• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

You could theoretically never buy a game again if you have 10 friends who do.

Amazing, amazing feature.

Except that the share feature only applies to single player content, and you can only play the game if the other 8 people on the list aren't playing it at that time. Have fun.

I posted a thread about this in the water cooler... did not realize I should post it here in Comics General...

What to do...

The only microsoft product I use (outside of Word for my mac) is the X-Box 360 which has provided reliable service since I bought it in 2005.

Do I make the jump to PS3?

The majority of games I buy are used over half.com or eBay. I can wait the two months for a game to get it $15 - $30 cheaper.

What to do... what to do....

How many games do you have for your current console? I have maybe 150. My friends would be welcome to play any of the 149 I am not.

Adding my friends games, we probably have maybe 300 different titles. How compelling to think I could choose from any of them.

The online check is to stop piracy. As a non-pirate who has the internet, bothers me not a bit. I also have a phone to tether if my internet went down (never has, 10 years).

I posted a thread about this in the water cooler... did not realize I should post it here in Comics General...

What to do...

The only microsoft product I use (outside of Word for my mac) is the X-Box 360 which has provided reliable service since I bought it in 2005.

The majority of games I buy are used over half.com or eBay. I can wait the two months for a game to get it $15 - $30 cheaper.

Get whatever system brings you joy. That being said, if you do choose the Xbox One just understand that there will be certain restrictions. Whether this has an effect on the future of video gaming has yet to be seen. However, judging by how myself and others who are actively involved in the second hand market and the business overall view this console I would say it is already being viewed negatively. I understand that true Xbox 'diehards' will attempt to defend Microsoft's decision, but I will not. I always said that both DRM and emulation would eventually greatly impact the video game industry. I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Guest Grails

Except that the share feature only applies to single player content, and you can only play the game if the other 8 people on the list aren't playing it at that time. Have fun.

Hey, it's still amazing! But seriously, when I was in Baghdad, our downtime was spent on the 360. The majority of gamers there had the 360 over PS3. And whenever a new game came in, it would make its rounds from team to team just like our DVD's. This will be a thing of the past. The PS4 is the only sensible choice now. And I hate giving up Halo.

What to do...

Get whatever system brings you joy. That being said, if you do choose the Xbox One just understand that there will be certain restrictions. Whether this has an effect on the future of video gaming has yet to be seen. However, judging by how myself and others who are actively involved in the second hand market and the business overall view this console I would say it is already being viewed negatively. I understand that true Xbox 'diehards' will attempt to defend Microsoft's decision, but I will not. I always said that both DRM and emulation would eventually greatly impact the video game industry. I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Or just wash my hands of the whole ordeal and not buy into either... lol

How many games do you have for your current console? I have maybe 150. My friends would be welcome to play any of the 149 I am not.

Adding my friends games, we probably have maybe 300 different titles. How compelling to think I could choose from any of them.

The online check is to stop piracy. As a non-pirate who has the internet, bothers me not a bit. I also have a phone to tether if my internet went down (never has, 10 years).

I have a lot also, and have purchased 200-300 games across both consoles (360 and PS3) over the course of this generation.

This game sharing feature hasn't even been fully explained yet, other than what has been said here. And why can't this feature be done without all of the restrictions?

The direction Xbox is taking is in no way beneficial to you as a consumer who purchases lots of games. The DRM to combat piracy excuse is weaksauce. What's much more compelling than the marginal effect of piracy on consoles is the profit potential in taking away game ownership from consumers and selling them a license to play the game instead. This makes you dependent on the cloud, on micro-transactions for content, and it makes you much more susceptible to gouging through "pay to play" models.

Again, I don't want Xbox to fail. I want two strong competitors in the market. The issue is that, as of right now, they're taking away rights and not giving much in return.

Hey, it's still amazing! But seriously, when I was in Baghdad, our downtime was spent on the 360. The majority of gamers there had the 360 over PS3. And whenever a new game came in, it would make its rounds from team to team just like our DVD's. This will be a thing of the past. The PS4 is the only sensible choice now. And I hate giving up Halo.

Not only is it more sensible, but it sends a strong message that consumers want to retain their rights on the products they buy. The idea of overlooking one's own rights because of some absurd sense of brand loyalty is insanity.

What to do...

Both the 360 and PS3 are great. Look at the exclusive titles for each, and decide which games look better to you.

I've owned both since launch, and I tell people that if you want single-player go PS3 because they have amazing exclusives; if you want multi-player and other online functionality, go 360.

What to do...

Both the 360 and PS3 are great. Look at the exclusive titles for each, and decide which games look better to you.

I've owned both since launch, and I tell people that if you want single-player go PS3 because they have amazing exclusives; if you want multi-player and other online functionality, go 360.

Apologies, I meant PS4.... as of now with everything I am reading I am leaning towards the PS4 and selling off all things Microsoft.

My 360 is on it's last legs... if there is no release day backward compatibility then there is no use for my old games anyway.

I do not buy and keep a lot of games so I buy used games and as soon as I am done with them I put them up for sale. If I have to pay a fee to play a used game that is annoying. To me that is like if Marvel found a way to charge people for reading someone else's comic books.

In that case, I would definitely go with the PS4 which will allow you to buy, sell and play games just as you did on the 360.

Someone said it best right after E3: "Sony changed everything by changing nothing".

In that case, I would definitely go with the PS4 which will allow you to buy, sell and play games just as you did on the 360.

Someone said it best right after E3: "Sony changed everything by changing nothing".

Great quote :grin:

I really hope MSFT changes their mind on the DRM issues. I don't think we've seen a product line that succeeds with severe limitations on subsequent purchasers. I'm thinking of DIVx specifically.

After reading for a few hours,

I am going to miss some of my online friends,

my achievement score

playing against and with my cousin

and I will be looking to start selling all of my remaining games soon. It does not make sense to keep things I cannot use.

Looks like I am pre-ordering the PS4 from Amazon

Edited by Buzzetta

uh read the fine print...no simultaneous play :gossip:

That means you cant even both play a game coop or do any online mutiplayer unless you each have a copy, let alone both just play a single player game at the same time...10 people taking turns on one game equals not a fun time.

Edited by Shaven Kev

Microsoft's got deep pockets, so if they get mauled by Sony this holiday season, the first place they will be likely to yield is price. They'll knock $100 or maybe even $200 off the price of this thing long before they either alter the online functionality of the system or touch the DRM issue which involves publishers.