• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

just seen Microsoft make a huge announcement and they are going back on what they were doing due to being outsold by the PS4, dont need net all time now and can now play used/swapped games haha they have melted

wow, CAVED. lol Smart move for them though. It was cave or get DESTROYED. This way it'll hurt them but this memory will pass in time. If they hadn't changed it, xbone would have been years of bad press.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't made a play for the home console market... (shrug)

If anything the industry needs one machine less, not one machine more. I would say its not a market they need to go into.

Then again, I would have said the same thing about the phone market before the iphone

If anything the industry needs one machine less, not one machine more. I would say its not a market they need to go into.

Then again, I would have said the same thing about the phone market before the iphone

Apple is hedging the casual gamers market. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading a story that said that more games are played on Apple devices than consoles and other smartphones/tablets.

Apple is hedging the casual gamers market. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading a story that said that more games are played on Apple devices than consoles and other smartphones/tablets.

Those are just casual games that dont compare to the console pc games.

Oh and I see they took away all the sharing features too. I'm kind of shocked, but they must have been under major pressure at retail for this to happen. They dont just listen to customers and do what they say...ever.
From what I can tell, the sharing feature was pretty tied into the whole DRM piece. Can't have one without the other. Otherwise, people just buy the game, load it to the harddrive and them sell it the same day. Then, they share it with all their friends, also for free.

The funny thing is that Microsoft can still add the used game/DRM restriction at any time. It's built into the platform and buried in their EULA. So who's to say that they'd all of a sudden apply these restrictions? Quite frankly, I cannot trust them. Also, I believe they still require to have the Kinect camera connected. They're just a company that I have completely lost respect for especially with some of their employers' responses to questions we had regarding their system.

Edited by Lucid Enigma

just seen Microsoft make a huge announcement and they are going back on what they were doing due to being outsold by the PS4, dont need net all time now and can now play used/swapped games haha they have melted

wow, CAVED. lol Smart move for them though. It was cave or get DESTROYED. This way it'll hurt them but this memory will pass in time. If they hadn't changed it, xbone would have been years of bad press.

Beaten into submission. The internet works!

They'll have a little stink on them for some time to come, but if they stick with these changes long enough, people will forget.

Beaten into submission. The internet works!

They'll have a little stink on them for some time to come, but if they stick with these changes long enough, people will forget.

I won`t for awhile. They were arrognant,and now they have to eat crow! :)

Let`s also thank Sony,as they could have entered into a collusion with Microsoft about charging an extra fee for used games,but they didn`t.

My money`s still going to the PS4.

:cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Those are just casual games that dont compare to the console pc games.

Apple isn't trying to compare or compete with console or pc games. My point is that the casual game market is a big revenue maker for apple. No telling how much my family has spent on little 99 cent games across 3 or 4 different smart phones over the past few years.

Truth be told though smartphones and tablets are getting more powerful. Its already been proven that WoW can be played on an IPad. Steam is available for macs now. No reason for apple to get into making hardware - consoles - that are going to be largely replaced by HTPC's in the next decade. They already have Apple TV for that.

Microsoft might have caved on restrictions, but at the end of the day..... It's still $100 more out of the gate, and that hurts. I had an opportunity to reserve both and chose PS4 for two reasons: price and XBOX BS restrictions.

They killed the family share plan which was the feature i was looking forward to. So now instead of getting 1 copy of halo and playing co-op with my brother in Arizona we each need to get a copy now.

The ability to share games with friends without giving them the disc was a cool idea. Hopefully they will find a way to add it back in in the future.

My main gripe with the Xbone other than the DRM actually wasn't addressed; it's the fact that it doesn't function without the Kinect. And the Kinect is the reason it's $100 more. It sucks. I have a bunch of workout equipment including a giant treadmill in the same room that I game, so I just don't have the space to make that thing work. The fact that it's necessary for the Xbone to even turn on is sad.

Agreed on all pts. I am also glad that fan reaction was so vociferous - it will make all of the manufacturers hesitant to pull this kind of stunt again.

The industry is headed in a digital-only direction, but it's going to take a solid decade to get there. It has to evolve naturally, and what the Xbone was trying to do was force it before the consumer base was ready.

I would still approach the Xbone cautiously. They can turn on DRM or "always online" with a simple software update, and they've shown their cards. So I'm still weary about their console. PS4 only for me, for the foreseeable future.