• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Chipping?

9 posts in this topic

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the term. I have this book graded at a 6.0 and was wondering if this is the marvel chipping and just how bad you really think it affects the book. Should I have any long term concerns?

FF4_zps0ff5d26e.jpg

FF4b_zps8de7ce64.jpg

FF4a_zps91cb82bf.jpg

yes, those are marvel chipping.

They don't hurt the books as much below 8.0

CGC is very lenient with them below 8.0

Your book likely have other flaws that kept it at 6.0 more so than the chipping.

Long term, there is always a chance the piece will break loose but that will require a bit of a jar to the slab so handle the slab with care and I don't think you have much to worry about.

Keep in mind that you also have a yellow cover so as far as the attractiveness of the book is concerned, the chipping blends in far more than if the book had a darker cover.

Everyone's different.

Marvel chipping is probably my least most annoying "defect." Very tolerable in my opinion. However I severely dislike miswraps, most date stamps (unless on the backcover) and tape.

So everyone's different so I wouldn't have any long-term concerns. The "grade" is generally what matters most (even though I know it's somewhat subjective and some 6.0's obviously look better than other 6.0's, etc).

Everyone's different.

Marvel chipping is probably my least most annoying "defect." Very tolerable in my opinion. However I severely dislike miswraps, most date stamps (unless on the backcover) and tape.

So everyone's different so I wouldn't have any long-term concerns. The "grade" is generally what matters most (even though I know it's somewhat subjective and some 6.0's obviously look better than other 6.0's, etc).

I find chipping to be as ugly as sin. The fact that pieces of the book are missing is much less desirable than wear/folds regardless of the fact that it is production related IMO.

Dates stamps rock my world as they add to the provenance/nostalgia of the book.

2c

I find chipping to be as ugly as sin. The fact that pieces of the book are missing is much less desirable than wear/folds regardless of the fact that it is production related IMO.

(thumbs u

I've never been able to understand how a tear is graded more harshly than a tear that took a chunk of paper with it, regardless of the cause...

(thumbs u

I've never been able to understand how a tear is graded more harshly than a tear that took a chunk of paper with it, regardless of the cause...

Opinions do vary widely on chipping. I can understand the fact it is a production issue and, due to that, grading is more lenient towards it. But I can also see some collectors really disliking it.

In my day, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being very bothered by it 10 be fully accepting, I was anywhere from a 3 to a 7, depending on the extent of it and the particular book. "Decisive" is my middle name!

(thumbs u

Opinions do vary widely on chipping. I can understand the fact it is a production issue and, due to that, grading is more lenient towards it. But I can also see some collectors really disliking it.

In my day, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being very bothered by it 10 be fully accepting, I was anywhere from a 3 to a 7, depending on the extent of it and the particular book. "Decisive" is my middle name!

If I were buying slabbed mid-high grade Marvels, I'd generally take a book without chipping over one that was .5 - 1.0 higher with chipping, and wouldn't accept it on a 7.5/8.0 book, though the eye-appeal is far less compromised in a light cover than a dark one if the chipping is small, so I'd be far less bothered by say a 5.0 FF #1 with a couple chips along the edge, than I would be an AF #15.