• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I feel bad neglecting my ps4, but I got rocksmith 2014 and its a great improvement on an already fun learning tool. My fingers are sore but I'm making progress :)

:headbang:

I just restarted playing Rocksmith, but not the 2014 one. Downloaded Gary Clark Jr's single Bright Lights. Awesome game.

As requested here is my Xbone review.

The console itself is big but not very heavy, the Kinect camera is heaver (or at least if feels it) and yes there is a power brick but if that is what they needed to do to prevent a replay of the RROD then that's fine with me. I'm guessing this will keep the fan at a lower speed since there is less heat inside without the power brick. This make the box itself very quite. If you stand real close and there isn't any other sounds in the room, you will hear the fan, otherwise nothing. Think of your cable box, that quite. Over all it's not much to look at, just a box. People have said it looks like an old VCR and that is a good description.

The controller is just slightly smaller and lighter than the 360 controller. The size of the controller doesn't bother me but it took a day for me to adjust to the weight. The buttons feel the same but the triggers feel much better. It's like they are contoured to your fingers. They also have force feedback motors but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The battery life on it is incredible. It comes with two free Duracell AA batteries that I have yet to change, and that is with some heavy use since Friday. Overall if you liked the 360 controller then you will like the new one.

Kinect, the one thing that gets everyone fired up. Love it or hate it you need it to use the Xbox. At first I was against it since I never used the old one, but now I sort of like it. Having it record a video during a game is great (more on that later) Navigating the system is great when it works and by that I mean saying the right phrase. For example I will say "Goto Forza Motorsport 5" and the game will start. After a little while you can tell it to watch TV. Now to go back to the game you need to say "resume" since it is in a paused state, but if you say "goto" it will just sit there and wait for your command. So while it can be frustrating at times it has to do with me not using the correct words and not the device not understanding me.

As for a game I downloaded sports rivals but have yet to play it. Friends will be visiting this weekend so we'll be able to test it with their kids. Kids love motion control. Finally it is kinect that signs you in. As soon as it sees you it says hello and logs you in. That feature made my step-son say cool.

One feature that I like and I think a lot of people have found is the record function. Something cool happens in a game you just say "Xbox record that" and the last 30 seconds are saved. You can then edit the clip and upload it to both Xbox live and your skydrive. Here is a clip I made from one of my Forza games.

Nothing special (other than I can't drive) but it gives you an idea.

The only game I have is Forza so I will talk about that a little. It's a beautiful looking game but it doesn't feel complete. The other versions had a lot more tracks and cars. Also this one is setup in a new way that forces you to complete a series before you can move on. One thing they did change is you now race other people while playing the single player game. You will race the Drivatar of other Forza players. What the system does is it learns how you drive over a number of races. Once it has enough info it will place you in races and drives like you. I know it works for a friend sent me a message saying how my guy is a jerk and keeps smashing into him. That is another feature, it you have any friends with the game their Drivatar will appear in your game. While cool it can be frustrating if you have a friend that is really good.

The game is fun and if you have played Forza in the past and like it you will like this, just wait for it to be discounted, it's not a $60.00 game.

If you have a 360 you will see some of the same apps, Netflix, Amazon, IE. You will also get an improved ESPN and the NFL network. Of course to get the full functionally of these apps you need to subscribe to them through your cable company. Since I currently don't I can't give a full review on them, but next year I think I will add ESPN and NFL back into the mix just to see what they offer. No need to do that now with the season almost over.

The one guide is nice and it worked well with the cable box. Just tell the Xbox what channel you want and it will go right to it. This helps for my wife can't remember channel numbers so she just says go to ABC or go to A&E and off it goes. You can also control the volume by telling it to go up, down or mute. I know it's easy to use the remote but when you can't find it or your on the other end of the room, voice is nice.

I can't comment on the drive for I have yet to use it. My copy of Forza is the digital copy. I really need to try a disc and make sure it's OK.

There are a few things I don't like. The main thing being the download speed. I have a 75/50 FiOS connection and it took hours to download Forza. Not sure the actual time for I went to bed before when it was at 10%. I know it's not my connection for others have said the same thing. So far this hasn't affected online play that seems just fine.

I'm not liking that games are currently on sale at stores but the digital copies are still full price. I would like to go to an all digital library but not at a higher expense.

I can't figure out how to get my TV and sound system to turn off when I tell the Xbox to turn off. I believe it can do that but so far it hasn't done it.

Now am I happy with the system? Yes. It can do a lot of what I want making watching TV easier and nicely organized. I can now add my wife to my live account at no extra charge and she can do her fitness apps through kinect. I will still play the games I like (Halo 5 is coming) and so far 6 of my online friends have already purchased the system. I would encourage anyone who has a 360 to purchase an Xbox One, I feel they won't be disappointed.

Now if you got through all that rambling congratulations. (thumbs u I just hope this review was helpful.

Nice review. (thumbs u

I have to say it: as someone who was and still is excited for this new generation, I feel both launches have been incredibly lack-luster.

Sony's hardware is nice and the price is great, but there's very little to play on it right now. I'm making my way through Killzone's 10 hour campaign because it looks nice and I paid for it, but it's nothing to write home about. It's not bad at all, but the gameplay is very average. The visuals carry it, which means this game will not age well. I'm a single-player type gamer, so I won't comment on MP. Assassin's Creed IV will keep my PS4 on for a long time, but you can have that same experience on the PS3/360 with slightly less detail in the visuals.

Microsoft has a better launch line-up, but not by much. It appears that with Microsoft games are pushing micro transactions and free-to-play models heavily; if this is a sign to come for this generation, I'm a little concerned. Free-to-play isn't bad, but when you buy a $60 game like Forza, it should be a complete experience, and not something you have to keep putting money into in order to get the full experience.

It also seems like both libraries were put out in a mad scramble; games like Ryse on the XBone and Knack on the PS4 are more like tech-demos than actual games.

I wouldn't really encourage anyone to run out and buy either console for the holidays, especially if it's at a premium. The next year will be interesting, and I would say wait until the software libraries of each respective system start filling out before making a decision on which console to buy. Brand loyalty is silly and sends the wrong message; give your money to the company that is making stuff you want.

I know the whole world is talking about Xbox One and PS4

BUT...

A little system slide in a year ago (Wii U) that no one took seriously. The gamepad (controller) looks really cool and with the release of Super Mario 3D World, I think has a shot to get back in the 'game' between the console wars.

What are your thoughts?

I know the whole world is talking about Xbox One and PS4

BUT...

A little system slide in a year ago (Wii U) that no one took seriously. The gamepad (controller) looks really cool and with the release of Super Mario 3D World, I think has a shot to get back in the 'game' between the console wars.

What are your thoughts?

Nintendo lives and dies by its first-party games. The Wii-U is for people who are fans of Nintendo franchises; in that sense, they're niche; popular, but niche none the less. That being said, they will sell lots of Mario games, and they will move consoles, but they are pretty irrelevant in the console wars for two interconnected reasons: 1) their hardware is outdated tech and 2) they don't have much third-party support.

And I don't necessarily think any of that is inherently bad, at least not right now, but they're not going to be in the 'game' as far as the Microsoft/Sony console wars go. Third-party support and technological development are a big part of the business, and the Wii-U will languish in both of those cases. Everyone thought the Wii was pushing innovation, and I suppose at the time they were, but that didn't pan-out very well. While Nintendo made a lot of money on motion controls, the fact that the Wii-U pretty much abandoned them, and the fact that the PS Move and Kinect pretty much failed, demonstrates that it was not the paradigm-shifting move everyone thought it was going to be in 2006-2007.

@COI

I agree with everything said.

I bought my kids a Wii U for Christmas for three reasons:

(1) They are small kids (two girls) and I think they will enjoy Mario and Nintendo games.

(2) The price is hard to beat.

(3) I grew up with Nintendo and there is a nostalgia factor that I want the next generation to appreciate, not just zombie/FPS/GTA type games.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I had a 360, but it got messed up (said kids lol )

Additionally, I read an article that basically said (as you did) that Nintendo is more 'niche' and not really competitng with Sony and Microsoft in the same arena. PS4 and XBone are trying to be the family entertainment center of the room, whereas the Wii U is trying to just be a fun gaming system.

There's room for all of them in the market and I'll probably (eventually) trade in my PS3 for a PS4.

Nevertheless, everyone enjoy your console of choice this holiday season (thumbs u

That's a good move. Nintendo is definitely family/kid-friendly, and for that reason alone I want to see them continue to make consoles.

and the fact that the PS Move and Kinect pretty much failed, demonstrates that it was not the paradigm-shifting move everyone thought it was going to be in 2006-2007.
I hope you are right. I HATE THE MOTION CONTROL KRAP!!! :frustrated:

There are way to many inexpensive games out there for the previous generation systems for me to even think about a PS4 or Xbox One right now.

If you're looking for some REALLY cheap games, be sure to keep an eye on Amazon now for any you're in the market for. If you don't like the current price...you might want to save the link and keep checking it periodically...the prices seem to be changing by the hour.

I just placed an order for the following PS3 games:

• ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection: $9.99 with free shipping

• Tomb Raider (2013): $14.99 with free shipping

• Journey Collector's Edition: $14.99 with free shipping

Grand total for all 3 games shipped: $39.97:banana:

I miss the following old school arcade games: Gauntlet, Q*bert, Ms Pac-Man. With all these brand new systems, these games are impossible to find.

I know there are some Internet versions but without the joystick or controller, they don't feel the same.

You would think with the online games available, they would just keep them on there for a small amount of money. They aren't graphic intensive and I cant imagine them costing much money - so why not just leave them on there?

I order from Best Buy last night "the last of us" for $26.49 with a $10 coupons, it's on sale for $34.99

I want to play that but I think after I'm done all the side stuff in Batman Arkham Origins I'm going straight to the PS4... hm

I order from Best Buy last night "the last of us" for $26.49 with a $10 coupons, it's on sale for $34.99

I want to play that but I think after I'm done all the side stuff in Batman Arkham Origins I'm going straight to the PS4... hm

I was thinking of getting the ps4 around December but then decided to get it around February or March with infamous second son

I picked up both the PS4 and Xbox One. The PS4 as a system is greatly improved over the ps3. The controller alone is amazing. I picked up Knack, Killzone, AC 4, and Lego Marvel. Knack is fun and is your typical action/adventure game from 15 years ago with awesome graphics that give a pixar feel. AC4 and Killzone have been amazing so far, but I haven't really out more than a few hours into them.

For xbox i picked up BF4, COD Ghost, and dead rising 3. Also killer instinct is included but feels unfinished. However it is free. Dead rising alone was the main reason I bought the xbox. With the xbox I cant stand the dashboard. That's probably because I can't stand windows 8 and this uses the same tile system. Installing a game takes about 10-15 mins. Some games you can play mid install but they're limited. With the ps4 I can start playing roughly 15 seconds into an install with some functionality limited too such as mutiplayer.

I play the xbox significantly more, but that is mainly because everyone on my gaming friend list has an xbox versus a dozen or so on PSN. Also i am extremely addicted to achievements over trophies (apprx 140k). I prefer FPS on xbox because of the offset sticks. Right now I prefer the xbox launch games over the PS4. However as a system I prefer the PS4 over the xbox.

Arkham Origins: $29.99 if you have not picked it up yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Origins-Xbox-360/dp/B00C71034I/

Lego Marvel is also on sale at Amazon... also $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Marvel-Xbox-360/dp/B00B98HF1O/

Lot of gaming deals going on right now.

Looks like my cousins are getting games for Christmas.

Just a heads up on some cheap games.

The following PS3 games are currently on Amazon for $9.99 each with free shipping on orders over $35.

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition - for PS3

Borderlands 2 - for PS3

Bioshock 2 - for PS3

Max Payne 3 - for PS3

Or for Xbox 360

Max Payne 3 - for Xbox 360

The Darkness 2 - for Xbox 360

Quick question...

I must admit that I was tempted to take the NES system currently in the mixed threads. However, I am looking for a cheap way to play the games in some reliable sense of the word.

What is the best way to relive the NES?

I was looking at a couple of emulators on Amazon but I did not like the reviews that I saw.

Anyone have some words of wisdom?

Quick question...

I must admit that I was tempted to take the NES system currently in the mixed threads. However, I am looking for a cheap way to play the games in some reliable sense of the word.

What is the best way to relive the NES?

I was looking at a couple of emulators on Amazon but I did not like the reviews that I saw.

Anyone have some words of wisdom?

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-GENESIS-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/B003O3EFY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385956654&sr=8-1&keywords=retron+3