• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Both companies are likely aiming to set up some sort of streaming service for their back catalog, so backwards compatibility or lack thereof probably won't make much of a difference.

lol, do you really think Sony is going to give this service away for free?

So I paid 60 bucks for FarCry 3 and they'll make me pay another 60 bucks to play it digital streaming on the PS4? Yeah, I'll be signing my wallet up to be raped real soon. lol

Of course not, I didn't say it would be free, and I'm not suggesting that after buying a library of games for the PS3, you should have to shell out again to play your backlog new system. I'm in the same boat as you; I have both systems, but a much larger library on the PS3, so I'd love to see BC. Ultimately though, the industry is heading in a different direction, and I don't think BC will really matter much in the long run. In fact, if the new Xboxs are backwards compatible, I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed a year or so in, like it was with the PS3.

Both companies are likely aiming to set up some sort of streaming service for their back catalog, so backwards compatibility or lack thereof probably won't make much of a difference.

So I paid 60 bucks for FarCry 3 and they'll make me pay another 60 bucks to play it digital streaming on the PS4? Yeah, I'll be signing my wallet up to be raped real soon. lol

Yeah you are probably right. Why give away bc when u can provide it online now that the psn network is up, and why give it away free when ppl will pay. Nobody is going to pay 60 bucks for an older game but 10 might fly and 10 is 10 more than zero, plus the costs of digital dstn to sony will be way less than the costs of upgrading hardware so its a win win for them

I think next gen is going to be all about revenue streams, both with older games and newer. I'd expect a stream service to operate similarly to the way Netflix works. I'm also expecting pay-to-play multiplayer.

[. I'm also expecting pay-to-play multiplayer.

:sick:

Actually, I really hope this happens.

As it stands right now, we have a lot of primarily single-player games with tacked-on multiplayer components because developers feel pressure to add multiplayer to their games. What pay-to-play could result in is more focused experiences on both the multiplayer and singleplayer sides, instead of token 4 hour campaigns added to shooters like call of duty, or throw-away multiplayer added to games like God of War, Tomb Raider or Mass Effect where they don't really belong.

interesting take. hm

On a separate note, I was putting away that mm3 box film I showed into my small collection of such items and just looking at some of the other ones for fun when I noticed something JUST NOW for the very first time.

I have two films of the cover image of mega man 3 and I never noticed it until now but they are separate images.

The first file is the image at retail, the second file must clearly be an earlier cut. So good people of this thread, I present, for the first time anywhere, the original unpublished version of the mega man 3 cover image!

Note all the changes they made including:

- suit was originally one tone not the familiar two tone

- had more angular features and bigger eyes

- a larger yellow chasm on the floor

- an extra moon in the sky

- totally changing the way the electricity was illustrated

etc

The first pic is the retail version, the 2nd pic is the early version

133877.jpg.0729550bc3ab028cbd63458fc247d417.jpg

133878.jpg.ca5db4a070b09c977db8f198ab04db6e.jpg

Yeah you are probably right. Why give away bc when u can provide it online now that the psn network is up, and why give it away free when ppl will pay. Nobody is going to pay 60 bucks for an older game but 10 might fly and 10 is 10 more than zero, plus the costs of digital dstn to sony will be way less than the costs of upgrading hardware so its a win win for them

I think next gen is going to be all about revenue streams, both with older games and newer. I'd expect a stream service to operate similarly to the way Netflix works. I'm also expecting pay-to-play multiplayer.

don't they already have this in games today stuff like wow ect heck with xbox you have to buy member ship for a year & they also give you month options as well to play online

Edited by synch

They definitely went with the right one. Megaman looks like he's on crack in the earlier one.

Just picked up L.A. Noire. Has anyone else played this? Thoughts?

I thought it was great. There's definitely nothing else like it out there on current systems and I liked the story and slower pace of the game.

I thought it was great. There's definitely nothing else like it out there on current systems and I liked the story and slower pace of the game.

It was fantastic and I wish they would make another, but they won't.

+1 awesome game that captured the feel of American Noir for the time.

How about video game OA?

I like to get some original OA Street Fighter or Zelda art.

Anybody know of where I would look for video game original art?

hm

I loved video game art.

Back in the 80s the art made you think, wow this is what the games going to be like! Then you load up that Spectrum game and feel so cheated. lol

One that springs to mind is Ikari Warriors.

[in fact, if the new Xboxs are backwards compatible, I wouldn't be surprised if it's removed a year or so in, like it was with the PS3.

Agreed, and that would be cool with me. Just put BC in the first year's systems so we can play through our backlog and then get rid of it if you want.

But to not include it at all is kind of insane, and will really give Microsoft a big advantage. If I have a library full of PS3 games and I'm looking at the Xbox 720 that should tell you something.

How about video game OA?

hm

:bump:

I am pretty curious too. I wonder how much box art has made it onto the market.

How about video game OA?

hm

:bump:

I am pretty curious too. I wonder how much box art has made it onto the market.

Not SF or Zelda but an Avengers cover. Still a videogame OA though. Leinil told me the cover is still with his art rep Kwan Chang.

Marvel-Avengers-Battle-for-Earth-Xbox-360-_.jpg

524906_4055292058616_669223372_n.jpg

We might see another in the future. It was commercially successful, and even though Team Bondi left Rockstar, Rockstar did retain the IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel a few years down the road. Rockstar isn't known for shelving successful IPs, but they do take their time putting out games.

Speaking of Rockstar, GTA V is due out in the spring. Anyone else excited? A new GTA is always an event.

GTA5-grand-theft-auto-32732256-600-732.jpeg

We might see another in the future. It was commercially successful, and even though Team Bondi left Rockstar, Rockstar did retain the IP. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel a few years down the road. Rockstar isn't known for shelving successful IPs, but they do take their time putting out games.

I seemed to recall reading an article saying it wasn't going to happen, but that might've been tied to Team Bondi leaving. So who knows? The ending seems to preclude a direct sequel though.

In the midst of Googling, I see Bondi is developing a game called Whore of the Orient, set in Shanghai, scheduled for 2015. :(

I seemed to recall reading an article saying it wasn't going to happen, but that might've been tied to Team Bondi leaving. So who knows? The ending seems to preclude a direct sequel though.

In the midst of Googling, I see Bondi is developing a game called Whore of the Orient, set in Shanghai, scheduled for 2015. :(

It probably said it won't happen, as in we won't have another Team Bondi made L.A. Noire. And yeah, most likely not a direct sequel, but they can make unrelated stories in every installment, like they do with GTA.

Shanghai in the 1930s will be an incredible historical backdrop if they can pull it off. They've got the skill clearly, let's just hope their new employers give them whatever they need; I know that L.A. Noire cost a buttload to make. And yeah, it's on next gen consoles.