• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

They killed the family share plan which was the feature i was looking forward to. So now instead of getting 1 copy of halo and playing co-op with my brother in Arizona we each need to get a copy now.

The ability to share games with friends without giving them the disc was a cool idea. Hopefully they will find a way to add it back in in the future.

ummm no co-op play...

I'm surprised Apple hasn't made a play for the home console market... (shrug)

They can't create an OS that runs smoothly enough to play a decent game on.

They killed the family share plan which was the feature i was looking forward to. So now instead of getting 1 copy of halo and playing co-op with my brother in Arizona we each need to get a copy now.

The ability to share games with friends without giving them the disc was a cool idea. Hopefully they will find a way to add it back in in the future.

ummm no co-op play...

The way i saw it explained, you could play co-op with a shared copy. That was an awesome idea.

After this change i may cancel my per order and stay with the 360. The best feature is gone.

What they should have done was built the thing without a drive and said download only.

This would have been cool.

It’s already been confirmed that two people in your ‘family’ will be able to access the same files simultaneously although we are unsure if this relates to full ‘retail’ games, ‘arcade’ titles or both.

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/06/15/xbox-one-owners-can-share-games-with-up-to-10-family-or-non-family-members/

You could theoretically never buy a game again if you have 10 friends who do.

Amazing, amazing feature.

uh read the fine print...no simultaneous play :gossip:

That means you cant even both play a game coop or do any online mutiplayer unless you each have a copy, let alone both just play a single player game at the same time...10 people taking turns on one game equals not a fun time.

The rules say only one person per shared copy, so co-op is still a go. (At least that's what it sound like)

Spencer is pressed upon the issue whether two people can play the same shared game at the same time, stating that he believes that is the case. The policy stated above, however, only says "any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time," which sounds like it's one at a time.

Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi spoke to Ars Technica, reconfirming that the ten "family" members could be anyone, even someone who is in another city. Users will be able to grant access to other XBL accounts to their shared games library, but Ars Technica notes "only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time."

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54648/ms-confirms-xbox-one-family-sharing-feature-allows-up-to-any-ten-people

The way I read this is I have a copy of Halo and you are on my friends list. You can play single player at the same time i am playing single player. We can also do co-op since you are sharing my copy and I am the actuall owner. I could be missing something here, but this is how I read it.

My question is, how do I kick someone off a shared game while they are playing. My brother and i want to do co-op but you are currently play my shared copy, how do I kick you out? Can I kick you out? Still a lot of questions, but for now it sounds cool.

Not that this matters anymore since the family plan is gone, but the plan was to allow the owner of the game to play it at the same time as any of the 10 "friends" on his list. The owner of the game would be playing the game using the disc copy, while the friend would be playing the cloud-based copy.

Agreed on all pts. I am also glad that fan reaction was so vociferous - it will make all of the manufacturers hesitant to pull this kind of stunt again.

The industry is headed in a digital-only direction, but it's going to take a solid decade to get there. It has to evolve naturally, and what the Xbone was trying to do was force it before the consumer base was ready.

I would still approach the Xbone cautiously. They can turn on DRM or "always online" with a simple software update, and they've shown their cards. So I'm still weary about their console. PS4 only for me, for the foreseeable future.

Good point. They will eventually get what they want.It will just be slowly implemented now. It should be interesting in 5 years to see how much Xbox One does lean to a digital only direction. hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

Great article explaining how the Xbox one would have worked. That was the device that I ordered, not what is coming now.

Of course with any luck they will make digital sharing an option in the future.

The Xbox One Just Got Way Worse, And It's Our Fault

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905

Great article explaining how the Xbox one would have worked. That was the device that I ordered, not what is coming now.

Of course with any luck they will make digital sharing an option in the future.

Not a well thought-out article.

So this guy is confidently laying out how the X1 was going to work when Microsoft didn't even go into that much detail or answer questions that, if the scenario laid out in this article was true, would have been very, very easy to answer? That's silly. Even if his suppositions were dead-on, Microsoft did a horrible job at communicating, and that's ultimately why they had to backtrack. Still Microsoft's fault, even if his scenario was exactly how things would have played out.

And guess what? Things would NOT have played out that way. The Steam model will not work on consoles now because the internet infrastructure just isn't there yet. And the idea that developers would lower the prices on used games under this new paradigm is completely ridiculous. Steam doesn't answer to stockholders, so they can do things console manufacturers can't, like offer crazy discounts. Further, game budgets are going up, not down. Even with an increase in revenue from the sale of these "licenses", third-party developers serving both consoles won't charge $60 for one version of their game and $30 for another; it would never happen. They aren't going to leave money on the table when the $60 pricing model for games has been well established for two decades.

The loss of the sharing program is the only valid part of that article. But you have to ask yourself why the option still can't exist, and the answer is, once again, Microsoft.

I don't know why Microsoft even bothers. X-Box is a pet project for them and is peanuts in their world.

Given the headache involved with everything, I'm shocked they haven't already pulled the plug and left everyone hanging.

I don't know why Microsoft even bothers. X-Box is a pet project for them and is peanuts in their world.

Given the headache involved with everything, I'm shocked they haven't already pulled the plug and left everyone hanging.

not really ... http://marketingland.com/microsoft-posts-21b-in-revenue-xbox-may-beat-windows-revenues-soon-3914

Dude, Spoilers!

You just ruined Microsofts next press conference. lol

Pet project? The Xbox is putting Microsoft right where it wants to be - in the living room.

I'd say the Windows phone is more of a pet project than the Xbox.

I've been critical of the direction of the Xbox one, but its doing exactly what microsoft wants. Its more of an entertainment machine rather than a gaming machine. Its taking multiple devices - gaming system, blu ray player, roku/streaming media player, cable box - and combining them all.

You still need a cable box...not that I have cable, but you are going into the Xbox One from your cable box...if they were smart it would be a dvr too.

Having both a 360 and a ps3, the ps3 is far superior for streaming and handling non-gaming content. Netflix is way better on ps3 by a pretty wide margin. The app on xbox has trouble handling my large queue.

I heard and I could be wrong in order to access Netflix and other non X-box Content you need to have a Xbox gold account on teh Xbox 1.

With PS4 you do not need to have any kind of membership

I heard and I could be wrong in order to access Netflix and other non X-box Content you need to have a Xbox gold account on teh Xbox 1.

That's standard, you need gold on the 360.

That is correct for Xbox. Think so on the PS4, but you will need PS Plus to play mutliplayer on the PS4.

That is correct for Xbox. Think so on the PS4, but you will need PS Plus to play mutliplayer on the PS4.

On PS4 no Plus needed to access Netflix but yes on the Multiplayer.

Kida sucks you end up paying twice for Nextflix on Xbox