to protect myself for a possible scam? Is this the cost of selling on eBay with situations like these or do others cancel a sale in a situation such as this? I'd prefer to not cancel it as I've just reached top rated seller status.

Is the address verified for the account?

Sounds like you will be getting back an empty box when this individual files a claim/return with you. No way would I send it.

Reading about milkshakes made me remembered that I still have my old milkshake machine in a storage box. Mm, now where did I put my old family recipe to mix in a milkshake ? :luhv:

Does anybody else get aggravated when buyers don't leave feedback? I've been selling lower-priced books the past month or so on eBay to build up my seller profile ($15-20 mostly). Through eight transactions, only two buyers have bothered to leave feedback.

I usually leave positive for the buyer right after they pay, and then on the packing slip, I write something like "Thanks for your purchase. Positive feedback has been left..." I also do the same when I purchase books - when I see the comic is in the described condition, arrived safely, etc., I go online and leave feedback the same day. And I get that some people don't get on eBay as often, but it's been weeks since the first of those eight transactions.

It's really frustrating to me.