• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF# 514-516

17 posts in this topic

Did anyone ever notice that the covers for these 3 issues are virtually the same. boo.gif Marvel really has to get away from these lame "strike a pose" covers that give you no hint as to what villain's or storyline awaits you. I find it very cheap.

Funny you should mention this, but I had an interesting talk with Greg Horn about this, when he was in Toronto. He said that Marvel asks him to do the covers 6-7 months in advance, sometimes (or most of the time) before the story for that issue has actually been written. So, often, he is just told what to draw and it may have no relevance to the actual story. For example, take a look at the covers he did for Emma Frost. He had done the first 4 before he knew it was an origin story featuring Emma as a teenager. All the covers he did were of an adult Emma. He was never told.

They (Marvel - DC) mostly do this to get the cover in issues of Preview, for stores to order. Hope that helps.

Alex

Did anyone ever notice that the covers for these 3 issues are virtually the same. boo.gif Marvel really has to get away from these lame "strike a pose" covers that give you no hint as to what villain's or storyline awaits you. I find it very cheap.

Funny you should mention this, but I had an interesting talk with Greg Horn about this, when he was in Toronto. He said that Marvel asks him to do the covers 6-7 months in advance, sometimes (or most of the time) before the story for that issue has actually been written. So, often, he is just told what to draw and it may have no relevance to the actual story. For example, take a look at the covers he did for Emma Frost. He had done the first 4 before he knew it was an origin story featuring Emma as a teenager. All the covers he did were of an adult Emma. He was never told.

They (Marvel - DC) mostly do this to get the cover in issues of Preview, for stores to order. Hope that helps.

Alex

I guess it not like the good old days,where the cover art showcased what you were getting inside... makepoint.gif

Alex
I guess it not like the good old days,where the cover art showcased what you were getting inside... makepoint.gif

Does anything sell an issue better than a great cover with great villain's. I don't think so. Time to flip through some not too old copies. frown.gif

This is one of the things that caught my eye when I started collecting. One of the first issues I ever picked up was X-men #151 with Kitty Pryde leaving the X-Men. I picked it up because I wanted to find out why she was leaving.

They lose a lot of potential buyers by not promoting issues by way of the covers. Think of all the new comic book buyers who only look at a cover to decide what to buy. I can only image what happens when they read the book and find out it had nothing to do with the cover.

It is sad, but sometimes the bigger a company gets, the less they spend on details.

Yep. That's what Scott Hanna said too. He also said they were pushing back on Diamond a/b getting stuff done so early. He siad Marvel knows it's a problem. I wonder if they really care?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Alex

Does anything sell an issue better than a great cover with great villain's. I don't think so. Time to flip through some not too old copies. frown.gif

thumbsup2.gif completely agree, I just picked up the new Action Comics because the cover has Wonder Woman standing in front of a 'wiped-out' Superman.

Bill

Yep. That's what Scott Hanna said too. He also said they were pushing back on Diamond a/b getting stuff done so early. He siad Marvel knows it's a problem. I wonder if they really care?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Amazing Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk seem to have gone back to story related covers. Maybe it will migrate to the other titles..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Alex

This is one of the things that caught my eye when I started collecting. One of the first issues I ever picked up was X-men #151 with Kitty Pryde leaving the X-Men. I picked it up because I wanted to find out why she was leaving.

They lose a lot of potential buyers by not promoting issues by way of the covers. Think of all the new comic book buyers who only look at a cover to decide what to buy. I can only image what happens when they read the book and find out it had nothing to do with the cover.

It is sad, but sometimes the bigger a company gets, the less they spend on details.

I started collecting a little earlier around X-Men 109-112 then on to the early 80s when Bryne did the FF. X-Men 140 comes to mind, FF# 211, 249, 258, Thor 337. X-men 194, 211, I could go on all day. Talk about great covers that grabbed you by the throat when they were on the shelf. Thor with the Destroyer on any cover and I'll buy it. That's it I'm going to start a thread this weekend and I will be posting some of awesome these covers. thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Amazing Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk seem to have gone back to story related covers. Maybe it will migrate to the other titles..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

He said that one of the problems for Spider-Man was that they had no idea of even what the plot was that far in advance. He said they were trying to push back on Diamond so they could turn in the cover art a little later and they were working with the writers to at least have the plots for each issue.

Seems to be working for now at least.

Ever seen the covers for the Ultimate FF and "4"? I buy them in SPITE of the covers.

I recently just bought about 80 FF modern back issues from issue 300 and up and while most of the art is good the story lines are a little weak. frown.gif I need another 100 or so to complete my run from about 165 up but I am hesitating to pick up the Ultimate junk, etc because I find the art so unappealing. I will probably buy it just because I'm a fan but not right now.

The art and story right after Byrne left (29x?) and before Simonson took over (330's) was very weak. I thought it picked up after then.

I can understand you not wanting to pick up UFF, but give Marvel Knights 4 a try.

I like all the issues. They really have a sense of humor. I think the story arcs usually run about 3 issues. They are starting a new one with Namor in issue 8.

And I take back my cover comment. Both MK 4 #7 and #8 had issue-oriented covers.