• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I feel like an old man :preach: talking about pulps :preach: to a crowd reading books off the newstand ;) but if anybody cares I posted a piece of arcade machine OA here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6809699#Post6809699

That is freaking badazz. :applause:

I'm sorry but if anyone is buying an xbox or ps to access Netflix, they are doing it wrong.

Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't have a roku, apple tv, app loaded tv or blu ray player. I am curious though - do they offer anything more than an xbox or playstation?

The roku is ease of use. My wife hobby is quilting. While she is making a new quilt she likes to have some background noise. I got her a tv and a roku for her quilting room. We then subscribed to Netflix and Amazon prime. Now she has a wide range of shows to watch. Last i checked she was going through the seasons of My Name is Earl and Quincy. It's easy to setup, easy to use and just works. If we hooked up the xbox to her tv she would be frustrated, to many screens. Dont get me wrong i use Netflix through the xbox, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Maybe the experience with the xbox one will be easier, but I don't see how you can improve on the roku. I recommend it for anyone who has Netflix.

As for channels there are to many for me to list, just go here:

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/movies-and-tv/by-popular

So while the Netflix option on the xbox/ps is nice, I don't see this as being a factor in getting either system. To many easier ways of accessing the service.

I see your point, but even at $299 I think the PS3 is a worthwhile purchase as a media player because you're getting a quality blu ray player along with streaming options like netflix.

For those of you that like loot-driven action RPGs/dungeon crawlers, I recommend Dragon's Dogma by Capcom. It is easily one of the most bizarre but highly addictive games I've played this generation. I've been plugging away at it for 6 months or so and have racked up 70+ hours, and I still haven't even come close to unlocking my character's full potential.

Dragon's Dogma is as addictive to me as Skyrim is. It has a nonsensical story, boring characters, and the world feels lifeless. But the combat, epic boss battles, and depth of customizing your character and your main companion is unparalleled. DD destroys Skyrim in these areas. If you could combine the combat and customization of Dragon's Dogma with the world and quest system of Skyrim, you'd have the perfect RPG.

For those of you that like loot-driven action RPGs/dungeon crawlers, I recommend Dragon's Dogma by Capcom. It is easily one of the most bizarre but highly addictive games I've played this generation. I've been plugging away at it for 6 months or so and have racked up 70+ hours, and I still haven't even come close to unlocking my character's full potential.

Dragon's Dogma is as addictive to me as Skyrim is. It has a nonsensical story, boring characters, and the world feels lifeless. But the combat, epic boss battles, and depth of customizing your character and your main companion is unparalleled. DD destroys Skyrim in these areas. If you could combine the combat and customization of Dragon's Dogma with the world and quest system of Skyrim, you'd have the perfect RPG.

Have you tried Demon's/Dark Souls COI? If so does Dogma compare at all?

If not...play them :baiting:

Have you tried Demon's/Dark Souls COI? If so does Dogma compare at all?

If not...play them :baiting:

Yep, have them both. Haven't finished either, but I put a good chunk of time into both.

I would say that DD has more in common with the Souls games than Skyrim. If playing on normal, your character is weak and your gear sucks for the first 20 levels, and bigger enemies can one-shot kill you. By the time you're at level 50, you can cut through most of the core game on normal with no trouble. Enemies don't level with you. However, the "Dark Arisen" expansion adds a massive dungeon that will eat you alive below level 50, and is still challenging at level 100+ (level cap is 200).

Go get the game, I think you'll really like it. If you buy DD: Dark Arisen, you get the main game and the entire expansion.

I didn't even get into the unique "Pawn system" and all the cool online integration. For example, there is an online dragon you can fight; when you enter his den, you have 8 minutes to do as much damage as you can. If you kill the dragon, you get massive rewards; if you don't, the dragon remains injured for the next person who faces it. Conversely, you may enter the den and find the dragon near death.

And btw, the dragon fights in this game DESTROY the dragon fights in Skyrim. Much more exciting.

Thanks for the tip, I loved the Souls games and if this plays even closely to them I'd like it. The fact you could die from any enemy was challenging and exciting. I had only seen a few reviews of dogma, some good, some not so much.

Most say the companion system was pretty neat.

(Thumbs u

Glad to see people still play MW2 lol

Got 2 games in tonight

360 or PS3?

MW2, MW3, and the original Black Ops are STILL in the top 20 for xbox live activity:

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/26/live-activity-for-week-of-june-17/

Fable III jumped back up there because its free to download this month for xbox live gold members.

I'm on PS3. Just bought MW3 as well. These games are just plain fun. And I've never played the campaign on any of them. But after playing campaign on Killzone 3 for a while I think I'll play through all these games. I'll also be on the lookout for Black Ops 1 and 2 pretty soon.

Anyone playing Deadpool, apart from some dodgy controls at times its a real fun game and funny story
Ive been playing it its pretty fun and has a good selection of weapons and attacks. The controls can be funky, but im hoping they'll release a patch to fix that soon.

Anyone playing Deadpool, apart from some dodgy controls at times its a real fun game and funny story
Ive been playing it its pretty fun and has a good selection of weapons and attacks. The controls can be funky, but im hoping they'll release a patch to fix that soon.

My wife just bought the Deadpool game for our anniversary. While there's nothing groundbreaking in the game, and the aiming with the guns can be a bit tough at times, I am enjoying the hell out of the game. The story is just straight goofy fun and the jokes and banter are hilarious. Go into the game just to have fun, and you'll love it.

FYI - Xbox is having a pretty awesome sale today. Borderlands 2 for $9.99 today only. I picked up the original Mass Effect because I've always wanted to play it for just $4.99.

Borderlands and a few others are only good for today. New deals tomorrow and each day after until July 5th.

More info here: Xbox Ultimate Game Sale

hm I am now back at leaning towards the X-Box One...

Now that the DRM issue has been scrapped... I buy mostly used games.