• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

We're right at the end of this console generation, so most games will drop in price quickly after release at this point.
I hope the PS4 doesn't have a $600 price tag on launch day :ohnoez:

Why buy it as soon as it comes out?

I waited months for a PS3 and when I did buy one it was half the price almost!

Same with games, I buy pre-owned all the time. I'm probably about a year and half behind the current releases :)

We're right at the end of this console generation, so most games will drop in price quickly after release at this point.

Why buy it as soon as it comes out?

I waited months for a PS3 and when I did buy one it was half the price almost!

Same with games, I buy pre-owned all the time. I'm probably about a year and half behind the current releases :)

This is the smartest way to do it, especially if the PS4 will not have backwards compatibility and there will be minimal improvements to graphics this generation. Remember, this is not PS2 to PS3 but just a firm move from 720p/1080i to 1080p. Developers are already screaming about going out of business the next generation, so don't expect anything too wild in terms of graphics as that costs lots and lots of money.

With no BC there is no reason not to to wait for the inevitable price drop and better console revisions.

Word is, it'll be $399.

Word is, it'll be $399.

I guess I'll pick it up in five years when its 199 and I'm done with my ps3 :insane:

With three consoles and two handhelds every generation, I don't know how anyone can possibly keep up with it all.

This is the smartest way to do it, especially if the PS4 will not have backwards compatibility and there will be minimal improvements to graphics this generation. Remember, this is not PS2 to PS3 but just a firm move from 720p/1080i to 1080p. Developers are already screaming about going out of business the next generation, so don't expect anything too wild in terms of graphics as that costs lots and lots of money.

You keep saying this, but we simply don't yet know how much better these games are going to look, as specs don't tell the whole story. The PS2 to PS3 leap was drastic because of HD, but that's also where costs most significantly rose; that's why a lot of studios closed down, or were bought out this gen.

Graphics do cost money, but they also drive the industry (whether they should or not). The developers that made money this generation made A LOT of money, and it's in their best interests to push graphical fidelity as far as the tech allows. Developers who are struggling to hang on may cry foul, but they are not driving the industry.

What rising development costs likely mean is fewer developers, fewer new IPs, and more indie games. The financial heavyweights will continue to push graphics.

Word is, it'll be $399.

I guess I'll pick it up in five years when its 199 and I'm done with my ps3 :insane:

With three consoles and two handhelds every generation, I don't know how anyone can possibly keep up with it all.

I have several years worth of games to get through for both the PS3 and Xbox360 so I will be in the same boat. Then again I have a ten year old son, so I may not make it that long. :facepalm:

I bought my PS3 and 360 in early 2007, so I'm more than ready for new consoles. Sure, I have stacks and stacks of games I haven't gotten to, but I want the new hotness. :popcorn:

Word is, it'll be $399.

I have several years worth of games to get through for both the PS3 and Xbox360 so I will be in the same boat. Then again I have a ten year old son, so I may not make it that long. :facepalm:

Everyone says this in the final year of a console, myself included. Once E3 hits and the media hype starts building, this reasonable thinking turns into DO WANT.

Word is, it'll be $399.

Everyone says this in the final year of a console, myself included. Once E3 hits and the media hype starts building, this reasonable thinking turns into DO WANT.

:ohnoez:

Being that I am as big a goofball for this stuff as my son, you are probably right.

I still have my original Xbox, two PS ones and a Nintendo 64 sitting around. I think I finished all the games I wanted too on there. lol

Word is, it'll be $399.

:ohnoez:

Being that I am as big a goofball for this stuff as my son, you are probably right.

I still have my original Xbox, two PS ones and a Nintendo 64 sitting around. I think I finished all the games I wanted too on there. lol

If the rumors are true and both the new Xbox and Playstation debut at $399, it'll be really hard for me to resist, especially since at that price point, a drop won't come for at least 2 years after launch.

Unfortunately for me and my wallet, gaming is most fun to me when I'm jumping on the newest stuff, whether it's games at a full $60 on launch day, or consoles at launch. Luckily I no longer collect children's literature entombed in expensive plastic.

I'm not buying into any more gaming systems. they make them too fast to keep up.

Current gen is 6 years old...SIX YEARS...how often do you replace your iphone Mr McSheep ?

Am curious though about the new x-box. Anyone know any details about the 720?

Flip Flop...

(: